Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah Bowman on cover this month?

Why not? Who else are you going to put on the cover? Hooker is good, but in this economy, let's keep it American! JMO.

Re: Sarah Bowman on cover this month?

Originally posted by BillVol
    Why not? Who else are you going to put on the cover? Hooker is good, but in this economy, let's keep it American! JMO.
    I'm not a "Vol" but I'm a Chicago native who did live in Atlanta 1955 - 1958 & love the South. I became a Sarah Bowman fan because of her three strong anchors at PennR in 2008. I hope that she runs 4:30, 4:10 & 2:03 to anchor three wins in 2009.

HOWEVER, her mile PR at Tyson put her only 5th. Jenny Barringer's 4:25.91, 8:53.88 & 15:01.70 (despite the latter two being run on a 307m track) make her my candidate for the cover -- especially because her best event is the Steeple..

I think that 2010 will be the year for Sarah to excel at 3000 -- World Indoor, World Cup & WAF. Unless Price & Wright can take Sarah close to 2:00, she will need to move up in distance IMHO.
    none

Comment

Sarah Bowman on the Cover This Month

Kudos to T&FN staff for putting Rupp on the cover. I think that Barringer has a strong case. Unless Barringer runs sub - 8:30 tomorrow, Rupp was the best choice -- past & future.
      none

Comment

been a big bowman fan since her hs days at the penn relays...

if price can progress as well as she has, usa will have a solid 800 meter runner for years...

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
          After last night, they could have Hooker on the cover and still keep it American.

Comment

Since this year's publishing schedule is quirky and there's still 3 weeks before the issue is mailed (meaning it won't be viewable to the public until about the time when everybody is looking forwad to the Penn/Drake weekend (such are the problems with print publishing), it's unlikely that the cover will have an indoor subject.

Comment

you could put a RW'er on there and rename yourself Masters T&FN....

8-) 8-)

Comment

I can now confirm that the cover will have an outdoor subject. And that you're unlikely to guess who it is.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I can now confirm that the cover will have an outdoor subject. And that you're unlikely to guess who it is.

Not that it matters anymore, but Bowman (and Tennesee relay team compatriots) would fit in well with the outdoor/relay scenario. Barringer will probably again have a big moment at outdoor NCAA's.

Whatever, just PA-LEEZE don't have any more of those high school yearbook-type posed head shots. Action, baby!

[Like I'm not going to buy it regardless.]

Comment

How about the next issue?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      How about the next issue?
                      That would be a treat. I think that would make only the second current Vol athlete to appear on the cover (Jose "Tony" Parrilla the other). Several former Vols have been on the cover (Gatlin, Todd Williams, Bill Skinner).

Did a quick Google on Skinner and found the book by the great former sports editor of the Knoxville News-Sentinel, Marvin West. A fan of all Vol sports. At this link, scan back a few pages to the beginning of the "Track & Field" chapter. Some great reading. Much honor is given to Chuck Rohe, the true father of UT track and field.

http://books.google.com/books?id=A_a1u3 ... 4#PPA53,M1

Comment

[quote=Gleason]
                        Originally posted by "BillVol" I hope that she runs [b
                        4:30, 4:10 & 2:03[/b] to anchor three wins in 2009.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

(Disregarding the fact that she didn't anchor the 4x800).

Comment

[quote=BisonHurdler]
                          Originally posted by Gleason
                          Originally posted by "BillVol" I hope that she runs [b
                          4:30, 4:10 & 2:03[/b] to anchor three wins in 2009.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

(Disregarding the fact that she didn't anchor the 4x800).
                          Those were actually the words of Gleason, a fellow Volunteer in spirit at least.

Comment

Thanks guys.

All the best to Sarah Bowman at the nationals and after.

Kudos to J.J. Clark. Not only does he have a remarkable ability to have his runners peak at the big meets, but he knows how to prepare for next year. When Tennessee ran faster than the 2008 winning Penn R 4 x 800 time in a minor meet in early April this year, he probably decided to put Wright on the anchor because that is where she will probably run next year.

Re: Chuck Rohe. When I was T&FN statistician in 1965 - 1967, I was impressed with Rohe's national outlook. Local papers would praise him for local success, but he always reminded reporters that his goal was national success.
                            none

Comment

I have a question for BilVol and for anyone else who is familiar with SEC track:

My best friend was my college X/C & Track teammate in 1962 - 1963. We ran together after college & now that we are in our '60s we walk and talk about t&f.

He is a Silicon Valley native, so he asked me why the SEC has become so strong recently. I answered that despite love of football & basketball, t&f was popular & covered in the local press when I lived in the South in the 1950s. When segregation ended, African - Americans attended SEC universities & improved their programs.

Have I missed anything?
                              none

Comment

Working...
                              X