Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have no idea what this nonsense is meant to imply

the correlation between indoor & outdoor pbs for american athletes is predicated mostly on form & the remainder on how seriously they take the indoor season

for every kenny harrison or charlie simpkins there is a mike conley or walter davis - no relationship between them & no prediction whatsoever for indoor without knowing how interested they were

Comment

What it's meant to imply can best be explained by this little thought experiment.

Let's pick a US triple jumper good at jumping indoors. Brandon Roulhac will do fine. Suppose he all of a sudden leaves US and moves to Randomia, a country of cold winds, 50-year-old dirt tracks and obscure competitions where the other guys are 16-year-old local boys jumping around 13 meters. Suppose he stays healthy in spite of these inferior conditions and continues his natural development from a 17.00 guy to a 17.40 guy. Now, due to the conditions, he's not going to jump anywhere near that 17.40 in Randomia. Quite the contrary, his results will show stagnation rather than improvement. The one time he does manage to break 17 it gets a +4.8 wind mark attached.

In spite of these difficulties Roulhac manages to stay motivated and is sent to the World Indoor Championships held on a much faster and jumper-friendlier track, with everything rather than nothing on line. Miracle of miracles, Roulhac pulls the surprise of the century by jumping 17.44 - improving his PB by nearly half a meter - and winning.

Had Roulhac stayed in the US rather than moving to Randomia, he'd probably still have jumped 17.44, but his PB would have been something like 17.35 from the previous summer so rather than being a shocker, he'd have come in as one of the favorites.

Comment

"little" is the best way to describe that "thought experiment"

the guy has 16.96pb outdoors, with a 17.16w( 2.1 ) & a 16.94i pb - all in america

try again...

Comment

Don't worry Lopen, I think most sane people can follow what you're saying now. Eldrick is just being a twonk. Ignore him.

Comment

17.59m from Donati in the TJ final!! He was 17cm behind the board too :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
              17.59m from Donati in the TJ final!! He was 17cm behind the board too :shock:
              It was sublime! Imagine if he'd been a tad better on the board! :shock: I'm glad for him, though; hope the home team can secure at least one gold.

Comment

:shock:

That's a real shocker.

Comment

So much for the muscular problem he cited after the Q round yesterday :shock:

BTW it's DonatO

Comment

Originally posted by midnightsun
                    BTW it's DonatO
                    You say Donato, I say Donati :wink:

I must have been getting him confused with the sprinter.

Comment

yes Donati is the sprinter- actually 2 sprinters (brothers)

Anyway 17.59 is 0.01 off his outdoor PB from 2000 where he had a +1.7m/s wind

Comment

Just imagine if Idowu and Evora weren't injured and Tamgho was there - we would have had a great competition!
                        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                          Don't worry Lopen, I think most sane people can follow what you're saying now. Eldrick is just being a twonk. Ignore him.
                          Yeah, I've already explained him once before and he still doesn't get it...
                          http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=33114

As could be expected, Balta hammered my point from back then home pretty nicely today. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                            Originally posted by Jon

As could be expected, Balta hammered my point from back then home pretty nicely today. :wink:
                            what on earth has this got to do with american tj'ers ???

either of you 2 "bright sparks" find an american tj'er who's jumped 50cm+ indoors further than their outdoor pb ( & i mean 17m+ ) & you've got something worth considering, otherwise you are talking nonsense

Comment

Eldy, ever feel that you've completely missed the point.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                                Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                                Originally posted by Jon

what on earth has this got to do with american tj'ers ???

either of you 2 "bright sparks" find an american tj'er who's jumped 50cm+ indoors further than their outdoor pb ( & i mean 17m+ ) & you've got something worth considering, otherwise you are talking nonsense
                                By all means disagree (personally, I get what they're saying) but why is it you always have to be so rude when doing so? It serves only to get the backs up of those people that could otherwise be having some engaging discussions with you.

We're not meant to always agree - if we did it would be a boring forum - and I get that there appears to be some history between you and several posters, but some civility wouldn't go amiss every so often.

Rant over :wink:

Comment

Working...
                                X