Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one of the most unusual doubles ever!

Prep expert Larry Byrne came up with this gem:

<<I'm [like all true track staticians] still pouring-over all the NIN rersults with "a fine tooth comb", especially those of my beloved adopted state Rhode Island!

Lo and behold, I've located perhaps the rarest of "doubles", not only in the two events contested, but in the exact identical measurements in both...as follows...

Bethany Power, a senior at LsSalle Academy in Providence competed in the Weight Throw on Friday [3/13], finishing 33rd with a best throw of
    35-8.75 [10.89m].

Then on Saturday [3/14] she competed in the Triple Jump, finishing in 20th with a best jump of [you guessed it] 35-8.75 [10.89].

What are the odds of that ever happening...let alone in two very divergent field events?>>

I dunno how to calculate the odds but that is rare rarity.

My personal head shaker is going to the fourth jump, which was 1/4" different, to break a first place tie in the LJ in the HS State meet years ago. Had that jump been a tie, the 2nd place kid would have won because the winner had fouls in round 1 and 3.
    An argument for never deliberately fouling to erase a bad jump or throw.

Comment

Re: one of the most unusual doubles ever!

Originally posted by gh
      Prep expert Larry Byrne came up with this gem:

<<I'm [like all true track staticians] still pouring-over all the NIN rersults with "a fine tooth comb", especially those of my beloved adopted state Rhode Island!

Lo and behold, I've located perhaps the rarest of "doubles", not only in the two events contested, but in the exact identical measurements in both...as follows...

Bethany Power, a senior at LsSalle Academy in Providence competed in the Weight Throw on Friday [3/13], finishing 33rd with a best throw of
      35-8.75 [10.89m].

Then on Saturday [3/14] she competed in the Triple Jump, finishing in 20th with a best jump of [you guessed it] 35-8.75 [10.89].

What are the odds of that ever happening...let alone in two very divergent field events?>>
      Maybe she was retrieving her implement from the night before and the officials marked it?

Comment

An older brother PV = 12'10" (steel) and 880 @ ~2:00/ mile @ 4:30low ... in HS. I always thought that was an odd combo. PV woulda been higher but no success with bend in fiberglass. Steel should date this.

Comment

Colin Campbell arrived at USC as a 1:51 800m runner. Now he's a 185' discus thrower. Not a double in one day, but a unique 'lifetime' double that i doubt has ever been done before.

Comment

Re: one of the most unusual doubles ever!

Originally posted by gh
            1st stab, i'd say maybe 1 in 100

she was likely to throw in a narrow range for both, possibly 10 - 11m for both

so, pick any mark from event A, likelihood of matching it, is range in cm of event B - again 100cm or 1 in 100

if range of event B beforehand was 10 - 12m, then odds more like 1 in 200

Comment

is this any more unusual than an olympic gold in shot put and in high jump?????

Comment

Working...
              X