HSR Fireworks To Kick Off NIN/NSIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSR Fireworks To Kick Off NIN/NSIC

Noted graybeard Solomon Haile breaks 5K HSR in New York with a 14:22.88, which is subsequently erased in short order by Illinois frosh(!!!) Lukas Verzbicas at NIN with his 14:18.42.

In the field Conor McCullough obliterates his own HSR in the weight throw with a 92' 7 1/2" in Boston.

What a start to high school's championship weekend.

NIN - http://www.dyestat.com//?pg=us-2009-Indoor-Track-NIN

NSIC - http://www.dyestat.com//?pg=us-2009-Indoor-Track-NSIC
    There are no strings on me

Verzbicas is a definite WOW. The old HS record, prior to this weekend, was 14:29.28 by Brad Hudson from South Eugene High on 12-30-84. The previous HS frosh record was Doug Smith's 15:51.71 in 2006.

With that kind of freakish improvement, an investigation is in order . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      Verzbicas is a definite WOW. The old HS record, prior to this weekend, was 14:29.28 by Brad Hudson from South Eugene High on 12-30-84. The previous HS frosh record was Doug Smith's 15:51.71 in 2006.

Verz is 16. Haile's age is anyone's guess.

Comment

Gotta be the sprung floor....

An astonishing performance. I took particular pleasure in the results, since I personally know one of the kids in this record race...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
          Running downhill with a hurricane wind pushing him while he was consuming mass quantities of PEDs (HS freshman: a gallon of Jolt Cola) and with officials who have no idea how to manage a stopwatch . . .

Comment

Running downhill with a hurricane wind pushing him while he was consuming mass quantities of PEDs (HS freshman: a gallon of Jolt Cola) and with officials who have no idea how to manage a stopwatch . . .
            My nephew was 6th in that 14:18 race and my brother was there timing and filming it.

Comment

He definitely did not get a flyer.

Comment

Re: HSR Fireworks To Kick Off NIN/NSIC

Originally posted by guru
                Noted graybeard Solomon Haile breaks 5K HSR in New York with a 14:22.88, which is subsequently erased in short order by Illinois frosh(!!!) Lukas Verzbicas at NIN with his 14:18.42.
                Did they have 3 guys with watches at the 3-mile mark? Does anyone have their 4,800m (24th-lap) splits? Lindgren's 13:40.0 for 3 miles has been in the books for as long as his 2-mile indoor record.

Comment

Verzbicas 13:46 at 4800m(Haile 13:51).

Comment

Interesting - Verzbicas is a triathlete running indoors for training. Doesn't have plans to run track outdoors.

http://www.dyestatil.com//?pg=dyestatil ... 09-weekend

Comment

Interesting - Verzbicas is a triathlete running indoors for training. Doesn't have plans to run track outdoors.

http://www.dyestatil.com//?pg=dyestatil ... 09-weekend
                      WTF!!!!

Comment

WTF!!!!

The kid's incredible running talent notwithstanding, he almost certainly will have a better chance at Olympic gold in Triathlon than distance running. His plan to not run outdoor track until his junior year may change, but the long term plan certainly looks sound.

Comment

The article also says:

" Verzbicas will sit out the high school track season again in 2010, but is planning on running Track his Junior and Senior years to get ready for College competitions."

If he is already planning on focusing on track as a junior/senior in HS and planning to run in college, I think that is his future. When I look at his physique I see "runner" not "triathlete". He is much more Mottram than Armstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by player
                            The article also says:

" Verzbicas will sit out the high school track season again in 2010, but is planning on running Track his Junior and Senior years to get ready for College competitions."

If he is already planning on focusing on track as a junior/senior in HS and planning to run in college, I think that is his future. When I look at his physique I see "runner" not "triathlete". He is much more Mottram than Armstrong.
                            OK, there is a God in heaven. Just watched video of the entire race. This kid is amazing--and, yes, he sure looks to have the perfect build for a runner. I don't give a hoot about the triathlon--any triathlon--but perhaps this early cross-training will put him in great overall shape for a longer career as a runner.

Comment

Just watched video of the entire race.
                              Link?

Comment

Working...
                              X