Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Would Have Qualified

They Would Have Qualified

I have sometimes wondered how athletes in other divisions stack up against their counterparts in DI. A look at 2009 indoor season looks like this at this point (Mar 3):

Division II: Men have turned in no DI auto qualifying marks and 32 provisional marks. These included the 60m (3), 400m (4), 800m (2), Mile (1), 5K (3), HJ (2), PV (1), LJ (3), TJ (3), SP (5-The most), weight (4), Multi (1).
    DII Women: 2 auto marks (PV) and 21 provisional marks. Provisionals include 60m (6-The most), 400 (1), Mile (3) , 5k (2), 60H (3), PV (2 auto, 1 prov), wt (2), Multi (3) .
    Division III: Men have reached 1 auto (PV) and 3 provisional: 800 (1), LJ (1), 5k (1).
    DII Women: 1 provisional mark in the mile.
    NAIA Men: No auto marks and 8 provisional: 60m (1), 200m (1), 400m (1), Mile (1), 5k (1), HJ (1), SP (2-the most).
    NAIA Women: No auto marks and 7 provisional: 60m (1), Mile (3-the most), 5k (1), SP (1), weight (1).
    Interesting that all three auto marks from the “other” divisions are in the PV.

In addition, the current High School rankings show that at least 1 HS boy has met a provisional mark in 7 events (60m, 200m, 400m, 60H, HJ, PV and LJ).
    At least 1 HS Girl has met a provisional mark in 4 events (800m, PV, LJ, weight).

The DI men’s event with the most auto qualifiers is the TJ with 11. The least is the HJ with 1. The most entrants on the performance list is the 800m with 57.
    The DI women’s event with the most auto qualifiers is the 3k with 17. The least is the 4x4 relay with 0. The most entrants on the performance list is the mile with 72.

I don't know if it is still true, but there was a time when the individual winners of the D-II NCAA cross country championships (and maybe D-III as well for all I know) would be invited to compete in the D-I championships two days later.

Comment

I heard of such a thing at one time but I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by nmzoo
        I heard of such a thing at one time but I'm pretty sure they don't do that anymore.
        Wasn't a similar thing true if DII and DIII t & f winners met the DI standard at their championships....

Maybe I just made it up in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo
          Wasn't a similar thing true if DII and DIII t & f winners met the DI standard at their championships....

Maybe I just made it up in my head.
          I seem to remember reading somewhere that Edwin Moses competed at the D-I nationals even though he attanded Morehouse College.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
            I don't know if it is still true, but there was a time when the individual winners of the D-II NCAA cross country championships (and maybe D-III as well for all I know) would be invited to compete in the D-I championships two days later.
            I think it was the top 3 or 5 at DII and DIII could go to the DI meet on that Monday. They stopped doing it sometime in the late 1980s I think. One notable high finisher was Mike Slack of DII North Dakota State who finished 3rd behind Pre and Garry Bjorklund in 70 or 71 or so.

Comment

I believe it was similar for track, at least outdoors. You could qualify for the Div I Championships by your place in the Div II/III championships.

Comment

Seamus McElligott from Haverford was the last one I remembered so I did a little hunting and found this-

Sheely was 10th nationally as a freshman and 12th as a senior, while McElligott, a 10,000-meter finalist at the 1992 Olympic Trials, won the 1990 Division III harrier title to become the last small college runner invited into the Division I championship.
                http://www.haverford.edu/athletics/cros ... istory.php

I believe McElligott was also a DI 10,000m All-America honoree.

Comment

I believe Mark Conover ('92 Trials Marathon Champ, now Cal Poly SLO XC coach) is the only person to ever earn All-America status in DIII, DII and DI. When he started at Humboldt State, they were DIII, then moved to DII, and he ran in the DI Nationals (cross country).

On at least one occasion, he ran two national meets in 3 days (Saturday/Monday).

Comment

Originally posted by dl
                    On at least one occasion, he ran two national meets in 3 days (Saturday/Monday).
                    This was the common double for cross country.

Slack finished 3rd in the DI champs in 1972 after winning the College Division.

But Arjan Gelling did him one better, finishing 2nd to Gerry Lindgren in the 1967 race after having won the College Division.

Comment

Working...
                    X