Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA and espn360.com coverage-NOT!

I know it's a bit late to bring this up, but I'm still steamed about espn360.com internet non-coverage for many of us for the NCAA Indoor. Are we going to let the NCAA and espn360.com get away with this? :evil:

One is required to change internet providers to get the coverage! What a crock!
    I have Comcast in Eugene and I doubt if very few here were able to watch the Indoor from this track crazy town, because most people other than the edu connections from the UO have comcast. I don't think Charter covered it either.

Fortunately there were TFN progressive updates, I was refreshing the page reading the ongoing results like it was teletype. Later Flotrack started to do a live blog. thank goodness. But the promised espn360.com live streaming? :evil:

I notice there was an opinion piece about this topic on runnerstribe.com. Scroll aways down the page to find it.

http://www.runnerstribe.com/unprecedentedweekend.php

Re: NCAA and espn360.com coverage-NOT!

Originally posted by jkjoregon
    I know it's a bit late to bring this up, but I'm still steamed about espn360.com internet non-coverage for many of us for the NCAA Indoor. Are we going to let the NCAA and espn360.com get away with this? :evil:

One is required to change internet providers to get the coverage! What a crock!
    I have Comcast in Eugene and I doubt if very few here were able to watch the Indoor from this track crazy town, because most people other than the edu connections from the UO have comcast. I don't think Charter covered it either.

Fortunately there were TFN progressive updates, I was refreshing the page reading the ongoing results like it was teletype. Later Flotrack started to do a live blog. thank goodness. But the promised espn360.com live streaming? :evil:

I notice there was an opinion piece about this topic on runnerstribe.com. Scroll aways down the page to find it.

http://www.runnerstribe.com/unprecedentedweekend.php
    Perhaps you should direct your fire at Comcast instead of ESPN. Certainly there is an ISP in Eugene that's not too cheap to pay the fees for this service.

Comment

Most people don't have a choice in ISPs if they want high speed internet.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
        Most people don't have a choice in ISPs if they want high speed internet.
        Certainly true here.

runnerstribe.com gets to the heart of the concern........

"ESPN has decided that advertising revenue alone isn't sufficient for Internet programming, and that they want to be paid by consumers directly. Since they can't charge us directly--well, they could, but then they'd look like the bad guy, and they'd rather make someone else look bad--they've decided to charge the Internet Service Providers as much as $3/household to carry their online video service, ESPN360. YOU KNOW, IMPOSE THE CABLE TV FEE STRUCTURE ON THE INTERNET. Some ISPs have gone along and paid, and their users can watch streaming live video of various sports on ESPN. Others, like my provider, haven't. What's my recourse, as a > consumer, you ask? According to ESPN, I should switch my provider. Any option for me to just pay them five bucks to watch the meet? Um, no. Thanks ESPN."

Comment

So y'all saying ESPN owes us this kind of coverage for free?

Comment

There are no good guys or badguys here, nor does this have anything to do with your ISP. This is a simple matter of licensing. Apparently, ESPN made an agreement to provide the broadcast to educational organizations. I don't know who paid the fees or whether this falls into the category of "public service".

Either way, anybody logging in from a computer in any .edu domain got access while those logging in from elsewhere were excluded. Had you logged-in from a computer at your local school, you'da been golden. It's a simple matter to identify the domain from which a computer is accessing a web site. The web master of this site knows the domain to which your computer belongs.

I suspect that ESPN360 makes other agreements for other events, but I don't know. What I do know is that this one was limited to the .edu crowd. So what?

Comment

Originally posted by Honusonthesound
              Either way, anybody logging in from a computer in any .edu domain got access while those logging in from elsewhere were excluded.
              That's not true. I have Bellsouth internet access and I can watch it. And there are some folks that I work with who have a different ISP than Bellsouth who can watch it and some that can't. One of my co-workers told me that the reason that he switched his ISP was because his old ISP different have ESPN360, and during the football season, that was the only way he could see LSU's non-televised (rent-a-rout) games.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                No, just give us the option to pay for it ourselves if our ISP won't. But they won't even give us that option.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                  Originally posted by gh
                  No, just give us the option to pay for it ourselves if our ISP won't. But they won't even give us that option.
                  People who live in areas where none of the ISP's carry ESPN360 definitely have a gripe.

Comment

As I recall, if you tried to sign on in an area where it isn't carried (like mine), there was some methodology for contacting your ISP to put pressure on them.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      As I recall, if you tried to sign on in an area where it isn't carried (like mine), there was some methodology for contacting your ISP to put pressure on them.
                      So did your pressure result in them changing their mind?

Comment

"pressure" to those people is when, say, 10,000 people complain. (in your local region, not nationwide) Obviously not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                          Originally posted by gh
                          Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Oh give me a break.

Here is the area my ISP covers: http://www.hcc.net/docs/HCCCoveragemap.pdf I live on a State Park surrounded by an Indian Reservation, I don't exactly have a lot of options for internet.

They probably have a few thousand customers at best. It's not realistic to expect them to pay ESPN for access to ESPN 360. I would not even waste my breath trying to persuade them.

They should give individual customers the right to pay per event. This ISP stuff is ridiculous and screws over the true fans.

Comment

Working...
                            X