how many steps to the first hurdle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many steps to the first hurdle?

Olympic medalist David Oliver has switched block positions; now taking just 7 steps to the first hurdle instead of 8. I have to admit to not having any feel at all for how unusual this might be. I've certainly seen others do it through the years.

Thoughts?

Robles does it.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Of course the key is to use the step pattern that gives the hurdler the best attack on and the best momentum off the first hurdle. It is a variable David can tweek.

Comment

Nice article from my favorite hurdle site.

http://www.hurdlesfirst.com/sevenstepping.htm
        There are no strings on me

Comment

considering he has a pathetic 7.45i & run 12.95 off that, if it means he can start faster, then that 12.95 looks pretty dead-meat

Comment

Originally posted by guru

Arto Bryggare wasn't in the 6-7 range; he was just 6-4¼. (Perhaps he was thinking of 6-7 Florian Schwarthoff?)

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Arto Bryggare wasn't in the 6-7 range; he was just 6-4¼. (Perhaps he was thinking of 6-7 Florian Schwarthoff?)
              First thing I noticed in that article, and you beat me to this punch by seconds.

Comment

There are, of course, disadvantages to 7-stepping. Now you are not driving out of the blocks with your stronger leg. You are also taking longer strides, which, in starting, frequently results in lower turnover rate, so you are not establishing the quick turnover you need in the race. Then, as the article mentions, you have to go back to a shorter stride between hurdles. The advantage - taking fewer steps to the first hurdle - is definitely a big plus, but 7-stepping is no guarantee for a faster overall time. If it does work for you, it can be a race-winner.

It's a little like 13-stepping the 400. It may work against you, even if you can do it, by forcing you to run the first 200 too fast and exhausting you for the finish. Worked for Moses though!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Worked for Moses though!
                  What was Young's normal stride pattern?

Comment

Robles and D.O. are big enough to make seven steps work. Robles has no problem driving at teh first hurdle and I do not think D.O. will either. It is for a certain sized hurdler, we will not see the likes of Allen doing seven steps. Florian should have seven stepped if he did not.

Kevin's wr step pattern was 21-13-13-12-12-13-13-13-13-13-home. Some said 12 steps could never be done. His regular pattern was 13s all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                      Kevin's wr step pattern was 21-13-13-12-12-13-13-13-13-13-home. Some said 12 steps could never be done. His regular pattern was 13s all the way around.
                      Does anyone know if he surprised himself with the 12's on the back straight? Or was he always planning to stretch out more?

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Both Bryggare and Schwartfoff used 7 steps to the first hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                          Does anyone know if he surprised himself with the 12's on the back straight? Or was he always planning to stretch out more?
                          If he was ever suprised it was probably in the Barcelona heats, where he opened at 13-13-11-12-12!

Comment

gh that is a myth, there was never an 11.

Daisy, it was not a surprise and was the plan. In practice he did it a lot. it was not a surprise nor was it a daunting task for him. It came to be because he kept chopping hurdles 4 and 5, so he and John worked it out. He had to control the first three then let it fly through 4 and 5. It was well practiced and saved for the final.

We should all be so fortunate as to be able to chill at 13 for ten!!!!!

Comment

We should all be so fortunate as to be able to chill at 13 for ten!!!!!
                              There ya go - Kevin Yung was the ideal candidate for 2-stepping. I see in my handy-dandy FAST Annual that KY ran the 110H in 13.65 in his Oly win year. He was probably impeded by his too-long stride length. Note that his time in the 400H comes out to 12.86 for 110m!!! Quick Sherman, to the Wayback Machine, we have some coaching to do!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X