Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you nailed it, Gleason. Schools in the SEC are so competitive in everything, too. It's a big deal in the athletic departments here when they hire a new tennis coach. Location helps, also.

Comment

Re: Sarah Bowman on cover this month?

Originally posted by BillVol
      Why not? Who else are you going to put on the cover? Hooker is good, but in this economy, let's keep it American! JMO.
      apparently they took your advice as bowman is on the cover of the new issue.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
        Why not? Who else are you going to put on the cover? Hooker is good, but in this economy, let's keep it American! JMO.
        Well Hell, if that is all it takes I know a 4:24 mile guy from the 70's that I'd like to see on the cover . . .

Comment

I love the pic on page 26 - a very Vishnu kinda thng!

I also liked gh's rant on USA team uniforms - totally agree.
          Note to Dougie - please, please, pleeeeeeeez go back to the '64/'68 drawing board and update that look with some new styling, but keep the giant white USA emblazoned upon a bright blue singlet!

Comment

YES!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

[apparently they took your advice as bowman is on the cover of the new issue.
              YES!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Thank you. A very deserving athlete this season.

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen Bowman up close, or perhaps I just haven't looked closely, but I was surprised by the grim, determined look on her face, both in the cover photo and in the one on page 8. In my mind's eye she is smiling. I guess she doesn't do that when she has a baton in her hand.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                  Well Hell, if that is all it takes I know a 4:24 mile guy from the 70's that I'd like to see on the cover . . .
                  Was that guy a part of any WRs and owner of an NCAA championship meet record? Member of national champ team?

Let's just put you on the cover, hammy. Hah!

Comment

Sarah Bowman on cover this month?

Thanks to "BillVol" for answering my previous questions.

Why is Bowman entered in the SEC 800? Her teammates and the LSU 800 runners will be fresh while she will have about one hour rest after her 1500.

IF points are needed to clinch the meet, she could double in the 5000 and win it or place second to Areson. She could be 5th (three points) in the 800 unless the LSU 800 runners are injured.
                    none

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
                      Thanks to "BillVol" for answering my previous questions.

Why is Bowman entered in the SEC 800? Her teammates and the LSU 800 runners will be fresh while she will have about one hour rest after her 1500.

IF points are needed to clinch the meet, she could double in the 5000 and win it or place second to Areson. She could be 5th (three points) in the 800 unless the LSU 800 runners are injured.
                      Maybe it gives her preparation for facing multiple events in the NCAAs and rather than take the extensive effort of the 5000 (in the heat?), they are doing speed in an 800.

Comment

[quote="26mi235"
                        Maybe it gives her preparation for facing multiple events in the NCAAs and rather than take the extensive effort of the 5000 (in the heat?), they are doing spe an 800.[/quote]ed in

How can she do "multiple events in the NCAAs?" Break between 800 & 1500 is 50 minutes for finals and less between 800 semi & 1500 heat. She is already picked for second in 1500 final.

She has shown no cross-country endurance to do 5000 heat/1500 heat/5000 final/1500 final. NCAA will also be in hot weather. SEC 5000 is in the evening, NCAA 800 & 1500 are in the afternoon, so "in the heat" should not be relevant.
                        none

Comment

Sarah Bowman has made the 800 final. 1500 heats are on saturday. If she makes 1500 final she could run 1500 final/1:15 break/ 800 final1:15 break/5000final (If necessary)

This is a tough task in the heat and rain, but if anyone could win all three races, Ms. Bowman could IMHO
                          none

Comment

SEC did a press release on her making the cover.

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&u ... _well_id=2

Comment

Bowman had the fastest 800 time on friday and the fastest 1500 time on saturday, so she may triple because Tennessee is 35 points behind after the first two days.

Oregon is so far ahead that I don't expect Rupp to run the 5000.
                              none

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                                I don't think I've ever seen Bowman up close, or perhaps I just haven't looked closely, but I was surprised by the grim, determined look on her face, both in the cover photo and in the one on page 8. In my mind's eye she is smiling. I guess she doesn't do that when she has a baton in her hand.
                                I noticed a photo of Bowman and Nicole Blood on page 31 of the November 2004 T&FN while searching for something else.

Bowman was a junior and was first at 800 and fourth at the mile while Blood was a sophomore and was first at the mile and second at two miles.

Bowman had that "grim, determined look" mentioned above without the baton in her hand.

When Robin Ruble was a 4:08 miler at Stanford in the early 1960s, he told me that his coach, the late Payton Jordan, said "you're naked when you race." I saw a photo of the Tennessee at Texas A&M dual meet where coach J.J. Clark was smiling, but Bowman had her "game face" on then.

She is very "focused" to use the current word.
                                none

Comment

Working...
                                X