X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob H
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    What happened last year, for example? (he said, hoping somebody else will jump in and do the research :-) )
    Last year, there were 11 teams in the men's DMR. The only one that got their qualifier the week before at Notre Dame was Notre Dame.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    rpokam's website is also down. So trying to compare to previous years is non-trivial.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    I'd expect that for some of the teams but for 18 of the 19 ND qualified teams to not only not improve but many dropped off in a huge way seems unlikely. And if the oval size is making an impact (which I too think it might be) then the large oval qualification standard needs to be tougher.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    As a coach I see it all the time. Sometimes you have a team or individual whose goal is just to get to a championship meet - either by head to head or qualifying time. Once they acheive it the actual performance at the championship is underwhelming, especially if it's the following week. I think that was the case with a number of those DMR teams. Combine that with the difference in track sizes and you have a predictable dropoff, both mentally and physically, for the borderline qualifiers.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    I did the same for the women's DMR where 2 teams qualified at ND last week and 2 in early February. I can't point to a specific issue (if anyone had splits from ND races that might help) but something seems funny.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    What happened last year, for example? (he said, hoping somebody else will jump in and do the research :-) )

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied
    I like bhall's statistical analysis, and I definitely think there's something to it, but just to point it out, keep in mind that traveling to South Bend the week after a tough conference meet (for most teams) and a few days before traveling to College Station is not necessarily the best way to prepare for the NCAA DMR. I think it's safe to say that, apart from any problems with the Notre Dame track, a lot of athletes/teams left their best performance on the track last week in Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by RQ
    1200m
    Jacob Hernandez 2:54.05
    Duncan Phillips 2:55.57
    Jacob Gustaffson 2:55.78

400m
    Tevas Everett 46.93
    Chad Barlow 47.14
    Kevin Beisinger 47.18

800m
    Andrew Wheating 1:48.84
    Sebastian Sam 1:48.87
    Alex Mcclary 1:49.24

1600m
    Galen Rupp 3:57.08
    Michael Coe 3:57.66
    Dorian Ulrey 3:58.05
    As noted earlier, many splits are 0.01 long. Rupp was 3:57.07, Ulrey 3:58.04, for example. (all will be printed correctly in eTrack Newsletter)

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    "Just give me the baton."
    According to the Register-Guard, those were the words that Rupp interjected into a meeting of the coaching staff when they were trying to decide the lineup for the DMR.
    http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

If he does what he's supposed to do in the 3000, his performance will be reminiscent of X-Man's performance at the 2006 Outdoor Championships. Truly, a man amongst boys.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    So all 15 teams that qualified at Notre Dame ran slower this week? Does sort of make you question the validity of those times.
    Not really. Much smaller track this week.
    The ND race was ONLY about the time at the end. This race had NOTHING to do with Time and ONLY to do with Place. Hard to draw much inference from the times, per se.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    So all 15 teams that qualified at Notre Dame ran slower this week? Does sort of make you question the validity of those times.
    Not really. Much smaller track this week.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by RQ
    1200m
    Jacob Hernandez 2:54.05
    Duncan Phillips 2:55.57
    Jacob Gustaffson 2:55.78

400m
    Tevas Everett 46.93
    Chad Barlow 47.14
    Kevin Beisinger 47.18

800m
    Andrew Wheating 1:48.84
    Sebastian Sam 1:48.87
    Alex Mcclary 1:49.24

1600m
    Galen Rupp 3:57.08
    Michael Coe 3:57.66
    Dorian Ulrey 3:58.05
    Just pointing out that Texas (Hernandez and Everett) ran in the 1st heat.

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied
    Throw out the top and bottom 3 teams and you get an average qualification vs. NCAA Champs difference of roughly 6.5 seconds. All the schools in the middle 12 qualified at Notre Dame last week. Interesting at the least.

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied
    Meb Keflizega did the 5k,dmr double for UCLA (not as successfully).
    Thanks.

So all 15 teams that qualified at Notre Dame ran slower this week? Does sort of make you question the validity of those times. And what a shame that it knocked out about 25 athletes from individual events.
    I wouldn't be willing to start guessing on this without seeing similar comparisons from previous years.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Meb Keflizega did the 5k,dmr double for UCLA (not as successfully).
    So all 15 teams that qualified at Notre Dame ran slower this week? Does sort of make you question the validity of those times. And what a shame that it knocked out about 25 athletes from individual events.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X