• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• az2
    replied
    Re: Ariel Sharon vs Wolf Blitzer

conor, you've got it right....

there are all sorts of marvels in match and physics...

Kurt Godel is my favorite...

All systems are either incomplete, NOT sufficiently complex or INTERNALLY contradictory...

or something close to what I've posted above...

The other example of the curve and the straight line is just my favorite example of how counter intuitive this world can be.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Ah, yes, Brachitochrone...a fabulous cure for the heebie-jeebies.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

'what's the shortest distance (measured by time) between two points??'

Az2: If you are going to berate GH you might as well be accurate. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line no matter how you measure it.

What I presume you are describing is the Brachitochrone, the curve of fastest descent between two non-horizontal points and known for over 400 years.

Leave a comment:

• az2
    replied

a few more paradoxes for Garry...

what's the shortest distance (measured by time) between two points??

a straight line or a curve....

provably it is the latter.....and just conduct a little physics experiment..

Have a point say at eye level height, and have a LONG straight ruler which extents about 20 feet to the floor.

Now have a rubber curved device, made of the same stuff as the ruler, so friction is the same, and have this curved device extented from the same point as eye level to the same point on the floor...

Ya got TWO marbles, and now we have the RACE and the proof....

do it and you'll find the MARBLE along the CURVE beats the MARBLE along the straight edge...

voila...it is magic the curve is the shortest distance...

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    replied

Sorry, have a friend by the other spelling so I'm into the habit of spelling the other way. Point was obvious though even with spelling mistake.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

RYUN !!!

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    replied

Add in Ryan and Snell and you might have a pretty good race. Without a rabit I'm not sure any of them could handle Ryan of the last 400m. And I'm a huge Coe fan.

Leave a comment:

• DIII Coach
    replied

the classic Supermilers field
    El G
    Seb Coe
    Steve Ovett
    John Walker
    Steve Cram
    Morceli
    Aouita
    Herb Elliot
    No rabbits, just racing!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Never heard of Zeno's Paradox, but similar thing I was tought (or confounded by!) in junior high wasn't that it takes an infinite amount of time, but was a "proof" that you can't ever get from point A to B because you have to travel half the distance first, then you have to travel half of what's left, ad infinitum, so you never get there!

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Pego: I have no doubt whatsoever that you're correct. And yes, we'd have a nice healthy discussion of the OG, also...

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Kuha, while we disagree as to the greatness of the OG's, reading some of your posts I think we would agree on a hellova lot of subjects :-)

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

AZ2: I'm glad this could provide a little mental stimulation during your run! For our other readers: Zeno's Paradox is a classic conceptual problem that seems to "prove" that it takes infinite time to traverse any finite distance. For example, if an arrow has to fly 100 yards, it takes x time for it to go half way, 1/2x to go the next half of the distance, 1/4x for the remaining half distance, etc. And, since there is thus no end to the distance to be traversed (1/2 of anything still leaves something) the arrow will "logically" never go the full 100 yards. This is a classic problem because it both "seems" to make logical sense, while of course flying in the face of common sense. The Zeno vs. Godot "matchup" would have worked for ANY distance or event--a recipe for absurdist frustration and futility. Somehow, however, the absurdity of the idea seemed to me most applicable to the walks.

Leave a comment:

• az2
    replied

kuha, I thought of your zeno point when I was out running this morning...

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Godot reminds me of Yifter in the Munich 5000 and Zeno, of course, is Jim Peters or Dorando Pietri. Take your pick.

Leave a comment:

• hj197steve
    replied

michael lewis against the field

Leave a comment:

Working...
X