Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Simultaneous Shot Put

How about a 400m race with men and women alternating lanes, men running over hurdles, women - no hurdles.

Similar event over 3000m steeple (men) vs. flat 300m women.

You'd have to match up the time caliber of the competitors but it would be entertaining.

How about a jumpatholon(?). Each competitor gets 3 long jumps and 3 triple jumps, the winner has the longest distance of their best LJ and TJ combined.

Comment

Ya know what I think would be fun to watch? Those same 12 bohemoths lined up across from 12 other bohemoths letting them all fly at once...

Honestly, there are some pretty interesting ideas in this thread--I think they would be fun to watch. Maybe they wouldn't be used all the time, but have like a meet or two a year with that format.

Comment

Anybody else remember a few year's back when the Germans used to do synchro high jump? As I recall, you had two people who had to clear the SAME bar at once, not different ones, and Mögenburg and Thránhardt did 2.24 or 2.25. Maybe Big D will remember for sure.

Comment

Dwight's take:

<<The two teams of knuckleheads were usually Thranhardt and Gerd Nagel (both from the WRONG side) and Mogenburg and Paul Fromeyer. I think the record is 2.25m.

I saw them do it over 2.21m somewhere in Belgium. Pretty cool looking actually but extremely dangerous as you might imagine.>>

Comment

GH: I do remember that synchro high jumping. It was interesting with the jumpers coming at the bar from both sides.

Comment

'Honestly, there are some pretty interesting ideas in this thread--I think they would be fun to watch. Maybe they wouldn't be used all the time, but have like a meet or two a year with that format.'

Exactly. A bit of a circus atmosphere occasionally wouldn't hurt track at all. For example, at the Boston meet instead of Geb running by himself with the rabbits think how much more interesting it would have been with a handicap race and Geb trying to catch everyone. Sure it may not be official but it would be a lot more fun to watch.

Comment

Re: handicaps... Historically, of course, handicap racing has been integral to the sport. In fact, a high percentage of races in US meets of the 1870s-90s were handicaps. In theory, the handicaps were set so that the entire field would finish together. In practice, of course, the best guy usually came out on top, but it was rarely certain until very close to the end. Thus, every race was more or less "paced"...that is, the best guy had lots of other people to catch and pass. As a side note, handicaps were perfect for BETTING--something that, for better or worse, has long been driven from the sport. It's remarkable how much general interest is generated (or was generated) by the whole activity of wagering.

Comment

>Anybody else remember a few year's back when the Germans used to do synchro high jump?

The Germans also have that other great event, the "High Jump With Music", most recently held last Saturday (7 Feb 04) in Arnstadt. http://www.hochsprung-mit-musik.de/index2.htm

I've never seen or read much about it, but I've got this image of the graceful high jumpers competing with blasting classical music.(Although perhaps hip-hop would be more appropriate!)

Comment

I have the synchro record as 2.18 by Jan & Tomas Janku (Cz). What's the official record? (Seems like a difficult record, with 2 jumpers passing over the bar simultaneously. A great spectator event, if presented right!)

Comment

Working...
                    X