Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    Should set Barringer up for a sub-9:00 steeple this summer!
    Horse, then the cart. She needs to be in 9:00 2-mile shape for that (8;25ish 3K)

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Horse, then the cart. She needs to be in 9:00 2-mile shape for that (8;25ish 3K)
      Isn't the (very) rough conversion to add 30 seconds to the flat PR? It's a fantastic time, non-rabbited so you've got to look at somewhere around 9:15 or under surely?

Comment

I don't know how fast she will run in 2009, but I know these facts:

1. Kipyego has finished her eligibility, so Barringer's only Big 12 competition should be from Koll in 10 & 5K.

2. Barringer is so far ahead of NCAA competition at Steeple that she could double at Steeple & 1500 in regionals & NCAA finals. Her mile is equal to a 4:05 1500 -- bettered by only Rowbury & Wurth - Thomas in 2008. Steeple is on Wednesday - Friday, 1500 is on Thursday - Saturday.

3. IF Barrringer wins Steeple/1500 she would have to defeat Bowman, Felnagle & Kuijken at 1500.

4. IF she does NCAA double she & Willard MIGHT do 1500/Steeple at USAT&F. Tenative schedule is 1500 on Thursday & Saturday with Steeple on Friday & Sunday. Rowbury is clearly the best, but Clement hasn't run well since 2007, Donahue hasn't made the WCh "A" standard since 2007, Wurth - Thomas is running poorly in 2009 & collegians have never made the 4:06 "A" standard.

5. WCh schedule is:

Steeple -- Saturday (heats) & Monday (final).
        1500 -- Tuesday (heats), Friday (semi - finals) Sunday ( final).

Barringer & Willard could go 1 - 2 in Steeple & 2 - 3 in 1500 to qualify for a WCh double.

6. Although a sub - 9:00 would be great, I'd like to see a WCh medal by either Steeplechaser. Because of Rupp's triple (especially DMR) I think that such a double is possible.
        none

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
          Isn't the (very) rough conversion to add 30 seconds to the flat PR? It's a fantastic time, non-rabbited so you've got to look at somewhere around 9:15 or under surely?
          this wasn't a wabbited time-trial, but a real race with large pace fluctuations

in a time-trial she must be capable of <<8'40i

my gut conversion to outdoors is 1s/400m, so that is going to get her ~ 8'30 outdoors

to that add your 30s ( for those with good technique ), so that is getting her ~ 9'00

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
            She is a great talent but when your running as fast as she is the difference between 9:15 and 9 flat is huge, really huge. It would be another big break thur which i would love to see.
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
              this wasn't a wabbited time-trial, but a real race with large pace fluctuations
              No, the race wasn't rabbited, but it also did not have large pace fluctuations other than her kick.

35.93-1:10.92
              35.32-1:46.24
              35.37-2:21.61
              35.37-2:56.98
              35.29-3:32.27
              35.14-4:07.41
              35.63-4:43.04
              35.51-5:18.55
              35.87-5:54.42
              34.85-6:29.27
              34.50-7:03.77
              34.72-7:38.49
              32.80-8:11.29
              30.74-8:42.03

Comment

1k splits of

2'56.98
                2'57.44
                2'47.61 !!!

are pretty damn uneven in my book !

jogging for 2k & then blasting a last 1k not far of ethiopian ability shows a huge slice of time was due off that in a properly wabbited, even pace race

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                  1k splits of

2'56.98
                  2'57.44
                  2'47.61 !!!

are pretty damn uneven in my book !

jogging for 2k & then blasting a last 1k not far of ethiopian ability shows a huge slice of time was due off that in a properly wabbited, even pace race
                  For once, you might have a point. When Meseret Defar set the world record last month, her splits were 2:47.7, 2:51.7 and 2:47.6. Although Barringer's pace didn't yo-yo, which the word "fluctuations" implies, she definitely went out slower than what would have been an optimal pace for her that day. If, as she claims, her primary goal was to put the CR on the shelf for as long as possible, she would appear to have fallen short by 5-10 seconds.

Comment

Botched Barringer Race Call

The announcer should have been shot for botching a beautiful race. What an abomination. To start off, he must have had the wrong race in hand. Early on - he broke from the race to announce awards from another event, a practice I find disrespectful to the competition. When he returned to the race, he still had the wrong sheets. Then ... about 3 laps of dead silence!!! When he finally started to recover, he mistook the chase pack for the leaders. Finally with TWO laps to go, he gets it right.

What a shame. Barringer destroyed a good record and didn't get any "love" from the announcer for 80% of the race.

In the end - no apologies or anything!!! He sounded like the guy who called the races in the Trials. A know-it-all who knew nothing about the race on the track!

Comment

Re: Botched Barringer Race Call

Originally posted by mntypthn
                      The announcer should have been shot for botching a beautiful race. What an abomination. To start off, he must have had the wrong race in hand. Early on - he broke from the race to announce awards from another event, a practice I find disrespectful to the competition. When he returned to the race, he still had the wrong sheets. Then ... about 3 laps of dead silence!!! When he finally started to recover, he mistook the chase pack for the leaders. Finally with TWO laps to go, he gets it right.

What a shame. Barringer destroyed a good record and didn't get any "love" from the announcer for 80% of the race.

In the end - no apologies or anything!!! He sounded like the guy who called the races in the Trials. A know-it-all who knew nothing about the race on the track!
                      Amen! Anybody with a knowledge of the sport would have known that there's no way that Barringer could not be in a true lead pack.

Comment

In the women's 5000, he or the other announcer (there were two of them) mis-identified the leader for quite a few laps. The first half of the race was led by Andrea Walkonen of BU, but the announcer thought she was Wendi Robinson of Indiana.

Comment

note that Barringer's mark also took down a very old record; American CR, set by PattiSue Plumer way back in '83. (Now a lawyer with a couple of kids who lives in the same small town as me)

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo
                            It was a stunning thing to watch. She lapped everyone (except Kuijken I believe)...

And yes, the announcer missed the boat on this one, could've really played up what an amazing effort it was, but instead kept mentioning whoever was in 3rd.

Sigh...
                            Well, I will take partial responsibility for this screwup. The fact is, after 2 1/2 hours of pretty much non-stop announcing, I was literally ready to pee my pants so I left the 3k for my co-announcer. So, my point is that I was not around to help spot the race for him. By the time I got back in the booth, there were just 2 laps to go. I basically tossed him to the dogs with this one but it either that or levae with wet pants on a very cold night, which I really did not want to do.
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by SDavis
                              I basically tossed him to the dogs with this one but it either that or levae with wet pants on a very cold night, which I really did not want to do.
                              Scott
                              Good God man, you left your post? Does Nike make adult diapers? :P
                              phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SDavis
                                Originally posted by BCBaroo
                                It was a stunning thing to watch. She lapped everyone (except Kuijken I believe)...

And yes, the announcer missed the boat on this one, could've really played up what an amazing effort it was, but instead kept mentioning whoever was in 3rd.

Sigh...
                                Well, I will take partial responsibility for this screwup. The fact is, after 2 1/2 hours of pretty much non-stop announcing, I was literally ready to pee my pants so I left the 3k for my co-announcer. So, my point is that I was not around to help spot the race for him. By the time I got back in the booth, there were just 2 laps to go. I basically tossed him to the dogs with this one but it either that or levae with wet pants on a very cold night, which I really did not want to do.
                                Scott
                                On behalf of the crowd. Apology accepted.

8-)

Comment

Working...
                                X