Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Vaulter Mesnil runs naked through Paris with his pole

From Yahoo news:

A French pole vaulting champion has run naked with his pole through the streets of Paris and posted the video on the Internet, hoping to draw attention to his quest for a new sponsorship deal. Skip related content
    Related photos / videos An unidentified athlete competes during the women's pole vault event at the IAAF Golden …More Enlarge photo Romain Mesnil, who won a silver medal at the 2007 Athletics World Championships in Osaka, used to be sponsored by U.S. sports brand Nike but says his contract expired last year and was not renewed.

"It was probably for budgetary and strategic reasons. It's the crisis," he wrote on his website (www.romain-mesnil.com).

Many athletes have reported difficulties obtaining corporate sponsorship as companies cut costs because of the global economic downturn.

In his video, Mesnil runs with his pole as if preparing for a vault at tourist spots like Montmartre and the Pont des Arts across the River Seine. A black square has been added to the footage to cover his private parts.

The video has succeeded in drawing attention to Mesnil's plight, at least in France. It was broadcast on primetime state television news bulletins.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20090329/to ... 87f7f.html

At least he's bringing some publicity to the sport!

Are they sure it was his pole that he was carrying? :twisted:

Comment

How can a guy run naked WITHOUT his pole?

Comment

While I see the humor and it is predictable this is another sad chapter in our sport. The story reads, due to economics Mesnil was cut and he ran down the street naked to garner attention. That is pathetic. This is not Adam wearing a shirt that says Rent Here.
        When will we look up and realize we are a sideshow? Logan came in with sweeping changes, the IOC is in the headlines talking about how they will blacklist the supporters of drug cheats. Diack is in the news talking about Dwain dominating over Bolt. The leaders of the sport are not exhibiting the level of intelligence we need to gain sponsorship on an appropriate level.
        It is a broken record now. It is the wrong record that our leadership keeps in rotation. Change the record!
        And before some try to argue, there are choices to be made about what we publicly discuss. That is a big difference from dealing with the problems.
        What Mesnil brings to light is the desperate nature of where athletes are to succeed and sustain themselves in this sport.
        It is time to raise our game, from the top down

Comment

Looking at this from a business perspective, Logan is attempting to align constituent goals with USATF objectives; he has openly made folks aware of the strategic planning process; he's training his staff for organisational excellence; and he has provided viewers an overview of compliance best practices and where he stands with that alignment. Why, then, is he not considered to be building credibility and influence?

Comment

EPelle can you expand on that a little?
            Influence and credibility in terms of...?

To clarify my point, my angle on this, we have yet to see a plan that uses the product (read as athletes) as an asset. We see fear and suspicion and in some cases veiled contempt. Again, I am not saying all is well in Oz, I am saying so what. Not one sport has a clean product, yet their negatives do not dominate their business headlines. When an NFLer gets busted you do not read about the commissioner rue-ing the loss of sponsors. It may be a flash point but 48 hours later it is done. In track we still talk about BALCO athletes as if they are still in the sport or as if it happened yesterday. We still suffer from it even though baseball is the dirtiest sport on the planet.

But I digress, back to EPelle and Logan. Break it down for me EPelle, I am open on this.

Comment

Credibilty within the very organisation he is attempting to overhaul.

Many new leaders I deal with on an HR level across EMEA generally make the following mistakes:

They become reactionary and reactionary; they huddle only with corporate folks; they attempt to downsize their way to greatness; they go after new clients and customers instead of using their current ones as revenue streams; they attempt to do more with less (that downsize principle).

Logan appears (those pesky things can be deceiving) to be taking this opportunity to really consider what is most important to USATF, is spending time at work that is meaningful (I wouldn't go so far as to say that extending opening hours for contact folks on either coast is what is most meaningful), and is attempting (don't know if he is succeeding, as I haven't followed his blogs much) to nurture relationships that matter. He has a prime opportunity to help USATF reclaim its reputation, its integrity, and its future. Not to do this would the biggest mistake to his leadership.

At the end of the day, however, if it is only a tight ship that he is running and he has not increased service to the asset group (athletes, as you have mentioned), no amount of overhauling and fine-tweaking can - or will - save the sport.

Comment

Thanks. I agree with you. I am suspicious of him and the appearances as you so aptly stated. I give him the benefit of the doubt based purely on his hiring and the fact that he has taken action. I am trusting him to make the right moves, despite my personal opinions. He is the man in charge at this point.

I do hold tough to the opinion that the sport keeps making the same critical flaw no matter who is in charge, the asset is taken for granted and not empowered. Even if it is just for appearances, what I have learned about our sport is appearance is a huge part of perception.

I will continue to preach, we need to be tough internally and pretty externally. We are tough on both fronts right now and this covers the beauty and marketability of what is. Consequently we have opinions that we need to tweak the product. Honestly we do not, at least not to the extent we are seeing. When we start promoting our stars, managing our public persona, and showing the world the passion and love of the sport that is when we will see the sponsors roll in and help. Yes, part of my thoughts are very Pollyanna-ish, I can accept that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Of course, there are a couple of assumptions you are making. Something resembling a sleeping, curled up seahorse hardly constitutes a pole.

Comment

Originally posted by skiboo
                    Something resembling a sleeping, curled up seahorse hardly constitutes a pole.
                    Oh, you are so right - I forgot he was FRENCH! :P

Comment

Originally posted by skiboo
                      Something resembling a sleeping, curled up seahorse hardly constitutes a pole.
                      Oh, you are so right - I forgot he was FRENCH! :P
                      Even is he was Polish, the same observation would apply.

Comment

I got a kick out of the video. He's got a nice body!

His junk is censored, but there are some nice shots of his bum, so you might not want to watch it at work.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZqkqJB_Yeo

He's got a lot of other goofy videos on YouTube. He and his pals did this sweet video shoot on some sand dunes or something with these black trainer poles. It was really neat.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                          there are some nice shots of his bum, so you might not want to watch it at work.
                          or at home . . . or, unless your name ends in 'ump', ever :roll:

Comment

Wow....major coverage on CNN - AC/360. Now we know what we have to do to get major media interest.... Lady Pole Vaulters....your turn

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                              there are some nice shots of his bum, so you might not want to watch it at work.
                              or at home . . . or, unless your name ends in 'ump', ever :roll:
                              Has anyone seen the 'umps' since this video has been posted? I'm a bit worried ... :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X