X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF ready to consider no-false-start rule

story now on front page.

ps--yeah! As in, way overdue.

About time. Every race now has the obligatory false start to get it out of the way.

The pursuit race in the 1500 decathlon would also be great. I presume it would be of the order of:
    A is x points ahead = y seconds of B, then A would get a head start of y seconds in front of B.

P.S. Now, if they would get rid of the 2 turn stagger in the 400 and run only the first curve in lanes that would really be something!

Comment

Soon it will be like Swimming, the race will be run and then the winner will be disqualified for a false start. No one will have any idea what is going on.

I enjoyed the old 1 false start each rule - gave a sense of gravitas to the proceedings.

Comment

On a serious note, what is the expected effect this is supposed to have on the avg reaction times in the sprints?

Is it supposed to raise it by .01 on avg? .04? what?

Is it worth it? Cuz I mean, obv a false start slows the race time down since everyone's legs aren't fresh anymore, but on the other hand, will people be more cautious and all have like 0.2x RT's now? That would be kinda lame.

Comment

The No-False-Start Rule is long overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by The Atheist
            Cuz I mean, obv a false start slows the race time down since everyone's legs aren't fresh anymore, but on the other hand, will people be more cautious and all have like 0.2x RT's now? That would be kinda lame.
            It didn't slow Donovan Bailey down much in Atlanta. I believe there were two or three false starts in that one.
            If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

False starts are a waste of time and track and field doesn't have a lot of time to waste. We need to adopt the No-False-Start Rule now.

Comment

Hoo-ray!

In a society that has lost the notion of discipline, the current rule sum up the over indulgence of youth!
                "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Alas, on-time track meets and better tv schedules.

Comment

The funniest thing in this whole debate, for those who insist that the athletes need the FS option, is that outside of 55/60m events, the faster starters statistically are not the winners of the race. They get passed by 40-60m by those with better overall skills and training.

A perfect example is my own. I had 2 college teammates who ran in the 96 OG. They both ran the 200m & one ran the 4x4. I had been a race walker for 7 yrs at that point. Neither of them could beat me out of the blocks to the 10m point of the track, legally or illegally. They were never very happy when the coach made them practice starts against me. It did provide comic relief for the rest of the team, though. If had just been able to run the other 90-190m faster, who knows....

Comment

Originally posted by mrbowie
                      Hoo-ray!

In a society that has lost the notion of discipline, the current rule sum up the over indulgence of youth!
                      Interesting that the present rule shares the blame of the fault with everyone in the race, there might be a lesson about pop cultural there.

I would like to get a brief summary/history of T&FN opinions on the various false start rules over the years.
                      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                        The pursuit race in the 1500 decathlon would also be great. I presume it would be of the order of:
                        A is x points ahead = y seconds of B, then A would get a head start of y seconds in front of B.
                        Boy, wonder why nobody has thought of that before!

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                          Originally posted by Conor Dary
                          Boy, wonder why nobody has thought of that before!
                          So if you are 1000 points behind you get to start the 1500 on the morning after the awards ceremony.
                          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

tafny paulie !!!

seriously though, they use that method in modern pentathlon which to paraphrase ovett is

4 mickey mouse events & a 3k x-country race
                            now, i always looked forward to it in OG, because we always won gold or came very, very close - we were completely shit at the 4 mickey mouse events (apart from horsey jumping ), but as usual, damn strong runners compared to continentals ( recruited physical ed teachers & taught them horsey, gunning & sword-fighting )

invariabley we came into the run in 20th position, but that didn't matter - we always had a 9'30 gal there & all she needed was 1'00 maximal deficit & she'd storm past the heroic continental who'd won initial 4 events to win gold by 30m

staggered run is always great !

Comment

Here we go again.

It is all a farce. They used the same reasoning when they reduced the FS rule a few years ago. Mind games. So what?! Newsflash, sprints are about as much strategy and technical expertise as all other events on the track.

The no false start rule does not eliminate anything, not gamesmanship, and not time. What it does do is add happenstance to the event. There is no way to make it make sense to you naysayers because you do not want it to make sense. Just trust me when I tell you, discipline is not the cause of all false starts. For those that love to cite high school and college as proof that this will be better, neither of these levels are running for their living.

Which brings me to the real problem I have with the continued assault on the athletes, the officials. We do not have regulated starters, they are not trained and certified. There is no set rule as to how a starter should conduct himself. Any of you ever bitch when a starter fires too soon and catches the sprinter coming up? It happens regularly, it has cost people races, but that is just written off as a part of the game. Yet when the athlete is too quick he is gaming the field, undisciplined or trying to cheat. No, it is just a part of the game.
                              If you want to make it a no false start then we need regulation starting. We need certified starters. We cannot afford to have starters unaware of the rules, getting nervous, or holding for abnormal times.

You include that in the conversation and I do not have a problem accepting the no false start rule. However, this is not even a conversation, and never has been. So I will continue to educate and remind folks that 2 false starts was not a problem. No time has been saved, and we still have multiple false start races. What has happened is you find more time wasted in trying to find an excuse to not dismiss athletes.

One day we will learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X