Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zat0pek
    It just occurred to me this morning that Rupp is undefeated this year in NCAA championships, both individually and team. Won both individual and team in cross and now won three races individually and the team title indoors.

Question: Has anybody ever made it a sweep of all three seasons, individually and team? If Oregon were to win outdoors and Rupp wins his individual race(s), that would do it. That would have to be a first, wouldn't it?
    Nobody has done it. Suleiman Nyambui came closest in 1980-81. UTEP pulled the triple team win, and Nyambui won CC, the indoor Mile and outdoor 5/10. But he lost the indoor 2M to Doug Padilla.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
      Originally posted by Zat0pek
      It just occurred to me this morning that Rupp is undefeated this year in NCAA championships, both individually and team. Won both individual and team in cross and now won three races individually and the team title indoors.

Question: Has anybody ever made it a sweep of all three seasons, individually and team? If Oregon were to win outdoors and Rupp wins his individual race(s), that would do it. That would have to be a first, wouldn't it?
      Nobody has done it. Suleiman Nyambui came closest in 1980-81. UTEP pulled the triple team win, and Nyambui won CC, the indoor Mile and outdoor 5/10. But he lost the indoor 2M to Doug Padilla.
      I'm surprised that none of the Arkansas distance runners have done it. Of course, there have been a couple of LSU women sprinters and, I'm guessing, a few Arkansas jumpers who've pulled off the indoor and outdoor sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
        Originally posted by gh
        athletes on college scholarships don't have greater pictures than the NCAA meet. Nor should they.
        Rupp did in 2008. Redshirted for the sake of an Olympic dream.
        Apples & oranges. If you're not on the team then you can do whatever you want.

And the school benefits by having a year-older athlete (assuming not turning pro) every time somebody redshirts.

Comment

Whole apples and half-eaten ones, actually.

Using Rupp as an example of not winning the 2008 team title is as useful(less) as his having run three events at NCAA indoors in my opinion, as he is injury-prone. Was the title already secure prior to the DM? Would anyone else in the 4.01-4.03 split range have secured enough points for Oregon to win, nevertheless?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Originally posted by gh
            athletes on college scholarships don't have greater pictures than the NCAA meet. Nor should they.
            Rupp did in 2008. Redshirted for the sake of an Olympic dream.
            Apples & oranges. If you're not on the team then you can do whatever you want.

And the school benefits by having a year-older athlete (assuming not turning pro) every time somebody redshirts.
            Amen!

Comment

So, *** should really read ***(+1); **, **(+1), osv.

Comment

How would this race had played out with Fernandez in it? That question has not yet been raised as far as I can tell. Had Fernandez concentrated on 3.000m only, would the swift early pace Rupp put up been to Fernandez advantage? Winning time for (Rupp or Fernandez)?

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                  Has it been done at any other level (NAIA, DII, DIII, etc.)?

Comment

How would this race had played out with Fernandez in it? That question has not yet been raised as far as I can tell. Had Fernandez concentrated on 3.000m only, would the swift early pace Rupp put up been to Fernandez advantage? Winning time for (Rupp or Fernandez)?
                    That would have been a great race. I am looking forward to watching these two go at it outdoors. I think Rupp has the advantage, but Fernandez is closing the gap pretty quickly.

Comment

Whole apples and half-eaten ones, actually.

Using Rupp as an example of not winning the 2008 team title is as useful(less) as his having run three events at NCAA indoors in my opinion, as he is injury-prone. Was the title already secure prior to the DM? Would anyone else in the 4.01-4.03 split range have secured enough points for Oregon to win, nevertheless?
                      As a matter of fact, the title was far from secure when Rupp ran the DMR since it took place on day 1. If the DMR had been the final event on day 2, you might have a point.

Comment

Is Rupp really "injury prone?" I recall he had a routine knee surgery between seasons awhile back, but I don't recall his ever missing a major meet with injury.

I'm guessing that because he performs in the fishbowl that's Eugene--and has the voluble Salazar as a coach--that every time he sniffles we hear about it and that may have created an image of a fragile creature that doesn't necessarily exist.

Comment

Refering to his hypothyroidism , classified as an injury. "Injury" goes back to high school, when Rupp finished third at Footlocker ("I haven't gotten sick a lot, which has been a problem for me in the past.").

Question remains: Do you run a guy wild at an NCAA indoor championship - a guy who is a strength runner, but who has had "injury" issues in the past? Rupp supposedly wanted to run more if he could.

Comment

Foot Locker was 4½ years ago.

Comment

Refering to his hypothyroidism , classified as an injury. "Injury" goes back to high school, when Rupp finished third at Footlocker ("I haven't gotten sick a lot, which has been a problem for me in the past.").

Question remains: Do you run a guy wild at an NCAA indoor championship - a guy who is a strength runner, but who has had "injury" issues in the past? Rupp supposedly wanted to run more if he could.
                              No, I don't think a coach should run an elite athlete into the ground, but that coach also shouldn't forget who pays his/her salary and why they're paying him/her. If the DMR was the last event of the NCAA outdoors instead of the 4x400 in June, and Oregon needed a win (10 points) in order to win the team title, would you sit a guy like Rupp if he was already tired from a 5/10 double, but he was still better than the alternative? The point I'm making is that the final day of the NCAA team championship is like the seventh game of the World Series, when managers are willing to use the entire pitching staff, including players who have pitched a complete game the night before. Furthermore, its not like the coach has to do any conjoling of the athlete in those situations; to the contrary, it's always the athlete demanding that he/she be allowed to run that extra race. As Rupp said last Friday night, "Just Give Me the Baton".

Comment

This story on Richard Thompson's decision to run eight races only five days before the Trinidad Olympics Trials is a pretty good indicator of the importance of a team title to a typical NCAA athlete.
                                He only occasionally ran the 200 since coming to LSU, but added it to his repertoire in mid-April when Shaver brought it up. The only problem, Shaver said, was the Trinidad Olympic Trials start just six days after the NCAAs end.

“I was a bit skeptical about doing the 200 at the (NCAA), but only because of the Trials,” said Thompson, who leads the nation with a 9.93 in the 100 and ranks second in the 200 with a personal-best of 20.18. “But then, I thought this would be a real positive thing for the team.

“I wanted to do it because I’m definitely a team man. I wanted to do it for all coach Shaver and the program has done for me. I owe it to the program. I’m physically capable of doing both, so I’m ready to win the title.”

Shaver said the decision was strictly Thompson’s after he noted the Tigers had a shot at the title. After laying the NCAA schedule out, Shaver said it didn’t take long before he received a text message from his star sprinter.

“The message said, ‘Let’s go for the team title,’ ” Shaver said.

Comment

Working...
                                X