Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSA revival?

Looking at the weekend's Sth African national champs results, there does appear to be a lot of strength in their current stock of athletes:

5th in 800m final runs 1.46.94 (and winner 1.44.81)
    2 men inside 3.37 over 1500m
    8.16.04 steepler

11.36/51.15 from a woman who is reportedly 4'11"

Couple that with an 18yo who has ran a 2:00.58 this year (and the usual M400mH depth) and there may be a few more RSA singlets cricling the track in Berlin and beyond than we have seen in recent years.

This is a very underdiscussed country on this forum. No locals on here?

Re: RSA revival?

Originally posted by AS
    This is a very underdiscussed country on this forum. No locals on here?
    doing even more backpacking ( but never siberia ??? ) or bar jobs in london pubs than can be profligately imagined ?!

Comment

I remember at the time that South Africa was welcomed back into the international fold there was talk of the return of a potential sleeping giant (though not as much potential as Brazil). And there was a burst of success in the early to mid 90s. Still, I think more was expected for some reason. However it was Ethiopia that challenged Kenya rather than the RSA.

It would be good to have more athletes from RSA. I still cherish hopes that one day Africa (and Latin America for that matter) will at least hold a World champs or an Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
        I remember at the time that South Africa was welcomed back into the international fold there was talk of the return of a potential sleeping giant (though not as much potential as Brazil). And there was a burst of success in the early to mid 90s. Still, I think more was expected for some reason. However it was Ethiopia that challenged Kenya rather than the RSA.

It would be good to have more athletes from RSA. I still cherish hopes that one day Africa (and Latin America for that matter) will at least hold a World champs or an Olympics.
        I like Rio in 2016. I had mentioned in late 2007 on another thread that I feared heat there & was admonished that heat isn't severe. I checked temps in July - Aug. 2008 & it wasn't bad.
        none

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
          I like Rio in 2016. I had mentioned in late 2007 on another thread that I feared heat there & was admonished that heat isn't severe. I checked temps in July - Aug. 2008 & it wasn't bad.
          Doh! July and August is the middle of the winter over there.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

it's still pretty warm though - often warmer than a European summer.

Comment

Saffas are not utilizing the potential that exists in the townships and in rural areas. Those who have succeeded in SA are mainly those who were able to attend private high schools that actually have equipment and good coaches.

Unfortunately the rest of the country plays only soccer. Whereas private schools have athletics, cricket, rugby, tennis etc and good facilities.

Still I dont think SA is a sleeping giant. Zimbabwe has more potential for sprinters and middle distance runners. Naija is the drunk giant who when he goes through alcoholics anonymous and gets his act together will be a real force. And to a lesser extent Ghana, Senegal, & Zim who despite their political chaos have produced good runners like Bernard Dzingai, Talkmore Nyongani and Lewis Banda and the emerging Mvumvure. The first one almost won a medal in the 200m at Beijing.

Comment

Re: RSA revival?

Originally posted by AS
                Looking at the weekend's Sth African national champs results, there does appear to be a lot of strength in their current stock of athletes
                Not all of the locals were impressed:

http://www.weekendpost.co.za/sport/arti ... ?id=399171

Comment

The times are decent
                  10.21 for the men..11.36 for the womens 100m
                  The times for the 400m and 400mH are also decent

The trouble with journalists is that they use the worlds best (in this case Jamaica) as the standard of comparison. Which is bogus because no country can compete with Jamaica right now. 10.21 would win you the national trials in most countries including so called T&F powerhouses.

Rather the journalist should be highlighting the fact that the times are better than those being run in Nigeria right now

Comment

Originally posted by vencio2
                    it's still pretty warm though - often warmer than a European summer.
                    I agree.
                    none

Comment

d'oh - deleted

Comment

Working...
                      X