Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smoke
    We should all be so fortunate as to be able to chill at 13 for ten!!!!!
    There ya go - Kevin Young was the ideal candidate for 2-stepping. He can alternate. I see in my handy-dandy FAST Annual that KY ran the 110H in 13.65 in his Oly win year. He was probably impeded by his too-long stride length. Note that his time in the 400H comes out to 12.86 for 110m!!! Quick Sherman, to the Wayback Machine, we have some coaching to do!!!

Comment

The citation for the 11 comes from France's L’Équipe in the fall of ’92. Did a very respected job of covering the sport in those days, but doesn't mean they weren't wrong. Our Olympic coverage makes no mention of it.

Whomever sees Kevin next should ask him just to confirm for once and for all.

Comment

Don't ask Kevin, please don't LOL Last time I heard Kevin talk he screwed up the race pattern. Trust me, not only was I a friend, but I was the assistant coach atthe time. I had the unique experience of training with him from 1989 through 1992 and helping coach him in 1992 through 1994. There's no eleven. Believe me, we celebrate 12 enough, if there was 11 I would not hesitate to throw it out there, that is a HUGE feat.

To be clear, he actually ran into trouble at hurdle 3, and John decided to hold him back until 4 so as not to blow it out too early and die coming home. He would have been a major factor in 1991 but was nursing a hamstring injury throughout the season.

Also if memory serves me KY was 13.8 on his non dominate leg also. He ran 45.11 at Mt SAC that year finishing 3rd behind none other than Quincy Watts and Steve Lewis. now that was a great race

Comment

My question/statement here is: Would a 7 step start help Robles' race? I see where, by virtue of Oliver's height, it would certainly help him. Although Robles can handle a 7 I think it would be just a display of his prowess...I want to be corrected or endoresed on this one as I am seeking to learn from your experiences. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Eldrick..you seem way out of wack with the stats you regergitated , what are you trying to say and how are you relating it to the topic... I'm lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry
            My question/statement here is: Would a 7 step start help Robles' race? I see where, by virtue of Oliver's height, it would certainly help him. Although Robles can handle a 7 I think it would be just a display of his prowess...I want to be corrected or endoresed on this one as I am seeking to learn from your experiences. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Eldrick..you seem way out of wack with the stats you regergitated , what are you trying to say and how are you relating it to the topic... I'm lost?
            See the #2 entry above

"Robles does it."[I see your point now, PH]edited 1 time

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235

See the #2 entry above

"Robles does it."
              Yeah..see my entry again. I know "Robeles does it " but I want to know if it will actually contribute to him running better times and a safer, more efficient race.

Comment

he has the slowest indoor time ( of anyone who's run it seriousl ) by miles of a <13 guy

if any way can be found to increase his initial 60, then he's likely to demolish his outdoor time

Comment

...He ran 45.11 at Mt SAC that year finishing 3rd behind none other than Quincy Watts and Steve Lewis. now that was a great race
                  Even in replay today, it's still fun to watch. Wouldn't have been a bad option if necessary for Barcelona 4x4 either.

Comment

Chutai please share. How crazy is that. In that race you had the defending Olympic Champ, the soon to be Olympic champ and the soon to be Olympic champ wrh.

PH I don't follow you. That is what he does every race. He has run the wr, and you would not notice it unless told it comes off so natural. It is also good to note noone beats him to hurdle one, not even TT. And Robles is 6'4" I think it works well for him
                    He does have a goofy block setting though, I think it is part of their plan to take out that extra step.

I do not believe one needs to do seven to be able to compete however, I will be interested in seeing D.O. work the seven step approach

Comment

It is also good to note noone beats him to hurdle one, not even TT
                      i'm not sure where you get this from ( perhaps you need an eye-test ? )

go look at wr race - 2T beats him to 1st hurdle

I do not believe one needs to do seven to be able to compete however
                      2T has proven this with 12.95 & now slashed his indoors to 7.37 off non-7

Comment

eldrick I have seen the wr race, I watched before I wrote that, did TT beat him there? Or were they there together and Robles stepped off and took off.
                        OK, I will not belabor the point because it is not the point. Robles is "with" ( a fairer statement, yes?) TT at one and that is a huge feat for his size, and goes to the point about his seven being very effective for him.

Comment

Is anyone aware of a woman who has even contemplated 7 steps to the first hurdle? She'd probably be too big for the event, though Heike Dreschler had heptathlon aspirations and was certainly tall enough to do it.

Comment

eldrick I have seen the wr race, I watched before I wrote that, did TT beat him there? Or were they there together and Robles stepped off and took off.
                            OK, I will not belabor the point because it is not the point. Robles is "with" ( a fairer statement, yes?) TT at one and that is a huge feat for his size, and goes to the point about his seven being very effective for him.
                            Exactly right! For what it's worth, there is a moment at about the 4th or 5th stride were TT is ahead but by the first hurdle Robles has caught him and passes him going over the hurdle. That means Robles' greater efficiency has neutralized TT's better flat speed.

Comment

Re: how many steps to the first hurdle?

Originally posted by gh
                              Olympic medalist David Oliver has switched block positions; now taking just 7 steps to the first hurdle instead of 8. I have to admit to not having any feel at all for how unusual this might be. I've certainly seen others do it through the years.

Thoughts?
                              I remember a claim (can't authenticate) that Daley Thompson experimented with starting a foot back from the line because he felt the chopping necessary for 8 was slowing him down ... as a former hurdler I can't say it makes sense, though.

Comment

Re: how many steps to the first hurdle?

Originally posted by berkeley
                                I remember a claim (can't authenticate) that Daley Thompson experimented with starting a foot back from the line because he felt the chopping necessary for 8 was slowing him down ... as a former hurdler I can't say it makes sense, though.
                                My hurdlers and I routinely change our block positions up and back, and switching lead foot, in order to get over the first hurdle the fastest.

Comment

Working...
                                X