Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas 4x4 false-start call [split]

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    The only negatives were a rash of false starts and the disqualification of the Lancaster Lady Tigers 4x4 team. The crowd began to chant 'let them run' in unison after their blocks were removed.
    I was joining them in yelling it. I'm not convinced that FS DQ was proper. Had the starter even said "set" yet?
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Originally posted by trackstar
    The only negatives were a rash of false starts and the disqualification of the Lancaster Lady Tigers 4x4 team. The crowd began to chant 'let them run' in unison after their blocks were removed.
    I was joining them in yelling it. I'm not convinced that FS DQ was proper. Had the starter even said "set" yet?
    Me too.

I even had a fist pump going. ops:

I agree...I dont believe he'd even said 'set.'
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Me too.

The starter was a she, and I was happy to see her firmly overrule the mob, most of whom couldn't even see the start from their seats.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
        Me too.

The starter was a she, and I was happy to see her firmly overrule the mob, most of whom couldn't even see the start from their seats.
        I didn't see whether or not it was a false start, but I think the starter made the situation worse by taking so long to do the restart. That seems to have given the crowd the impression that they could change the starter's mind, which eventually caused the crowd to get louder and louder, and give the impression that she was losing control.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
          Me too.

Ah....

Therein lies the problem.

I'm only kidding.

Not sure why you think most people couldn't see the start from their seats.

I believe the chant was in response to knowledgable track fans realizing that a false start in the 4x400 relay especially before the athletes are even set is inconsequential to the race. Rules are rules but there was no advantage to be gained and it wouldn't have been the first false start of the day to be 'charged to the house' and the runners allowed to run, if indeed they had.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
            Originally posted by gm
            Me too.

I didn't see whether or not it was a false start, but I think the starter made the situation worse by taking so long to do the restart. That seems to have given the crowd the impression that they could change the starter's mind, which eventually caused the crowd to get louder and louder, and give the impression that she was losing control.
            I agree, jc.

Comment

Me too.

DUDE!
              I was there...Along with the rest of Trackshark.
              Pooda was asking me if I'd heard from you.
              Why didn't you tell anybody you were going?
              ...And we were the ones who started the "Let Them Run" chant.
              Near the finishline. Top level. About the 20yd line.
              That was us.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                I could see the start just fine, as I was right above it, and in fact was looking right at the Lancaster runner when she came out of the blocks. And I firmly disagree with you – I think almost all the people around me saw it just fine too.

My question remains: Is it a false start if the starter hasn't even said "set" yet?
                "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                  I could see the start just fine, as I was right above it, and in fact was looking right at the Lancaster runner when she came out of the blocks. And I firmly disagree with you – I think almost all the people around me saw it just fine too.

My question remains: Is it a false start if the starter hasn't even said "set" yet?
                  That's a good question. Clearly, after "mark" and before "set", movement of the runners is allowed, but does that include all types of movement or just some types?

Comment

Sounds almost like the same thing that happened to Henry Thomas in the 100 prelims when we were there in 1985.
                    "Hook Em Horns"

Comment

Originally posted by scratchman
                      Me too.

DUDE!
                      I was there...Along with the rest of Trackshark.
                      Pooda was asking me if I'd heard from you.
                      Why didn't you tell anybody you were going?
                      ...And we were the ones who started the "Let Them Run" chant.
                      Near the finishline. Top level. About the 20yd line.
                      That was us.
                      You were there, scratch?!?

I did tell Destiny, DaHurdler, spantha and a few others. I mentioned it on Facebook so I thought everyone knew.

We sat in section 5 row 3 near the finish line on Saturday. Friday we sat in section 5 row 15 I believe. The finish line is in section 4 close to section 5.

I hate I miseed you guys but it wasnt because I wasnt looking around. My head was on a swivel...lol

I should've known TS started the chant...lol

I was sitting a few seats away from Coach Humphrey and she was highly ticked.

Comment

I can't speak to this incident, but in all my years of going to track meets virtually never is the crowd right when it gets on the starter. "let them run" is nearly always rewarding poor behaviour on the athletes' part.

Comment

Working...
                        X