Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Relays decathlon delayed due to wind

If you're looking for Texas Relays results, they're being held up a bit. Word from UT's sports info dept:

Texas Relays decathlon delayed due to wind

The Texas Relays decathlon is delayed due to wind and will resume with the pole vault at 6 p.m.

The Texas Relays meet management has decided to delay the decathlon after the discus and prior to the pole vault due to wind safety concerns at Mike A. Myers Stadium. The decathlon pole vault's start time has been moved to 6 p.m. and will continue in event order from that point on.

The B section of the university/college pole vault also has been delayed and will start at 6 p.m.

Athletes are asked to report to the pole vault area at 5 p.m. with warm-ups beginning at 5:30.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

A later e-mail from trackstar to us:

<<....bad wind. My house and about 8,500 others lost power this afternoon because of it (tree limbs pressing into power lines)....>>

Say, was that Toto who just flew past?

Comment

I am a long ways from Austin but the wind was nasty today here also. I have a portable basketball goal I have in the front yard that has been up 2 or 3 years and has withstood several nasty thunderstorms without falling over. Today it fell over. Usually there is a car beside it, but luckily not today.

Comment

PGA golf at Houston Open was also postponed for wind and I have never heard of that before.

Comment

Any sprints in the area conducted with the wind following? And hand timing?

Comment

I was working the decathlon in Austin Thursday and can testify the wind was fierce, gust reported 40 to 50 mph. Five hour polevault delay, finished 1500 about 11 pm in relative calm.

HIghlight of the meet for me was Marquis Goodwin, Rowlett HS. After two huge fouls he took a safe 25-2 in the LJ from 4-5 inches behind the board, passed all jumps in the finals.
            He barely made it to the TJ from 4X1 before competition ended, He has been over 50' this year but only managed 49-10 for the win in his only legal jump.
            Kid is for real.

Comment

Working...
            X