Clear All

• west coast track & field

Gone...

Taft JC track
    San Jose St track
    West Coast Relays
    Bakersfield Classic
    Modesto Relays?

Neither UCLA or USC are what they once were.

Yep.... :cry:

Re: west coast track & field

Although, a bunch of talented folks training out west- Jeter, Felix, Clement, Crawford, Perry, Harper, Bauhs,Walker, Dragila, Crawford

Mt. Sac Relays is going strong

Originally posted by Texas
    Gone...

Taft JC track
    San Jose St track
    West Coast Relays
    Bakersfield Classic
    Modesto Relays?

Neither UCLA or USC are what they once were.

Yep.... :cry:

Comment

You must be one of those people that thing west coast = California. Last time I checked Eugene was the hottest place in the country for a good track meet, and Seattle has the best indoor track for distances. The National Champion teams in cross country came from the Pacific NW too. But I guess we're not really part of the west coast.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
        You must be one of those people that thing west coast = California. Last time I checked Eugene was the hottest place in the country for a good track meet, and Seattle has the best indoor track for distances. The National Champion teams in cross country came from the Pacific NW too. But I guess we're not really part of the west coast.
        Or one of those folks who think the West Coast only includes the USA.... Vancouver/Victoria have had very nice International Meets going for a couple of decades now, and they are still going strong.

Comment

I have to hold down my man Texas.

Eugene Oregon is the LAST of the historic places in the West. All the other places you named are not places that are recalled when talking West Coast track.

To expand on the issue, Modesto has moved to Sac St and will return next year which should return the meet to its former glory.

UCLA is staging the UCLA Invite this weekend and the JJK meet next weekend. Which have been doing well and supported by the local stars that train in LA, such as Allyson, Carmelita, Torri, Leroy, Shawn , Kerron, etc.

USC has recruited Reggie Wyatt and has a good young talent pool going.

Pre has been included in the 12 meets of the IAAF series which is HUGE! and will open it up beyond Nike athletes now.

Home Depot has hosted the adidas classic and the meet records are impressive.

And with the participation of Bolt we may see the rise of the Northern meets too.

West Coast is not Pepsi Relays level any longer but it is alive and kicking. Better dates will help. If some of these meets would move into May you will see an increase in participation and performance. Right now many of these meets are fillers or early season runs.

Comment

the bakersfield relays is still going they had it on march 14th this year.

Comment

If you are into distances on the track, the Stanford (Jordan) Invitational has been excellent in recent years. Last year saw an AR for Flanagan, and one of the finest long finishing drives I've ever seen in a 10K, 64-61-59 for Mottram to finish a 27:35.

Still, I miss the Jenner meets of the 80s - walking distance from my house to see an international who's who of the sport

Comment

I kinda like Pre.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Me three.

Comment

Originally posted by "berkeley
                        Still, I miss the Jenner meets of the 80s - walking distance from my house to see an international who's who of the sport
                        Yeah, I miss it too. Especially good on the field, the throws were great. I lived a couple miles from CC, so drove. Good memories.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                          Originally posted by "berkeley
                          Yeah, I miss it too. Especially good on the field, the throws were great. I lived a couple miles from CC, so drove. Good memories.
                          [/quote]

Actually, I think the best single race I saw on that track was not at a Jenner Classic, but the '87 Nationals. Ed Moses had just come off his first defeat in 10 years, but in the rematch he handed Danny Harris a resounding defeat, 47.99-48.90 (iirc).

Comment

I guess I should have said...California....huh?

That Bakersfield meet is nothing compared to what it once was. The last time I was there I saw Thomas Hill the great hurdler, Don Quarrie, teams from ASU and Arizona, Air Force.

When I was stationed in San Diego back in the day I saw Borzov beat Lennox Miller in the 60 at the San Diego (what?) I also saw SDS take on Arizona in a dual meet outdoors. At that time the Wildcats had a great 4x1 team with...

Ashland Whitfield
                            Hardie Massingill
                            Jackie White
                            Gus Brisco

I don't know it just seems that the sport is regressing here in Cali. Fresno City College once had Maxie Parks and Jerry Wilson. Fresno State had Olympians Les Laing and Mike Agostini. Darel Newman who once beat Bob Hayes in a 60 went there. Now :cry: Over in Lemoore...Tommie Smith and Larance Jones. Tiny Delano..Leamon King. Tulare had Bob Mathias. Kngsburg had Rafer Johnson. Now :cry: Jerry White was the top HS 440 boy in the nation he was out of Corcoran a town even smaller than Delano. Now :cry:

Comment

Working...
                            X