Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyrus Hostetler-javelin--272-10

New University of Oregon record by 20 feet. (new implement) New Pac 10 record . Fourth best all time collegian

8-)

Background on Hostetler....

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... xml&coll=7

Comment

cyrus magnus

Comment

Anyone have info on Hostetler's other throws today? I noticed that Hostetler PRed by roughly 8 meters and the 2nd place finisher PRed by 3 meters. Wonder if wind was a factor?

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
          Anyone have info on Hostetler's other throws today? I noticed that Hostetler PRed by roughly 8 meters and the 2nd place finisher PRed by 3 meters. Wonder if wind was a factor?
          Possibly since there were some other results that were wind aided. But you don't get the wind benefits that were possible with the old pre 1986 javelins.

83.16 is just great. I liked his comment about not feeling that he even used his arm. That's the feeling in a perfect throw. Does not excactly hurt him to have Christina Scherwin coaching

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
            I was in the stands and noticed no wind. I would describe the conditions as sunny, clear and calm. I did not see the flags waving. Most of the races were wind legal including Amber Purvis's new school records in the 100 and 200 meters.

Now I'm not saying there was no wind- just not noticeable in the stands.

Hostetler took one more throw after his opening bomb- about 261 feet- then shut it down.

More can be found here...

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
              Does not excactly hurt him to have Christina Scherwin coaching
              Both the women ( Rachel Yurkovich, Ashley McCrea) and the Men ( Cyrus Hostetler, Alex Wolff) are just raving about her. Thank you Denmark.

Comment

Originally posted by jkjoregon
                Originally posted by Per Andersen
                Does not exactly hurt him to have Christina Scherwin coaching
                Both the women ( Rachel Yurkovich, Ashley McCrea) and the Men ( Cyrus Hostetler, Alex Wolff) are just raving about her. Thank you Denmark.
                Scherwin's a former NCAA D3 thrower.

Comment

I know this is far, but how good is this? what's the typical college #1 each year and is he American?

Comment

He is an American, and I believe that's the best throw by an American Collegian in the past ten years.

Comment

01/13/09

2008 U.S. Olympic Trials competitor is a marquee addition to Oregon’s already impressive javelin roster. Joins NCAA Champion Rachel Yurkovich and All-American Alex Wolff as the next in a long line of great Oregon throwers from Newberg High. Personal-best of 241-0 would rank third on UO’s all-time list.

Before Oregon: Competing for Lane Community College, won the 2008 NWAACC javelin title as a sophomore with a conference and school record throw of 241-0. That effort also qualified him for the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials. Best throw at the trials was 219-3, which was the top collegian and 17th overall. Was also the top collegian (third overall) at the Twilight Meet in May with a then-school record throw of 233-7. Also finished fourth in decathlon at the NWAACC meet, scoring 5,919 points. As a freshman, placed second at the NWAACC meet with a throw of 208-6. Also played basketball for Lane as a freshman. Attended Weber State for one year after high school, but did not compete. LCC Bests: Outdoors - Javelin - 241-0 (PR), NWAACC Championships, Gresham, Ore. (5/23/08); Decathlon - 5,919 points, NWAACC Championships, Gresham, Ore (4/28-29/08).

Prep: A USATF junior All-American in the javelin after placing fifth (205-2). First team all-state in the javelin, where he ranked 10th nationally. Also played football, basketball and baseball for Newberg. Was a first team all-conference pick at tight end. Graduated with honors from Newberg.

Personal: Architecture major. Wants to become a cast member on the Discovery Channel’s Myth Busters.

Personal Bests:
                      Javelin - 241-0,
                      NWAACC Championships,
                      Greshman, Ore., 5/23/08

Comment

With Hostetler's huge PR to 83.16 and Corey White from USC throwing 82.97 at the Texas Relays yesterday, should be quite a battle among the collegians. 8-)

And Breaux Greer? As someone said on one of the other internet boards, he better slap on his mohawk. :lol:

Comment

Thanks for the update. To put this into perspective, Hostetler's two throws yesterday would have won him a spot on the Olympic team last year. Bobby Smith's Trials winning throw was 249'. As the R-G article noted, Hostetler "used a full approach for the first time this year Saturday, adding two additional steps and a bit more speed". Looks like the sky's the limit for this kid and we once again have an American to look forward to watching on the world stage.

Comment

Originally posted by jkjoregon
                            With Hostetler throwing 83.16 and Corey White from USC throwing 82.97 at the Texas relays yesterday, should be quite a battle among the collegians. 8-)

And Breaux Greer? As someone said on one of the other internet boards, he better slap on his mohawk. :lol:
                            OK, make that TWO Americans. Not sure if Greer will ever recover from injury, but I'd be happy to see him join the pack. Look out Scandinavia!

Comment

Too bad Cyrus has no chance of becoming the first Olympic champion in the javelin named Cyrus.

Comment

Working...
                              X