Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    If it's going to happen, though, it's going to happen in the jav or the hammer, which are not part of most HS programs in this country.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    So Hostetler is the collegiate leader in the javelin, and teammate Rachel Yurkovich is less than a foot off the lead in the women's. They were also high school classmates (Newberg, Oregon '05).

Suspect it would be rather unique if two HS classmates ended up as collegiate leaders but even more so if it were in the same event.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    My reference to change has nothing to do w/ dissatisfaction with any implements (or distances).... Just a reflection of my belief that the sport needs to "start over" on records, and this would be one way to do it.

I'd truly hate to lose a bunch of history, but if that would help jump-start the sport I can live with it. And I believe a rash of new records would do nothing but good, overall. But that's an old argument, and has nothing to do with this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I'd love to say "forever" but the change in implements--sob--makes any comparisons of more than 20-odd years impossible. What were those IAAF morons thinking?

(On the other hand, I'm the moron who might vote for changing all implements to get new WRs!)
    Other than the women's Shot & Discus what do you like to see changed. Men's Hammer?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I'd love to say "forever" but the change in implements--sob--makes any comparisons of more than 20-odd years impossible. What were those IAAF morons thinking?

(On the other hand, I'm the moron who might vote for changing all implements to get new WRs!)

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Just realized that we haven't seen any marks from Montague yet this year. With him in form, joining Hill (who is only a couple of feet off his PR), White and Hostetler, this could be the best NCAA javelin in many a year.
    Is that 'many' as in 20 years or as in 'forever'?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Just realized that we haven't seen any marks from Montague yet this year. With him in form, joining Hill (who is only a couple of feet off his PR), White and Hostetler, this could be the best NCAA javelin in many a year.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    The all-time collegiate top 10:

1. 89.10 292-4 Patrik Bodén' (Texas) 3/24/90
    2. 83.28 273-3 Tom Pukstys (Florida) 4/28/90
    3. 83.26 273-2 Matti Närhi' (UTEP) 5/21/99
    4. 83.16 272-10 Cyrus Hostetler (Oregon) 4/04/09
    5. 82.97 272-2 Corey White (USC) 4/04/09

6. 82.62 271-1 Dag Wennlund' (Texas) 4/04/87
    7. 81.86 268-7 Esko Mikkola' (Arizona) 6/03/98
    8. 81.72 268-1 Chris Hill (Georgia) 4/25/08
    9. 81.30 266-9 Todd Riech (Fresno St) 6/03/94
    10. 80.96 265-7 Pål Arne Fagernes' (Arizona St) 4/26/96

U.S. Additions
    80.20 263-1 Adam Montague (Florida) 4/25/08
    79.68 261-5 Breaux Greer (NE Louisiana) 3/28/98
    79.62 261-3 Latrell Frederick (NWn Louisiana) 5/31/03
    79.20 259-10 Erik Smith (UCLA) 6/04/93
    78.69 258-2 Brian Chaput (Penn) 6/13/03

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by bruce3404
    Originally posted by jkjoregon
    Hold the presses!

USC claims the Pac-10 Javelin record :lol:

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/c-tra ... 09aac.html :
    At least they were kind enough to casually mention " however, almost simultaneously Oregon's Cyrus Hostetler threw 272-10 (83.16m) in Eugene, Ore. to establish a new Pac-10 record". One has to wonder if the time of either throw was officially noted.
    Here's what I posted on the Corey White thread:

USC is saying that White's mark was a Pac-10 record.

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/c-tra ... 09aac.html

That's probably not true. The Jav at the Texas Relays and the Jav at the Pepsi meet in Eugene were scheduled to start at exactly the same time (1:30 pm Central, 11:30 am Pacific). But Hostetler got his big throw in the first round, while White's came in the third round. Assuming both events went off on time (and the Register Guard report certainly suggests that the one in Oregon did), White never did have the record.

Leave a comment:

• jkjoregon
    replied
    Great blog by King Cyrus himself.....

"I had the farthest throw in the world. Yes that’s right the WORLD. I couldn’t believe it.

I ran to my coach and wanted to give her a hug but there were officials saying that I could not go onto the track at all. so I stayed just inside lane one, but I had nothing to say to her, we were suppose to go over to her to ask her for pointers on what to fix but I couldn’t image that we would really work on anything after a 27.5 foot PR on the year. But as a joke I asked her if there was anything I needed to work on. The crowd laughed."

http://runnerspace.com/blogs.php?do=view&blog_id=1228

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    Originally posted by jkjoregon
    Hold the presses!

At least they were kind enough to casually mention " however, almost simultaneously Oregon's Cyrus Hostetler threw 272-10 (83.16m) in Eugene, Ore. to establish a new Pac-10 record". One has to wonder if the time of either throw was officially noted.

Oh well, can't blame SC for trying to pump up interest in a program that draws about as many fans at a home meet as we draw for HS meets in Eugene; lest anyone think I'm SC-bashing, I'm an SC grad ('72).

Leave a comment:

• jkjoregon
    replied
    Hold the presses!

( looks like they later edited their release to acknowledge Hostetler's mark. )

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    And FWIW, he was close to a meter short of the foul line.

So we have two athletes who have met the "A" standard (81 meters) for the World's and we're barely into April. Nice.

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Re: video

Originally posted by fastrunnerz
    a nice video uploaded by Cyrus himself of his two throws from yesterday:
    http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php...&video_id=9966
    Thank you! Excellent technique. Maybe he is a fraction late in straightening the left knee at the realese.

Leave a comment:

• rogueden
    replied
    Hostetler's Throw

Would have placed seventh at the '08 Olympics

Leave a comment:

Working...
X