Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26mi235
    replied
    Why don't they use 7.5001, 7.5002 etc; in this case the mark differential is trivial (and hence not 'real') and gets the sorting right as well.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Grasshopper
    Here's my guess: The girls at 7.0 and 7.1 both clearned 7' 0", but in order to get them in the correct order-of-finish in the results (probably an excel spreadsheet) they added the .1 so that the second girl would appear higher in the results. Same thing with the 7.5 and 7.51 (both clearing 7'6").
    This. Could be Excel or could be someone not knowing how to use the Judges decision thing in hy-tek to break the ties.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Grasshopper
    Here's my guess: The girls at 7.0 and 7.1 both clearned 7' 0", but in order to get them in the correct order-of-finish in the results (probably an excel spreadsheet) they added the .1 so that the second girl would appear higher in the results. Same thing with the 7.5 and 7.51 (both clearing 7'6").
    Winner! Doesn't even have to be a software 'sort' problem; sometimes it's just the event judge trying to indicate that one athlete should rank higher, due to tie-breakers. I have often seen this result:

1. 8
    2. 7.7
    3. 7.6
    4. 7.5
    5. 7.1
    6. 7.0

Leave a comment:

• Grasshopper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• skyin' brian
    replied
    they scored a jv or frosh-soph meet in addition to varsity (basing that on the 10 or 12 next to the names)?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    7.5 (7'6") on the first attempt?
    you're getting warmer.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    7.5 (7'6") on the first attempt?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    It is not uncommon now to see innings pitched in baseball listed as 8.1, 4.2 etc meaing 8 1/3, 4 2/3. Thus, with 1/4 being the minimum discrimination 7.51 is 7'5 1/4" is my guess.
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    It is not uncommon now to see innings pitched in baseball listed as 8.1, 4.2 etc meaing 8 1/3, 4 2/3. Thus, with 1/4 being the minimum discrimination 7.51 is 7'5 1/4" is my guess, although 7'6 1/4" is possible and metric conversions using decimals is also possible, say 2.29m.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    started a topic HS Reality

HS Reality

I try never to be amazed by what happens at high school meets and esp. the results of them. One typical happenstance is to see this in the results

1. Smith 10.34
    2. Jones 10.99
    3. Johnson 12

That, of course means that it was hand-timed, so one would expect it to 'convert' it to

but the reality is that the 12 could really be ANYTHING in the 12s so really . . . 13.0, but then one can infer the accuracy (sic) which which this must have been timed and the best you could list it would be

but this brings me to today's quiz: here are the real results, as reported in Hy-tek, of a girls Pole Vault:

Varsity Girls Pole Vault
    1 Evans, Casey 12 Shorecrest Prep 8.5
    2 Mcclenathan, Erin 12 Shorecrest Prep 8
    3 Kelshaw, Kristin 10 Northside Christian 7.51
    4 Scott, Molly 12 Northside Christian 7.5
    5 Kesty, Chelsea 10 Shorecrest Prep 7.1
    6 Tomlin, Melissa 12 Northside Christian 7
    7 Katz, Rachel Tampa Prep 6.5
    8 Artille, Jessica 10 Northside Christian 6
    9 Germain, Sarah 12 Northside Christian 5.5 --

You could quickly discern that 8.5 must mean 8'6" (although in MANY cases it means 8'5"!), but what do you make of the 7.51 and the 7.1? It took me a moment to deduce the answer - can you? You have to think like someone who knows next to nothing about T&F in general, as is the case in the overwhelming majority of cases. I'm not complaining, per se, because typical parents only know what you tell them, but I am shaking my head ruefully!
    :wink:
Working...
X