Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bruce3404
    Looks like the sky's the limit for this kid and we once again have an American to look forward to watching on the world stage.
    but woudn't this give him a 95+ heater & other career-options... :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
      Too bad Cyrus has no chance of becoming the first Olympic champion in the javelin named Cyrus.
      I have a t-shirt that has autographs of Olympic Gold Medalists on it. During the last trials in Sacto, I was able to garner Cy Young's autograph and I doubt if I'll ever run into a living gold medalist that would pre-date the 1952 Olympics (I never could track down Bob Mathias, even though he was at those Trials). Mr Young was astonished that anyone would want his autograph or even know who he was. For some reason, he printed his name on the shirt. According to a 2008 article in the Modesto Bee, Young is 80 years old and still works 10 hour days on his ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by jney
        I know this is far, but how good is this? what's the typical college #1 each year and is he American?
        As someone else said he is American. Hostetler, Wolff (who threw 234 yesterday) and Yurkovich (187 yesterday, 3rd in Olympic Trials) are all from Oregon's Newberg high school.

Comment

And Chris Hill was over 260 ft yesterday,
          so make that 3 good collegians, at least!

Comment

video

a nice video uploaded by Cyrus himself of his two throws from yesterday:
            http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php...&video_id=9966

Comment

Hostetler's Throw

Would have placed seventh at the '08 Olympics

Comment

Re: video

Originally posted by fastrunnerz
                a nice video uploaded by Cyrus himself of his two throws from yesterday:
                http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php...&video_id=9966
                Thank you! Excellent technique. Maybe he is a fraction late in straightening the left knee at the realese.

Comment

And FWIW, he was close to a meter short of the foul line.

So we have two athletes who have met the "A" standard (81 meters) for the World's and we're barely into April. Nice.

Comment

Hold the presses!

USC claims the Pac-10 Javelin record :lol:

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/c-tra ... 09aac.html :

( looks like they later edited their release to acknowledge Hostetler's mark. )

Comment

Originally posted by jkjoregon
                      Hold the presses!

At least they were kind enough to casually mention " however, almost simultaneously Oregon's Cyrus Hostetler threw 272-10 (83.16m) in Eugene, Ore. to establish a new Pac-10 record". One has to wonder if the time of either throw was officially noted.

Oh well, can't blame SC for trying to pump up interest in a program that draws about as many fans at a home meet as we draw for HS meets in Eugene; lest anyone think I'm SC-bashing, I'm an SC grad ('72).

Comment

Great blog by King Cyrus himself.....

"I had the farthest throw in the world. Yes that’s right the WORLD. I couldn’t believe it.

I ran to my coach and wanted to give her a hug but there were officials saying that I could not go onto the track at all. so I stayed just inside lane one, but I had nothing to say to her, we were suppose to go over to her to ask her for pointers on what to fix but I couldn’t image that we would really work on anything after a 27.5 foot PR on the year. But as a joke I asked her if there was anything I needed to work on. The crowd laughed."

http://runnerspace.com/blogs.php?do=view&blog_id=1228

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
                          Originally posted by jkjoregon
                          Hold the presses!

At least they were kind enough to casually mention " however, almost simultaneously Oregon's Cyrus Hostetler threw 272-10 (83.16m) in Eugene, Ore. to establish a new Pac-10 record". One has to wonder if the time of either throw was officially noted.
                          Here's what I posted on the Corey White thread:

USC is saying that White's mark was a Pac-10 record.

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/c-tra ... 09aac.html

That's probably not true. The Jav at the Texas Relays and the Jav at the Pepsi meet in Eugene were scheduled to start at exactly the same time (1:30 pm Central, 11:30 am Pacific). But Hostetler got his big throw in the first round, while White's came in the third round. Assuming both events went off on time (and the Register Guard report certainly suggests that the one in Oregon did), White never did have the record.

Comment

The all-time collegiate top 10:

1. 89.10 292-4 Patrik Bodén' (Texas) 3/24/90
                            2. 83.28 273-3 Tom Pukstys (Florida) 4/28/90
                            3. 83.26 273-2 Matti Närhi' (UTEP) 5/21/99
                            4. 83.16 272-10 Cyrus Hostetler (Oregon) 4/04/09
                            5. 82.97 272-2 Corey White (USC) 4/04/09

6. 82.62 271-1 Dag Wennlund' (Texas) 4/04/87
                            7. 81.86 268-7 Esko Mikkola' (Arizona) 6/03/98
                            8. 81.72 268-1 Chris Hill (Georgia) 4/25/08
                            9. 81.30 266-9 Todd Riech (Fresno St) 6/03/94
                            10. 80.96 265-7 Pål Arne Fagernes' (Arizona St) 4/26/96

U.S. Additions
                            80.20 263-1 Adam Montague (Florida) 4/25/08
                            79.68 261-5 Breaux Greer (NE Louisiana) 3/28/98
                            79.62 261-3 Latrell Frederick (NWn Louisiana) 5/31/03
                            79.20 259-10 Erik Smith (UCLA) 6/04/93
                            78.69 258-2 Brian Chaput (Penn) 6/13/03

Comment

Just realized that we haven't seen any marks from Montague yet this year. With him in form, joining Hill (who is only a couple of feet off his PR), White and Hostetler, this could be the best NCAA javelin in many a year.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                Just realized that we haven't seen any marks from Montague yet this year. With him in form, joining Hill (who is only a couple of feet off his PR), White and Hostetler, this could be the best NCAA javelin in many a year.
                                Is that 'many' as in 20 years or as in 'forever'?

Comment

Working...
                                X