Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro indoors wHJ: Vlasic's 2-meter streak shockingly snaps

Two misses already at 1.96... Vlasic's 2-meter streak about to snap?

Snap!

Comment

She's a puzzle.

Comment

What was that last attempt? She looked like she didn't even want to try

Comment

Seriously - what was that about, Blanka?!
          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Rank Bib Athlete Nation Result
            1 1087 Friedrich, Ariane GER 2.01
            2 1034 Beitia, Ruth ESP 1.99 SB
            3 1196 Klyugina, Viktoriya RUS 1.96
            4 1206 Shkolina, Svetlana RUS 1.96
            5 1020 Vlasic, Blanka CRO 1.92
            5 1194 Gordeyeva, Irina RUS 1.92
            7 1028 Straková, Iva CZE 1.92
            8 1167 Stepaniuk, Kamila POL 1.92 =PB
            1093 Kröger, Meike GER DNS

Comment

That's a shockingly poor result for Vlasic.

I suspect the 2008 season will be in her head for some time yet. A fear of failure is probably the most insidious psychological condition a high jumper could have...

Comment

Brava to Friedrich! Undefeated this season (?), 2.05 PB, then comes thru in champs. Was jumping with a bad cold as well.

I have never seen as radical a looks "makeover" as hers before this indoor season. (Anybody wanna post before-after?) How much do you think her look contributes to her overall confidence?

As much as I have enjoyed Blanka's celebrations, Friedrich's are another kind of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Grazerism
                  I have never seen as radical a looks "makeover" as hers before this indoor season.
                  Ruth Beitia and Svetlana Feofanova had similarly radical transformations in 2006/2007. Beitia must have had some sort of plastic surgery to her nose and chin.

Comment

Blanka's comments:
                    - I am shocked, I can`t believe I didn`t jump 196 cm. My technique was really bad, I should have stepped harder. However, 196 cm should not have been a problem. I really don`t understand what happened, this is not my first competition. Clearly, European competitions are not my fate – Blanka commented her failure less calmly than her father did.
                    Comments of her coach & father Josko Vlasic:
                    - There are worse and better moments in the life of every athlete, because people are complex beings. Even Sergei Bubka used to perform at a competition and strike out, but he remained remembered and great nevertheless – coach Vlasic explained.

Even though he said that such things happen, he could not hide Blanka`s disappointment. They talked straight after that result and she was visibly shocked, but was not taken aback.

- This result did not make her falter, she must realise that this is something which happens, a blackout moment. She has a lot more to say, she has the best years ahead of her. Only one is without faults, us others are not – Josko Vlasic concluded cheerfully, just as he began the conversation.
                    http://www.javno.com/en-sports/josko...-moment_240927

Comment

Maybe she's competing too much and her legs and mind are getting tired of it. This is at least her 6th competition of the indoor season. She should have skipped the indoors or competed minimally after having such a busy 2008.

Comment

has friedrich got a brunette sister who used to jump a year or 2 ago ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                          Originally posted by Grazerism
                          I have never seen as radical a looks "makeover" as hers before this indoor season.
                          Ruth Beitia and Svetlana Feofanova had similarly radical transformations in 2006/2007. Beitia must have had some sort of plastic surgery to her nose and chin.
                          I did think that Beitia has been looking rather less gawky in recent times (no offence intended). Feo trowled a load of slap on to cover her freckles and had her hair styled and straightened.

Comment

I make it that she had 42 straight 2-meter meets in a row, dating back to July 6, 2007!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              I make it that she had 42 straight 2-meter meets in a row, dating back to July 6, 2007!
                              Yes, and excluding that mark, as that meeting was held in pouring rain and freezing conditions, hence only a 1.90m clearance, it was her worst performance since the 2007 European Indoors.
                              http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Working...
                              X