Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marion's Million?

Let's see. The Euro Circuit will let Marion back in for a cool million (which she doesn't have). Why? Is that a fee, and if so, what does it offset? Or is it penance? Because they have the moral authority to extract from people wages for their sins?

As I see it, this is business. Marion ran for a period of time under the guise of being stimulant free when she wasn't. She commanded and was paid sums of money by promoters for running. Now they want it repaid. Fine. Where did the promoters get the money to pay her? From the fans that filled the stadium seats (and partially from other sponsors, I presume). It's the fan's money that Marion was paid. So, of course the promoters are going to turn around and give the million back to the people, the ones that were truly "wronged" by Marion's prevarication, the one's that came to see a clean 10.66, but didn't. Oh, wait. They don't get anything back? The middle man does, but the end user doesn't? Maybe Weltklasse will have half-priced tickets in 2009-2011 if Marion coughs up the $$$, just for the fans. Yeah. Right.

This is self-righteous posturing and false indignation. Yes, Marion was wrong ten ways from Sunday, but meet promoters have no authority, at least morally, to require monetary "restitution" when they were never harmed. They made their money and pocketed it gladly. They haven't refunded anyone a penny. They should get bupkis.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 66,00.html
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Re: Marion's Million?

Originally posted by pickle47
      ....Yes, Marion was wrong ten ways from Sunday, but meet promoters have no authority, at least morally, to require monetary "restitution" when they were never harmed. They made their money and pocketed it gladly. They haven't refunded anyone a penny. They should get bupkis.
      Meet promoters aren't asking for anything. It's the IAAF that says she has to pay back all her prize money won under their aegis before they'll reinstate her.

I'm guessing, by the way, that the "million dollars" is a nice round figure just pulled out of the ether to reflect the hardest-stance possible that the IAAF will take.

Comment

Actually DN Galan and Bislett are asking for monies paid out to be paid back.

Comment

But, far as I know, all they can do is ban her from their meet; they can't affect her eligibility.

Comment

Re: Marion's Million?

Originally posted by pickle47
            This is self-righteous posturing and false indignation. Yes, Marion was wrong ten ways from Sunday, but meet promoters have no authority, at least morally, to require monetary "restitution" when they were never harmed.
            Well, one could say the promoters were harmed to some extent, because the way she tarnished the sport has reduced their revenues. Although that probably was less harm than the profit they made from her before her drug taking was exposed.

She should be made to pay some money back, but it should go to the IAAF and the athletes.

Comment

How much was I wronged by the behaviour of Jones etc. Any realist might well have suspected that she was cheating, as far back as 2000, but not allowed to say so, of course.

When I saw MJ at GP occasions I never went just to see her, as there were plenty of other athletes competing. I never felt wronged at all ,just vastly disappointed and disgusted with the lies when they were ultimately confirmed.

The audience watching her when I saw her applauded with great enthusiasm. Were they wronged. Debatable. Did they think she may be a cheat.? Who knows.

The only souls who were really wronged, if that's the appropriate word , were MJ's fellow athletes , many of whom depended to some extent or other on the paid events. They were cheated.!

A track fan once said to me if you feel cheated easily in our sport, especially when watching the throwing events , its best not to turn up and watch.

I reckon its utterly amoral to even have her on a running track .

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                But, far as I know, all they can do is ban her from their meet; they can't affect her eligibility.
                Absolutely correct. My response was to your statement of meet promoters not asking for anything, which is contrary to what has been maintained by the aforementioned.

Comment

Originally posted by scoe
                  How much was I wronged by the behaviour of Jones etc. Any realist might well have suspected that she was cheating, as far back as 2000, but not allowed to say so, of course.
                  Why specifically 2000? She had the best season of her career in 1998.
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                    she's only admitted cheating since 2000 so obviously he was clean previously when she ran her fastest times :roll:
                    i deserve extra credit

Comment

When I reflect on the likelihood that she alone was guilty, I shake my head ruefully at the hypocrisy shown by virtually ALL parties in this sort of vindictiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        When I reflect on the likelihood that she alone was guilty, I shake my head ruefully at the hypocrisy shown by virtually ALL parties in this sort of vindictiveness.
                        the only hypocrit i see is MJ and a bit more vindictiveness towards all involved would be welcome to me
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                          the only hypocrit i see is MJ and a bit more vindictiveness towards all involved would be welcome to me
                          All involved = any athlete who took PEDs in the last 20 years. Marion was the only one?

Comment

I can't say as I ever felt personally cheated regarding Jones, indeed I consider it an honour to have seen her run, both in person and on the TV, but then I expect my perspective is much in the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                              Originally posted by Powell
                              she's only admitted cheating since 2000 so obviously he was clean previously when she ran her fastest times :roll:
                              she musta had close to ?50 -ve drug tests between '97 - '00 as worlds leading female athlete & this was prior to production & availability of undetectable THG

care to suggest what she was on ?

Comment

Working...
                              X