Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zimpher would be a waste of time, considering her new appointment to the SUNY job.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      In this day and age, I suspect few ADs (or their presidents, sadly) really care about graduating and turning out fine citizens. They're a bottom-line business, focused on success at the national level
      I suspect they'd support Gleason's contention that it's not a "major" program. And if the money they save can help make some other program (read BALL program) a better contender.....
      I suspect any sport that's not football or basketball had better be competing for a team national championship if the'yre going to fend off an AD hell-bent on improving his own resume. All-Americans mean nothing. If Eastern Michigan has to work to keep the program (which I've heard they do), then everybody not in one of the big five conferences is in danger. How many "mid-major" programs have had as many Olympians and Olympic champs as EMU?

These ADs all want to prove to a big-time program (which Cincy is not) that they can "make the hard choices" so they can get hired for the big $$, but what they really do is leave behind soured relations with alumni & the community.

(I suspect I sound like Keith Olbermann, who Stephen Colbert described as "ranting like a man who saves his own urine".)

Comment

Coach Schnier's reaction.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009 ... 4/1062/SPT

Comment

Dec
          8. Chris Wineberg '04
          Guru, is he Mary's husband?
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I'm not guru, but the answer is yes.

http://www.marywineberg.com/bio.php

Comment

Thanks.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

It's silly, frankly, to think you can save much by cutting a few scholarships. Scholarships are a form of discounting, and you only "save" that money if you can find a full-paying student to take the place of the scholarship-aided athlete. You can save the incremental cost of the student -- the food he/she eats, and other costs like that -- but unless you are chock full of full-ride-paying students, you'll save only a small fraction of the face value of anyholarship you're eliminating.

Comment

Another factor to consider is that, to remain a d1 school, you must have a minimum number of scholarships for the entire men's and women's athletic dept. Looks like UC offers football, basketball, baseball, and soccer as scholarship sports?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
                    It's silly, frankly, to think you can save much by cutting a few scholarships. Scholarships are a form of discounting, and you only "save" that money if you can find a full-paying student to take the place of the scholarship-aided athlete. You can save the incremental cost of the student -- the food he/she eats, and other costs like that -- but unless you are chock full of full-ride-paying students, you'll save only a small fraction of the face value of anyholarship you're eliminating.
                    They have a 76% acceptance rate, so they can surely find some paying students out of the remaining 24% to replace those who won't have scholarships.

The other aspect is that athletic departments usually have their own separate budget, and the main part of the school bills the athletic department for each scholarship. So even if the school overall isn't saving much by cutting the scholarships, the athletic department sees some big direct savings. And that seems to be the case based on this sentence from the article:
                    As a result of these proactive moves, UC Athletics will save more than $400,000 annually once all aid is transitioned. The savings will assist the department to move towards a balanced budget.
                    However, given that they're cutting only the men's scholarships in two sports, it seems more like a Title IX issue. If it was just about saving money, why not cut the scholarships for both men and women in the same sport? They must have had a relative abundance of men's scholarships, so they cut those to bring the per-gender numbers more into balance.

Comment

received the following email today and was asked to pass it on….

Subject: BIG EAST/ UC / Alumni/ Donor/ BLITZ
                      Hello,

For those of you who are not aware, UC Track has been given a death sentence from the current AD, Mike Thomas. They fired Jim last year and now they have decided to cut the program (see the links below). Andy Hurley,Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Development stated to me in an email" by accepting admission into the Big East we surrendered ourselves to the way of life at the BCS level..." He also says we are all part of the "UC family ". If this is this case, it makes more sense to cut 2million across all programs, not simply cut the track and swim team to save 500,000. A 7-9% cut across the board would be more than enough and fair for all programs to feel a "pinch" rather than severing a limb.

Mr. Hurley also stated, "One hallmark of the current athletics administration is that we view ourselves as caretakers of program and that ownership belongs to students, alumni & the Cincinnati community. " In this case, they are the undertakers. The administration views us as the owners and as the owners, we need to let the caretakers know loudly and clearly that this is not an acceptable direction for UC athletics.

I urge you to contact anyone and everyone you feel can help change the direction of this program. Contact the administration, contact the president's office, contact board members, contact the largest donors and other alumni to let them know, that they need to reconsider this direction or the financial consequences could be devastating to the future support of UC Athletics. We may need a website and we may need to get the media involved and anyone and everyone that has connections, please explore all options and even take the time to look at other avenues. We also need to consider a re-instatement of Jim Schnur who was fired within 6 months of being eligible for retirement.
                      I do hope you will get involved to make a difference.

Here is some coverage:
                      http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009 ... 4/1062/SPT
                      http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009 ... 80024/1064

Here is the Big East contacts: The AD states: "There are Big East standards that basically say you're going to support certain programs at certain levels.." Thus, he is blaming the Big East for this decision as well. Are all Big East Men's Cross and Track Teams being given the death sentence as UC has been given?

Senior Administrative Staff
                      Suite 880
                      Mike Thomas
                      Director of Athletics 513-556-4603 [email protected]

Bob Arkeilpane
                      Deputy Director of Athletics 513-556-2449 [email protected]

Mike Waddell
                      Senior Associate AD 513-556-4847 [email protected]

Andy Hurley
                      Senior Associate AD/Development 513-556-9302 [email protected]

Derrick Magee
                      Associate AD/Chief Business Officer 513-556-3876 [email protected]

Robin Martin
                      Associate AD/Senior Woman Administrator 513-556-0556 [email protected]

Fritz Russ
                      Faculty Athletics Representative 513-556-3935 [email protected]

Dan Krone
                      Assistant AD/Facilities & Operations 513-556-3541 [email protected]

Mike Harris
                      Assistant AD/Sports Communications 513-240-8884 [email protected]

Beth Hussey
                      Assistant to the AD 513-556-4603 [email protected]

BIG EAST STAFF E-MAIL DIRECTORY (sorry I don't have their titles)
                      Name E-mail Address
                      Michael Tranghese [email protected]
                      John Marinatto [email protected]
                      Nick Carparelli, Jr. [email protected]
                      Joe D’Antonio [email protected]
                      Donna DeMarco [email protected]
                      Dan Gavitt [email protected]
                      Tom Odjakjian [email protected]
                      John Paquette [email protected]
                      James Siedliski [email protected]
                      Jen Condaras [email protected]
                      Barbara Jacobs [email protected]
                      Susan Eaton [email protected]
                      Rachel Margolis [email protected]
                      Chuck Sullivan [email protected]
                      Shawn Murphy [email protected]
                      Mia Brickhouse [email protected]
                      Bobby Weygand [email protected]
                      Ben Fairclough [email protected]
                      Mike Coyne [email protected]
                      Kenny Schank [email protected]
                      Terry McAulay [email protected]
                      Lisa Zanecchia [email protected]
                      Lois DeBlois [email protected]
                      Sarah Emmett [email protected]
                      Wanda Factor [email protected]
                      Linda Yates [email protected]
                      Kathy Kirkpatrick [email protected]
                      Dan White [email protected]
                      Farrah Segaloff [email protected]
                      Tom Caracciolo [email protected]

Comment

Obviously the writer of this letter has an ax to grind over the firing of Jim Schnur, the former women's coach.
                        "We can't all be runners because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

Comment

Organized effort up and running.

http://saveuctrack.ning.com/

Comment

Column in yesterday's Cincinnati Enquirer. Some interesting numbers to be sure.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009 ... 5/1007/SPT

Comment

I agree that it is sad that the program is leaving,but its even sader that the coach,athletes,alumni,and fans are gonna take this lying down.Maybe the coach can come up with some kind of proposal to make some cutbacks,but not eliminate the program.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
                                I agree that it is sad that the program is leaving,but its even sader that the coach,athletes,alumni,and fans are gonna take this lying down.Maybe the coach can come up with some kind of proposal to make some cutbacks,but not eliminate the program.
                                The program is not leaving; it is going non-scholarship. None of the above are taking it lying down. That is why this thread continues to grow.

Comment

Working...
                                X