Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Outdoor Championships 2011-2015

Bids are being accepted now for the NCAA meet 2011-2015. Can't tell (read: too lazy) to figure out if they're looking to award the meet to the same host for all 5 years.

Anyone heard who's bidding?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=566

Timeline is:

Requests for bid: March 6, 2009
    Bid submission: 60 days (by May 5)
    Finalists determined: Approximately 30 days (June 5)
    Host city determined: Approximately 30 days (July 6)

you mean it isn't automatically going to Eugene in perpetuity? :-) :-)

Comment

Re: NCAA Outdoor Championships 2011-2015

Originally posted by dl
      Bids are being accepted now for the NCAA meet 2011-2015. Can't tell (read: too lazy) to figure out if they're looking to award the meet to the same host for all 5 years.
      Multi year bid appears optional.

6. Multi-Year Bid Proposal. Each respondent electing to bid for multiple years shall submit a one-year, two-year, three-year, four-year, and/or five-year proposal. Respondents should describe any additional bid enhancements for securing a multi-year championship commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        you mean it isn't automatically going to Eugene in perpetuity? :-) :-)
        You know you're going to Purgatory for making that remark? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I'd like to have it on the East Coast so we can enjoy it as well. 8-)
          I love Kung Fuuuuuuuu

Comment

NCAA would be thrilled to have it on the East Coast I'm sure, but the most essential ingredient goes missing year after year: a school willing/able to make a bid. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any instances of any touch-the-Atlantic state that has even formulated a bid since Duke's last hosting in '00.

In the 80+ years of the NCAA, the only East Coast hosts have been Penn ('61 & '76), Duke ('90 & '00) and Buffalo ('98).

Of course, for the first dozen editions the meet was in Chicago, with little East Coast partiicipation, the IC4A meet being arguably as good a meet in many of those years.

Comment

Why don't they bid?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                NCAA would be thrilled to have it on the East Coast I'm sure, but the most essential ingredient goes missing year after year: a school willing/able to make a bid. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any instances of any touch-the-Atlantic state that has even formulated a bid since Duke's last hosting in '00.

In the 80+ years of the NCAA, the only East Coast hosts have been Penn ('61 & '76), Duke ('90 & '00) and Buffalo ('98).

Of course, for the first dozen editions the meet was in Chicago, with little East Coast partiicipation, the IC4A meet being arguably as good a meet in many of those years.
                It would be great if it came back to Chicago. It has been a few years since I last saw one.

Comment

Would not it make a bit more strategic sense for a regional host to bid for the NCAA's as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                    It would be great if it came back to Chicago. It has been a few years since I last saw one.
                    I'd love to see it go to Chicago for a year. We've been looking for an excuse to get back there again - great town.

Comment

Is there a suitable facility in Chicago?

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                        Would not it make a bit more strategic sense for a regional host to bid for the NCAA's as well?
                        Not unless you're Eugene.

As noted earlier, one of the reasons there are so few bidders is because one of the prime factors required for a bid is having a go-getter volunteer organization that is willing/able to stage a meet the size of the Nationals. Few places have that.

Getting those same people out for a Regionals as well raises the bar a significant amount.

And all this assumes a gung-ho coach with a supportive athletic department in the first place.

Then there's the making money part of the equation. Unless you're Eugene, you don't have all that many track fans in the area and if you have two monster meets two weeks apart, you're likely to cannibalize the attendance. Regionals are already (big) money-losers for the host schools. Who wants to risk making it more so?

Comment

Re: NCAA Outdoor Championships 2011-2015

Originally posted by bad hammy
                          Originally posted by dl
                          Multi year bid appears optional.

6. Multi-Year Bid Proposal. Each respondent electing to bid for multiple years shall submit a one-year, two-year, three-year, four-year, and/or five-year proposal. Respondents should describe any additional bid enhancements for securing a multi-year championship commitment.
                          Ah, Eugene it is... :-)

Too bad you can only make hotel reservations 12 months in advance!

Comment

It would be economically irresponsible for those who are losing money. If Eugene is the only host on the plus-side, it does make more sense for Eugene to continue past Regionals. Why would a university bid on a Regional if it is a known money-losing proposition - especially if their fan base is minimal and/or won't increase as a result of hosting?

Comment

Most athletic departments do most things on a losing-money basis.

So why does one bid for things?

I've never worked in an athletic department, but it seems likely to me that there's a certain amount of prestige (bragging rights) that comes with hosting a championships of any kind. You get to thump your chest and say, "we're a big player." That looks good to the AD, the president, the student body. Also makes you look more significant in the eyes of recruits.

And, for some schools at least, I'm sure it's also looked at as a way to get homefield advantage in qualifying people to the Nationals.

If track had to make money there would be no collegiate track.

Comment

Working...
                              X