Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA announcer at Stanford meet?

Was that you, gh?

Stanford Invitational announcers were Keith Conning (high school events) and Mike Jay (college events).

Comment

Those guys are good, as is our own "A Team" made up of gh and Bob H. I used to recognize the voices of gh and Bob, but it's been a long time since Atlanta '96.

Comment

You might hear GH and BH if you come to Eugene this June for the national meet.

Comment

I believe your last chance ever to hear gh/bh at the same meet was this year's Millrose.

Comment

What, did one of you pass on in the meantime?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              I believe your last chance ever to hear gh/bh at the same meet was this year's Millrose.
              Why?

Comment

For a whole lot of reasons, I've decided to retire from PA announcing.

I must say that I have very much enjoyed announcing, and I've particularly enjoyed working with my friend gh at three Olympic Games, four World Championships, and a number of domestic meets. But after more than 35 years of announcing, I concluded after Beijing that it was time for me to put down the microphone.

I've got much else to keep me busy in the sport now and in the future, and I'm going to stay very active doing those things.

Comment

Sorry to hear this news. You will be missed. I enjoyed your work (and gh's) at every day of the OTs in Atlanta and the 3 or 4 sessions of the OGs I attended. Good luck with your other work.

Comment

or maybe we're both just April-Foolin' ya!

Comment

Crap

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        It was appropriate that the last race Bob announced was the Wanamaker Mile--on the same night he was inducted into the Millrose Games Hall of Fame!

Comment

If we are not snapping on an April fool's gag, yes, Bob, you will be missed. You do have a lot on your plate, and the prep required to do the proffessional job you do at meets must take a lot of time. Memory only goes so far. More and more, mine seems to have gone a long way ..... south. I assume that in any event, you will still be attending meets. See ya down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob H
                            For a whole lot of reasons, I've decided to retire from PA announcing.
                            If that's a joke, NOT funny! :evil:
                            If it's not a joke, I'm sorry, but your request has been denied. You may re-submit in 10 years (at which time it will be denied again).

Comment

Track annoucers don't receive the credit they deserve. I was at the Stanford Invitational Friday evening and appreciated all the T&F tidbits of info.

Stanford continues to carry on the great tradition of Payton Jordan. Coach Jordan was an innovator in the 1960s in terms of information for the track fan ... unfortunately, the field event info on site needs to go back to that era.

I love the instantaneous running results on the board and the names / affiliations / lanes on the board during the races (especially the distance races).

My wish: that splits would be available online right after the race. The technology is here (Gee, we're at Stanford, aren't we?). I am following Sun Devils & Sun Devil alums and still can't get their splits. I even contacted Sean @ recordtiming.com after the meet and congratulated them on the support they provided for the ability to provide timely information & data and enable the Meet to progress very smoothly.

Unfortunately, he was unable to provide me with the ability to obtain the splits of certain runners in certain races.

The data is there ... the chips are there .... they need to 'retool' their program to 'drill down' to give the information that coaches, athletes ...... and even fans like me want.

Make no mistake, though .... Stanford puts on a terrific program and can really 'crank out' an unbelieveable number of races right on time. Payton Jordan would still be proud!! What a man!!

Comment

Working...
                              X