Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can Bolt be mAthlete Of The Decade? [rename]

A note regarding movies of the decade on the Things Not Track forum has jump-started me into thinking about Athletes Of The Decade.

With one season left to go, who will it be?

If Bolt got hurt and couldn't do much this year, would he even make the men's top 10 on the basis of just one real superstar year?

My opinions:
    Bekele for men. Numerous Olympic, WC, and XC medals and world records.
    Tiru Dibaba or Isi for the women. The two most dominant over the longest time.

Comment

Re: who will be the Athletes Of The Decade?

As an admittedly biased distance running fan, I say Keninesa Bekele. Multiple records, 3 Olympic golds, multiple world championships.

For women, Isinbayeva (sp.?) comes to mind first.

Originally posted by gh
      A note regarding movies of the decade on the Things Not Track forum has jump-started me into thinking about Athletes Of The Decade.

With one season left to go, who will it be?

If Bolt got hurt and couldn't do much this year, would he even make the men's top 10 on the basis of just one real superstar year?

Comment

My top-five...

Men
        1. Bekele
        2. Alekna
        3. Sebrle
        4. Bolt
        5. Korzeniowski

(Reserve: Thorkildsen)

Women
        1. Dibaba
        2. Isinbayeva
        3. Kluft
        4. Radcliffe
        5. VCB

(Reserve: Ndereba)

:?
        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

I, too, would vote for Bekele on the men's side.

As for athlete of "the last two decades": Geb, easily!

Comment

Bekele/Lebedeva
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
              I, too, would vote for Bekele on the men's side.

As for athlete of "the last two decades": Geb, easily!
              Yeah, I wanted to vote for Geb, but then thinking about it he did kind of span the decades

Comment

Hard to go past Kluft on women's side. Anyone else undefeated in their chosen event?

Isi 2nd
                Dibaba 3rd
                If Jelimo repeats her 2008 in 2009 I'd consider here for #4
                Lebedeva for sheer longevity might get #5 spot
                Or Vili...

Bekele for sure on Men's side
                daylight 2nd
                Korzeniowski 3rd
                Alekna 4th

5th a toss up between
                Bolt (now, see Jelimo proviso for a rise)
                Wariner?
                Geb (with 3 fastest marathon's ever, plus is #2 fastest 10000 man of decade)
                Shaheen

Comment

For women Isinbyeva is a shoo in. For the men I would go with Bekele, although if Bolt breaks WR's again....?

Comment

Without more WRs I can't see Bolt as a real contender for the top spot... but he can probably creep way close if he does, given how otherworldly his Beijing marks were.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Without more WRs I can't see Bolt as a real contender for the top spot... but he can probably creep way close if he does, given how otherworldly his Beijing marks were.
                      I'd put him third, just off last year's results. Bek and Geb have him beat IMO.

Comment

Kanter should be in the top 10 if he breaks WR (much more probable than last year) and wins at WC, no?

Schwazer has a decent chance to be male athlete of the next decade I think (he'll still be younger in '19 than Korzeniowski was in '04), but can he make this decade's top 10 already if he goes 3:33 at Berlin?

El Guerrouj anybody? Pity his career is badly split by the decade boundary...

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          I'd put him third, just off last year's results. Bek and Geb have him beat IMO.
                          I don't see Geb anywhere near the top of the AOD list. His only major title of the decade (as mis-defined by T&FN) was the Olympic gold in 2000.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                            Kanter should be in the top 10 if he breaks WR (much more probable than last year) and wins at WC, no?...
                            Kanter has Oly gold, WC gold plus silver.

Alekna has two Oly golds plus bronze, two WC golds plus silver

From where I sit, Alekna is the No. 1 discus thrower of the decade even if Kanter throws 300ft (90m) this year.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                              Kanter should be in the top 10 if he breaks WR (much more probable than last year) and wins at WC, no?...
                              Kanter has Oly gold, WC gold plus silver.

Alekna has two Oly golds plus bronze, two WC golds plus silver

From where I sit, Alekna is the No. 1 discus thrower of the decade even if Kanter throws 300ft (90m) this year.
                              I don't dispute that. My mental eye sees two discus guys in the top ten. Then again, my mental eye may be slightly biased :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X