Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• louise tricard
    replied
    Re: The worst strides you have ever seen...

>Ron Delany

as tandfman said...............ron delaney, he's the winner!!! no contest......

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

'Sun the Chinese (3rd in Paris over 10k) looks
    ridiculous'

Is that the Chinese gal that runs with her arms straight? If so I agree. Completely inefficient. However, I do have to say I think we trashed her style on an earlier thread. But, it never hurts to keep pounding out the message that her form stinks.

Leave a comment:

• OG2004
    replied

Not so much stride but general running style - Sun the Chinese (3rd in Paris over 10k) looks ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• The King
    replied

Antonio Pettigrew...Marc Raquil
    When those guys start to come-back over the final 100m in the 400m, it's ugly!

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

Kuha-

Well if he has a 6-inch stride and has run as fast as he has his leg speed must be phenomenal.

Now to be more serious, its hard to say how good Gabe would be if he didn't have the unorthodox style. You don't really want to second guess something that works. And, as ugly as it might be it works much better than hundreds of thousands of others who look much prettier but are slower.

So, you have to look at the complete picture. The reason he runs like that is likely genetically influenced resulting from limb length, proportionate muscle distribution etc. And, where classically pretty runners are usually those who excel, unorthodox runners (Gabe, MJ) find a movement pattern that works best for them.

I would trade my classical though relatively slow style for Gabe's goofy but pretty darn fast style any day. But he can keep his goofy personality.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

"as long as you get there first..." Yes, but that's exactly the problem here, isn't it? I've always found Gabe's form painful to watch. And no, the thought that he has the best leg speed in the world has NEVER once occured to me.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

Kuha-

No problem with it - He probably has the most leg speed of anyone on the planet. That's why biking was so perfect for him he doesn't have to change much as long as the crank arms aren't too long.

It doesn't matter what you look like getting there as long as you get there first.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

What could you possibly mean? You have a problem with a 6-inch stride?

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

>Surprised nobody has mentioned the G word...

Gabe

Leave a comment:

• Greg in Toronto
    replied

Paul McCloy

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Re: Ngugi above...I'd call his stride "odd" more than "ugly." It was impossibly long, making it seem like he was loping along at half the speed of the guys "sprinting" behind in his wake. It was fun to see him up-close-and-personal at the '92 World X-C in Boston...odd but definitely unforgettable.

Leave a comment:

• abinferno
    replied

If any of you know who Chris Pinnock is, former Texas A&M hurdler from Jamaica, his stride when not in a hurdle race is just terrible to watch. He looks like he's hurting with every step, but put hurdles in front of him and he can fly.

Leave a comment:

• who-runnin'
    replied

Roger Black

Leave a comment:

• Kurt Francis
    replied

ALBERTO SALAZAR!!!

Leave a comment:

• JLightnin'
    replied

Donovan Bailey who's running form is almost identical to a sprinter named Floyd Ware who ran for Cleveland Glenville High School from 1972 to 1974. When I first saw Bailey run I thought to myself how much he reminded me of Ware.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X