USA v. Jamaica......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA v. Jamaica......

Looks like this is beyond Penn...........

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?dui ... 1_07_49_38

I know, I know, Haiti has all kinds of problems. I've always wondered about the talent there that just faded away. What if Bruny Surin had stayed? Way back in the day Silvio Cator a Haitian soccer player was histories first 26 foot long jumper

Imagine if those Caribbean Islands joined forces.

Jamaica needs to start trying to come up with complete track teams instead of just sprinters a hurdler or two and maybe a long jumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
      I know, I know, Haiti has all kinds of problems. I've always wondered about the talent there that just faded away. What if Bruny Surin had stayed? Way back in the day Silvio Cator a Haitian soccer player was histories first 26 foot long jumper

Jamaica needs to start trying to come up with complete track teams instead of just sprinters a hurdler or two and maybe a long jumper.
      The reality on paper could be seen as so Texas. But that's where it should stop.

In my personal view in review of the facts is that there is no need for them to join forces. How would it be if one were to say that USA and Canada should join forces as a complete olympic team by only looking at their geography so as to allow them to maximise on medals.

The point is that the islands like Canada and USA are unique in their own respective rights and seek to maintain their uniqueness at the homogenous level of them being represented as indiviual countries. As a matter of fact, the islands are far more diverse than any differences between USA and CAN, and athletes also seek to represent the culture of their countries when they compete.

The other point is that, it would be so unfair to a country like Trinidad which invests highly in developing T&F as compared a country like say Goudaloupe with a sole field athlete to offer by virtue of that athlete just coming out on his personal initiative.

Don't jus bunch di islands Man!!

Comment

Join Forces.. no Way! We do it in cricket but that's about it.

Since Jamaica is so far to the west most of us have no awareness of the other Islands. They do their thing and we do our thing.

I think putting together a varied team is going to require more money in the school system and sports in general. We should focus on what we do best until we master it fully.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry

The reality on paper could be seen as so Texas. But that's where it should stop.

In my personal view in review of the facts is that there is no need for them to join forces. How would it be if one were to say that USA and Canada should join forces as a complete olympic team by only looking at their geography so as to allow them to maximise on medals.

The point is that the islands like Canada and USA are unique in their own respective rights and seek to maintain their uniqueness at the homogenous level of them being represented as indiviual countries. As a matter of fact, the islands are far more diverse than any differences between USA and CAN, and athletes also seek to represent the culture of their countries when they compete.

The other point is that, it would be so unfair to a country like Trinidad which invests highly in developing T&F as compared a country like say Goudaloupe with a sole field athlete to offer by virtue of that athlete just coming out on his personal initiative.

Don't jus bunch di islands Man!!
          I understand what you're saying can't disagree .I just can't help but think of a 4x1 of..

Churandy Martina...Richard Thompson..Usain Bolt..Asafa Powell

I think they did try something like this back in the day once.

Comment

Churandy Martina...Richard Thompson..Usain Bolt..Asafa Powell

I think they did try something like this back in the day once.
            There was, at one time, a British West Indies team and Jamaica was part of that before it became an independent country, as was Trinidad and Tobago. But Martina represents the Netherlands Antilles, which never was and never could be part of a BWI team.

Comment

Powell: "we compete in so many meets on the circuit every year, so to have a one-on-one doesn't make any sense."

Comment

They have a 21.45 SPer, a current WCh medalist in decathlon and a fairly recent world champ in triple jump.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

there is very little genetic difference between population of cuba & jama, so i'd expect jama to produce similar throwers/jumpers as cuba if they had the coaching expertise + interest in events, of the cubans

Comment

Cubans have served well their fearful leader (Castro). Jamaicans haven't traditionally had that same pot of hyperbolic gold awaiting them for their efforts in athletics.

Comment

one slightly strange thing though, is that jama sprinters have been usually much better than cubans

cubans had silvio back in '70s, but no one of note since ( they did have caballo & hernandez over 400 who have superior pbs to any jama 400 guy, but 100/200 is severely lacking on their side - we really shoud have had a handful of <10 &/or <20 cubans in las 20y )

on women's side - no cuban sprinters of note at all

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                        They have a 21.45 SPer, a current WCh medalist in decathlon and a fairly recent world champ in triple jump.
                        jamaica is actually starting to do some things in the middle distances, they had a kid run 3:42 for the 1500 the best under 18 time in the world last year, they have a couple of decent female steeplers, kenia sinclalair is good in the 800, its a start.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                          Powell: "we compete in so many meets on the circuit every year, so to have a one-on-one doesn't make any sense."
                          Translation: "I don't want to run against the fastest US athletes except in the World Championships or Olympics itself. I prefer to keep dodging them like I did with Gatlin and Gay in the past."

The fact is that he does NOT frequently run against the biggest US names on the circuit, so he is the one who isn't making any sense. IIRC, he didn't run against Gay in the 100m even once in 2007 or 2008 outside of the WC/OG (correct me if I'm wrong).

Comment

dreadfully unfair

he has a proper business attitude to racing his rivals

$50k woud be my minimal asking price

dual meets died out a coupla decades ago...

Comment

Finnkampen hasn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X