Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mHJ - Thörnblad out in qualies!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mHJ - Thörnblad out in qualies!

    He only managed 2.17m qualification - not a great birthday for Linus!

    Ukhov and Spank had no failures, going through automatically at 2,30m.
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

  • #2
    Re: mHJ - Thornblad out in qualies!

    Originally posted by nevetsllim
    He only managed 2.17m qualification - not a great birthday for Linus!

    Ukhov and Spank had no failures, going through automatically at 2,30m.
    Further proof that the high jump is a very fickle woman! Ukhov is now the clear favorite I would think, unless his legs are dead. But, you never know.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is the third major competition when he has choked - 2007 WCh 15th in 2,15m, Olympic Games =26q in 2.20m and 2009 WICh 2.17m :?
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

      Comment


      • #4
        Topic is incredible, another final at 37yo...

        It's 18 years since he won the European and World Junior Championships!

        Comment


        • #5
          He looks to be in good shape too. He was clean thru 2.27m and decided to pass on 2.30m since he knew he had made it. There is a remote chance he can place in the medals. Can you imagine?
          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

          Comment


          • #6
            I saw some interesting Ukhov statistics on the Swedish site friidrott.se by L Lennart Julin
            .
            Ukhov has jumped 2.34 or higher in 13 competitions but never in months other than January/February.

            He has jumped 2.30 or higher 33 times but only 6 times after January or February.

            After today it's 7 times. Let's hope for at least 2.35 at this meet.

            Thornblad? Nothing wrong physically from what I understand. 2.17 for Baba as well, although he is not Baba of a few years ago.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thörnblad went out the backdoor without saying anything to anyone. 3 rd time this happens and it's gonna be tough for him to turn this around to Berlin.

              Baba crahsed into the bar-holders(what's the word!!?) in his first 2,22 effort and smacked his head pretty seriously. Don't know if affected his jumping after that.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Per Andersen
                I saw some interesting Ukhov statistics on the Swedish site friidrott.se by L Lennart Julin
                .
                Ukhov has jumped 2.34 or higher in 13 competitions but never in months other than January/February.

                He has jumped 2.30 or higher 33 times but only 6 times after January or February.

                After today it's 7 times. Let's hope for at least 2.35 at this meet.

                Thornblad? Nothing wrong physically from what I understand. 2.17 for Baba as well, although he is not Baba of a few years ago.
                Here's hoping coach Klyugin will have Ukhov ready.
                If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ukhov wins with 2.32m. No one else over 2.30m - bit disappointing. I wonder if Ukhov will attempt any higher heights.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jon
                    Ukhov wins with 2.32m. No one else over 2.30m - bit disappointing. I wonder if Ukhov will attempt any higher heights.
                    It looks like Ukhov did not attempt to go any higher.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Per Andersen
                      Originally posted by Jon
                      Ukhov wins with 2.32m. No one else over 2.30m - bit disappointing. I wonder if Ukhov will attempt any higher heights.
                      It looks like Ukhov did not attempt to go any higher.
                      A different perspective on Ukhov in today's Times. Scroll down to the third short piece:

                      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 860863.ece

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        IAAF quote:

                        “My only task this weekend was to win this competition,” said Ukhov “…I did everything to become the winner and to show I’m a good athlete and improve my name after Lausanne last year. Its true 2.32 is not that high for me but it was already high enough for the others.”
                        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ukhov is certainly a man to celebrate. I love watching that warm-up with the backwards somersault.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There was a bad level in the men high jump. Was it one of the worst high jump events in the Indoor European Championships :?:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Diego Sahagún
                              There was a bad level in the men high jump. Was it one of the worst high jump events in the Indoor European Championships :?:
                              Well Ukhov did his job but declined to go higher than 2.32. The Russians were missing Silnov, Rybakov and Tereshin.
                              Other than that there is basically only Thornblad who should be able to get over 2.32. His coach is somewhat concerned about him now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X