X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    Foot Locker was 4½ years ago.
    Hypothyroidism wasn't, however.

Certain folks loathe indoors, citing the real season begins under the blue skies. Glad Rupp the Duck did his thing in a (very) early-season tune-up for NCAA outdoors, USATF and/or IAAF.

Comment

I'm still not seeing anything that remotely approaches injury prone.

Comment

I agree with Gary. Ever since his senior year in high school, he has been remarkably sturdy.

He may have missed competitions here and there to procatively deal with aches and pains before they became injuries, but I don't recall any serious injury problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          I'm still not seeing anything that remotely approaches injury prone.
          Injury-prone is scaled back. I learned more of his one-time stress fracture (and its cause, which has been corrected):

"At times, Salazar has pushed too far. Last fall he embraced a new Nike shoe, the light and extremely flexible Free, which is designed to hone the sinew we use walking barefoot. Promotional material for the Free advises: "As for training, keep a low intensity and volume. Progression is key." But Salazar had Rupp running as much as three miles a day barefoot and in the Free--and the combination, Rupp says, led to a stress fracture. "Alberto realized that we probably went overboard on the barefoot stuff. He's able to learn from his mistakes, though. We cut back." (Later, Salazar told me, "You make mistakes. That was one that I made.")

Comment

Epelle-

Was the stress fracture last fall? I think the Nike Free has been out for a few years now. Regardless of when it was, as you mentioned, it wasn't the result of being injury prone as much as the result of inappropriate training (which Salazar acknowledges).

Comment

Working...
            X