• USOC Chief Scherr Resigns

Timing not the greatest for Chicago.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... htm?csp=34
    There are no strings on me

Re: USOC Chief Scherr Resigns

Originally posted by guru
    Timing not the greatest for Chicago.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... htm?csp=34
    I can't claim to know anything of the personalities/politics involved, but my immediate journalistic reaction is that why can't this perhaps equally be viewed as very good timing for Chicago?

As in, is it possible that he was actually a drag on the Chicago bid.

Once again, this is not a wink-wink-nudge-nudge hint. I know nothing one way or another, but being in that position, I have to think that either view perhaps still has viability.

Comment

Of course, we can only guess the politics at the IOC level, but it would seem to me that if all other factors are equal (and they probably are not), replacing an Olympian with a non-Olympian as CEO of the USOC would be viewed as a minus by at least some IOC members.

An interesting question is how this may effect the USOC - USATF relationship. Jim Scherr is the person who pushed USATF to restructure, but the relationship seemed to have improved of late. Streeter, like Scherr is a non-track & field person, but perhaps the fact that she and Doug Logan both have business backgrounds may help. It may also be that the USOC will have enough internal distractions for a while that they will leave USATF alone.

Comment

Most inside sources loved the job Jim Scherr was doing and were shocked by his dismissal. This seems to be a power struggle on the part of Stephanie Streeter and/or the USOC Executive Board. I talked to a couple people in the past few days but none of the main principles are talking much on the record.

Comment

And despite the initial reports, he was dismissed and only resigned after being asked to do so.

Comment

Let me add to the blind speculation, this free Scherr up to take the GM job at USATF!!!!!! Deal done, USOC has completed the takeover of USATF. 8-)

Comment

Working...
            X