Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulthefan
    has the level of competition in the NCAA HJ regressed over the past 15 years?
    I don't think so. The winning heights in the four years prior to 2009 (2005-2008) were 7-5, 7-6, 7-7 3/4, and 7-7. There was a stretch from 1996-2002 when the marks were 7-5, 7-6, 7-6, 7-7, 7-5, 7-5. This is one of those off-years, but I wouldn't necessarily infer a negative trend from it.

Comment

there's also the philosophical question of whether or not when you say "level of competition" do you mean the winning mark--which is of course a very poor indicator--or a great head-to-head battle for the title. I, for one would be much more pleased to watch a half-dozen guys battling at 7-3 for the title than somebody going solo at 7-8.

Comment

I wouldn't argue with you about that. But I didn't think that's what paulthefan meant and, in any event, sitting here in College Station, it would have been impossible for me to research the competitiveness of NCAA high jumps going back 15 years or more.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          there's also the philosophical question of whether or not when you say "level of competition" do you mean the winning mark--which is of course a very poor indicator--or a great head-to-head battle for the title. I, for one would be much more pleased to watch a half-dozen guys battling at 7-3 for the title than somebody going solo at 7-8.
          for a full dozen I would agree.
          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Depth is nice, but tell me the last time someone has even attempted to break Conway's collegiate record. To me, that would be nice see. The collegiate high jump is just as paralyzed as the world class jumps. Last year Jonas was the closest anyone has been in what feels like eons.
            If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
              Originally posted by gh
              for a full dozen I would agree.
              ??!! And yet the 7-8 guy would grab the headline. The Marks Snob says no amount of 7'3 guys, or even 7'5 guys make up for one 7'7 guy. 2.30 is my baseline to pay attention. If you want competition, go watch 12 guys scramble at 6' at your local HS meet.

Random note - we had a big (25-team) invitational last Friday and the guy who ran the HJ had no idea what a Jump-off was, so 3 guys tied for first. Worked for me cuz one of them was my guy who had no business winning the thing.

Comment

Working...
              X