Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotterdam and Paris Musing

To be in the Top 9 Marathoners for today, April 5, 2009, you had to run 2:06:48 . . . :shock:
    Has this ever happened before? Is this the biggest day in Marathon History for depth at the top? I don't usually follow the 'thon that closely, but even I am blown away by the numbers today.

these weren't their top guys...

Comment

Re: Rotterdam and Paris Musing

One thing's for sure, the last 15 months or so have really revised the marathon all-time lists. It is very similar to when the 3000/5000/10000 lists were totally reworked in the mid to late 90s by the Africans.

Comment

they are turning it into virtually a track-race instead of a "road race" with the unrelenting pace on good surfaces

it's also beginning to throw out ( if it hasn't yet completely ) ideas like the "wall" at 20 miles - these guys push on hard thru 20 miles without flinching & it's now common to run -ve splits for each 1/2

Comment

rachid kisri who ran 2:06:48 yesterday is interesting in that he is 34 years old has run 17 marathons before today with a 2:10 personal best, he has been running 5 and 10k's on the track the last few years with best's of 14:01 and 29:15, although he does have a road 1ok best of 28:36, he also runs half marathons every year with a best of mid 1:02's, he finished 12th in the bolder boulder 10k in 31:08,
          he just ran the race of his life today, amazing.

Comment

I was surprised at Kisri's performance. I've regularly seen him name coming third and fourth at tier two and tier three marathons like Seoul, Turin etc but never would I think he would run this fast!

Adhane's performance was very surprising too

26 Oct 2008 3rd Casablanca 2:13:29
            7 Dec 2008 1 Macau 2:15:06
            25 Jan 2009 2 Marrakech 2:10:48
            5 Apr 2009 4 Paris 2:06:30
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              To be in the Top 9 Marathoners for today, April 5, 2009, you had to run 2:06:48 . . . :shock:
              That really is mind-boggling. Just over 10 years ago, that would have been a world record. Now it's only good enough to be ninth fastest on one particular day! Heck, just two years ago it would have ranked you fifth in the world for the whole of 2007! :shock:

Comment

Last year had London and Rotterdam on the same day, with the 9th fastest time of the day being 2:07:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                  Originally posted by Marlow
                  That really is mind-boggling. Just over 10 years ago, that would have been a world record. Now it's only good enough to be ninth fastest on one particular day! Heck, just two years ago it would have ranked you fifth in the world for the whole of 2007! :shock:
                  they've been flattening these courses out repeatedly & i'd imagine most courses are 30' - 1'00 quicker than 10y ago

also, don't forget, rotterdam is a legendary fast course & on it's own site says it has been plagued with poor weather for years - this was 1st occasion in a long time that they have had excellent M weather

give good weather in past few years, i'm sure we wouda had close to a dozen more 2"05/2"06s out of it

Comment

Working...
                  X