Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Musings On The X-Man [split]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    By the way, why do you think that Usain Bolt wasn't subjected to the same scrutiny as X-man when he was performing at a sub-par level due to injuries?
    X being an American is part of it; X winning four races at the NCAAs (Jesse Owens territory) followed by a then-second fastest 200m ever at age 20 is part of it; X subsequently getting busted or almost busted by the law numerous times for dumbshit stuff is a big part of it.
    Bingo!

    Leave a comment:


  • bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    By the way, why do you think that Usain Bolt wasn't subjected to the same scrutiny as X-man when he was performing at a sub-par level due to injuries?
    X being an American is part of it; X winning four races at the NCAAs (Jesse Owens territory) followed by a then-second fastest 200m ever at age 20 is part of it; X subsequently getting busted or almost busted by the law numerous times for dumbshit stuff is a big part of it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    Brooks Johnson has stated that Carter is both over and not over his injury ("yes and no"). An article written on Carter four weeks ago stated that he is still feeling the effects of his 2008 injury/surgery. Could either be precautions at this stage or races during this stretch simply are not on the radar.
    Thanks. I'll stop trolling every meet for "X-Man's" next entry and hope that he is ready for his annual May "debut" at Adidas.

    In 1993 Michael Johnson skipped May meets, ran 20.5x at Pre then won USAT&F in Eugene with 43.75.

    Leave a comment:


  • EPelle
    replied
    Brooks Johnson has stated that Carter is both over and not over his injury ("yes and no"). An article written on Carter four weeks ago stated that he is still feeling the effects of his 2008 injury/surgery. Could either be precautions at this stage or races during this stretch simply are not on the radar.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by Gleason
    Originally posted by Who_Cares
    IMO, it's very possible that lack of focus was a major contributor to some of his injuries. In my experience, not taking care of yourself properly will eventually catch up with you, usually in the form of injury. If this is the case, then it's also very possible that lack of focus is the main problem here. Either way, I hope things start shaping up for him. I always hate to see a great talent not perform close to their potential, regardless of the reason.
    Does anyone know when "X-Man" will race again? IF he has minor hamstring problems, many races are scheduled in hot weather in the next six weeks, so will he choose those races?
    "X-Man" ran well in the last two weeks of April, so why did he not run at Guadeloupe and why is he not entered at Kingston or at any meets in the 2nd week of May? In 2007 & 2008 he also failed to race in the first two weeks of May then was injured in the 200 at nationals in both years.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by Who_Cares
    IMO, it's very possible that lack of focus was a major contributor to some of his injuries. In my experience, not taking care of yourself properly will eventually catch up with you, usually in the form of injury. If this is the case, then it's also very possible that lack of focus is the main problem here. Either way, I hope things start shaping up for him. I always hate to see a great talent not perform close to their potential, regardless of the reason.
    Does anyone know when "X-Man" will race again? IF he has minor hamstring problems, many races are scheduled in hot weather in the next six weeks, so will he choose those races?

    Leave a comment:


  • EPelle
    replied
    His sprint trainer on hand in Scotland told me roughly the same thing before this article came out.

    Leave a comment:


  • jazzcyclist
    replied
    This season has been a challenge. Carter, who's 6-3 and 170 pounds, says he got a late start to training and gained weight. He went to Johnson City, Tenn., where his agent is based, in April to focus on track.

    "I know I put myself in the hole by not doing some of the things I should have been doing to get myself prepared," said Carter, who showed he's in shape by winning the 200 against a field that included Spearmon, 100 world recordholder Asafa Powell, Crawford and Wariner in the Prefontaine Classic two weeks ago. "I wasn't aware that if I didn't do those things I'd be as far back as I was."
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... dash_N.htm

    Leave a comment:


  • Who_Cares
    replied
    IMO, it's very possible that lack of focus was a major contributor to some of his injuries. In my experience, not taking care of yourself properly will eventually catch up with you, usually in the form of injury. If this is the case, then it's also very possible that lack of focus is the main problem here. Either way, I hope things start shaping up for him. I always hate to see a great talent not perform close to their potential, regardless of the reason.

    Leave a comment:


  • guruof track
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    i'll add that this is helluva an ugly, ill-informed, ill-conceived thread

    knee-jerk ugly post is that someone claimed he was always a career-best 400 guy & that's where his talent lay !!!

    absolute nonsense !!!

    19.63 showed where his main talent layed !

    in addition, iirc, he had no interest in 400, but coach made him do it - he wanted to run 100s but got no opportunity until end of college & bust out 10.09 into a wind

    he is an immense 200 talent with slightly lesser 100 talent & lesser still 400
    Eldrick, your wrong on his willingness to run the 400. He career in track started in the 400 as a freshman in HS. His freshman year he only ran the 400 and won state running a 46.95, the next year he ran the 200 and 400 and won both running 46.92 and 21.04, his junior year he added the 100 to the other 2 events running a 10.38, 20.69, and 45.88.


    He has stated on several occasions that he is a quarterhorse at heart, but still is learning how to run the 400 and he has the MOST ability in the 400.

    The 200 isn't as difficult a race as the 400. His 19.63 is superior to his 400 and his 100. But his 400 is far superior to his 100. One reason is his 100 start is horrible and won't be easily fixed. Also his 100 stride pattern is inconsistent and his results are as well.

    He trained all last year for the 100 and he consistently ran in the 10.1 range he did no 400 training last year and ran 44.7.

    His most consistent results event wise are in the 400 and his times and linear progression easily proves that.

    Leave a comment:


  • eldrick
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Henry
    or running from the law...
    i'm firmly of the belief that this makes you faster

    Leave a comment:


  • jazzcyclist
    replied
    The other thing to consider is that not all extra curricular affect your on-the-track performance equally. If athlete A is a sexual deviant who eats, sleeps and trains like a world-class athlete, and athlete B eats, parties and drinks like a frat boy and isn't fully dedicated to his or her training regimem, then athlete A will more likely perform better on the track than athlete B, though both athletes might end up in legal jeopardy. The list of athletes throughout the sports world who've let their libido get them into trouble with their spouse and/or law enforcement is pretty lenghty, but many of them are already in or headed to the hall of fame.

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul Henry
    replied
    The bottom line is that my origanl rambling hold true. Carter undoubtably WAS a stellar talent. Unfortunately injury hindered that but that has been the case for so many other greats who stuck to their guns and worked to overocme this.

    The main issue is that no one with a proven 19.63 at 20 and obvious sub-10.00 potential should ever be irresponsible and place themselves in position to never compete again, even worse repeatedly so. The facts are the facts, and they indicate that there is no gurantee that at 2009 we would have a XC running sub-19.63 or even on the track. We need to remember that other than super god given talent propelling one to 19.63, to tranfer this to 19.32 one requires total dedication to the sport of t&f and t&f only (not football or running from the law).

    Come on, majority here are coaches and athletes!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Taliban
    replied
    Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
    Originally posted by Taliban
    X......Partying too damn hard, crashing Range Rovers, and Gun Charges.....

    Last year was supposed to be the season where he cleaned up his act and he had an injury. I hope he bounces back I want to see him grab his #2 all time spot back in the duece and run a 43.
    If he wants his #2 spot back in the deuce, won't he have to run 19.31? I can see him running 43.x but not 19.3.
    damn how can I forget the WR was broken. Let me correct myself by saying the #2 American All Time.

    Leave a comment:


  • AthleticsInBritain
    replied
    Originally posted by Taliban
    X......Partying too damn hard, crashing Range Rovers, and Gun Charges.....

    Last year was supposed to be the season where he cleaned up his act and he had an injury. I hope he bounces back I want to see him grab his #2 all time spot back in the duece and run a 43.
    If he wants his #2 spot back in the deuce, won't he have to run 19.31? I can see him running 43.x but not 19.3.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X