Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guruof track
    This is beating a dead horse. The politicks of pile on from what I gather.

If off field decisions were anywhere near the magnitude of injuries then someone please explain how a healthy Angelo Taylor (with all his problems) has won 3 MAJOR gold medals and a bronze medal over the past 2 seasons??? (ANd this is not a slight to Taylor, just applying the same logic)

X-Man is is nothing more than a grown kid, who is still learning to be an adult. If we are going to make character assumptions based soley on 2 incidents and not the plurality of some 23 years of living on the earth then so be it. But I'm sure all of us have made mistakes we just don't have the spot light on us.

Had X-Man been healthy in 2007 and 2008 we wouldnt even be having this discussion.
    Barring injury, has he totally dedicated himself to recovery and training during 2008? I would put some clothes on your argument by answering that question after that then we could say "we wouldn't be having this discussion". Angelo must kno what he has in him mentally to allow him to follow external things while still being able to be a formidable competitor.

Angelo can manage to show up at the track race ready and champonship ready after extra curricular activities, can carter do the same?

Comment

Moral of the story is : KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

I gurantee if Carter had observed this rule, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

P.S. Add to that a little bit of maturity and focus.

Comment

But Angelo hasnt had to deal with injuries either.

Dislocated knee cap and ankle bone spurs. In 2007 let us not forget, that X-Man first meet back (after WC) he easily handled Bolt, running a 19.92 his second fastest time to date.

In 2008 Carter ran 10.00 at the Trials (a PR) while injured and pulled out the 200. Not to mention he ran 44.70 last year with no 400 base training.

If running a 10.00, 19.92, and 44.70 ran with lack of focus.........all I can say is I'd hate to see what a healthy and focused Carter can run! Maybe 9.66, 19.24, and 42.5. :roll:

What happening to Carter has WAY more to do with injury than focus. I will concede that he hasnt generally open up his season in the kind of shape he was in during his LSU days, but he still has performed exceptional under the circumstances. IMHO

Comment

X......Partying too damn hard, crashing Range Rovers, and Gun Charges.....

Last year was supposed to be the season where he cleaned up his act and he had an injury. I hope he bounces back I want to see him grab his #2 all time spot back in the duece and run a 43.
          Afrikan

Comment

I enjoyed reading the above comments, but I'm not a Sports Medicine expert so I have two questions:

1. Will his "rumored hamstring issues" hinder his racing in June?

2. IF he is healthy when will he race again?

Thanks
            none

Comment

If running a 10.00, 19.92, and 44.70 ran with lack of focus.........all I can say is I'd hate to see what a healthy and focused Carter can run! Maybe 9.66, 19.24, and 42.5.
              I think you've just made my point. I don't think 10.00, 19.92 and 44.70 are anywhere near his potential. His 200 and 400 PR haven't improved since he was at LSU splitting his time with football. And the circumstances surrounding his 100 PR are questionable along with all the other PR's that were run in the OT quarterfinals. Furthermore, when taking to account the wind, his 100 PR performance (10.00+1.6w) is actually inferior to his 100 performance (10.09-0.5w) from the same day of his 400 PR. By the way, why do you think that Usain Bolt wasn't subjected to the same scrutiny as X-man when he was performing at a sub-par level due to injuries?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                If running a 10.00, 19.92, and 44.70 ran with lack of focus.........all I can say is I'd hate to see what a healthy and focused Carter can run! Maybe 9.66, 19.24, and 42.5.
                I think you've just made my point. I don't think 10.00, 19.92 and 44.70 are anywhere near his potential. His 200 and 400 PR haven't improved since he was at LSU splitting his time with football. And the circumstances surrounding his 100 PR are questionable along with all the other PR's that were run in the OT quarterfinals. Furthermore, when taking to account the wind, his 100 PR performance (10.00+1.6w) is actually inferior to his 100 performance (10.09-0.5w) from the same day of his 400 PR. By the way, why do you think that Usain Bolt wasn't subjected to the same scrutiny as X-man when he was performing at a sub-par level due to injuries?
                Because this is an American Board and we tend to be less critical of foreign athletes (with the exception of Asafa). I also think people think that Bolt would never run much faster than his 19.93 (I use the word much loosely). I mean who honestly saw the type of improvement pre 2008 for Bolt (it very similiar to Flo-Jo 88 season).

Like I have always said as well, I think X talents are somewhat a gift and a curse. Had he stuck to the 400 meters he would be running 43s right now. The 100 meters threw a monkey wrench into his overall development. If you follow X he started a pure 400 meter runner and kept adding shorter events to his reportoire. How come now one sees him focusing on 3 events as a hinderance, I dont understand. And the mere fact that he dropped his best event last year (the 400) for the his worst event is event more mind-boggling to me.

Comment

[quote=guruof track]
                  Originally posted by "guruof track":2q1au2kv
                  Because this is an American Board and we tend to be less critical of foreign athletes (with the exception of Asafa). I also think people think that Bolt would never run much faster than his 19.93 (I use the word much loosely). I mean who honestly saw the type of improvement pre 2008 for Bolt (it very similiar to Flo-Jo 88 season).

Like I have always said as well, I think X talents are somewhat a gift and a curse. Had he stuck to the 400 meters he would be running 43s right now. The 100 meters threw a monkey wrench into his overall development. If you follow X he started a pure 400 meter runner and kept adding shorter events to his reportoire. How come now one sees him focusing on 3 events as a hinderance, I dont understand. And the mere fact that he dropped his best event last year (the 400) for the his worst event is event more mind-boggling to me.[/quote:2q1au2kv]

My guess is he was probably LEANING toward 400/200 after his 100 disaster & his 400 win at Reebok & his 200 loss at Pre. He trained with Derrick Atkins in 2008. Perhaps he was sprinting with Atkins in practice & assumed that Atkins was in his 2007 shape (9.91 & 2nd at WCh) not in his 2008 shape (10.02 & sixth in OG semi).
                  none

Comment

For the record, I believe that X-man has the physical ability to join MJ and Bolt by becoming history's third person to have a combined score of over 3800 in the 100, 200 and 400.

Comment

For the record, I believe that X-man has the physical ability to join MJ and Bolt by becoming history's third person to have a combined score of over 3800 in the 100, 200 and 400.
                      I second that. I liken X to Bolt and Gay right now. We saw what they did when battling injuries and what they did when injury free.

Comment

Do you think that any of those guys has the slightest idea what his combined score is? I suspect not.

Comment

[quote=guruof track]
                          Originally posted by "guruof track":o7f9xtdn

Like I have always said as well, I think X talents are somewhat a gift and a curse. Had he stuck to the 400 meters he would be running 43s right now. The 100 meters threw a monkey wrench into his overall development. If you follow X he started a pure 400 meter runner and kept adding shorter events to his reportoire. How come now one sees him focusing on 3 events as a hinderance, I dont understand. And the mere fact that he dropped his best event last year (the 400) for the his worst event is event more mind-boggling to me.[/quote7f9xtdn]

I think it is very unfortunate to compare Bolt's improvement of 2008 with that of Flo-Jo in 1988. Reasons are obvious to most, but cannot be stated "openly".

Comment

And the circumstances surrounding his 100 PR are questionable along with all the other PR's that were run in the OT quarterfinals. Furthermore, when taking to account the wind, his 100 PR performance (10.00+1.6w) is actually inferior to his 100 performance (10.09-0.5w) from the same day of his 400 PR
                            that shoud legitimise those clockings & others in those 1/4s

hr didn't destroy his basic-100m pb - just ran a fraction worse than his basic best with a legal 1.6

Comment

So many people seem to love to bash Xavier Carter. :?

The reason he has performed below expectations in recent years is injuries, not lack of focus. When he recovers he will come back strong, and most of the detractors will be back on the bandwagon! :x

Comment

i'll add that this is helluva an ugly, ill-informed, ill-conceived thread

knee-jerk ugly post is that someone claimed he was always a career-best 400 guy & that's where his talent lay !!!

absolute nonsense !!!

19.63 showed where his main talent layed !

in addition, iirc, he had no interest in 400, but coach made him do it - he wanted to run 100s but got no opportunity until end of college & bust out 10.09 into a wind

he is an immense 200 talent with slightly lesser 100 talent & lesser still 400

Comment

Working...
                                X