Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marknhj
    Originally posted by Dietmar239
    Hopefully, he's cleaned up some of his technical issues. It's very rare for russians to have layout issues like he's experiencing.
    You mean like this? What a peculiar position for a jumper of his class to get into:

Yeah, that's what he does. He un-arches too soon and raises his head even before his butt has cleared. He does not get good rotation over the bar but he gets tremendous height.

Comment

Imagine if he pulled it together and layed out like a Matei or Sjoberg. All the potential in the world right there.
      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

What would be Silnov's most logical sequence (heights, attempts) to reach 2.41m? He may have to do it in a tier-2 meet.

Comment

If I were in his spikes , I would open up at 2.25m to get the rust out. Then I'd proceed to 2.30m and 2.35 (obviously all of this depends on the set progression so just extrapolate with me here). At this point, I would do one of two options. If the next height is 2.38m, I would either pass or take one attempt. This would be dependent on my current rhythm and conditioning. I'd likely be more inclined to take one shot at 2.38m and judge my technique and 'feel'. If I missed, is there a minor correction I could make so that I would fly over the bar or is my body all over it? If the former is the case, then it would be a waste for me to keep jumping at that height. I would then raise it to 2.41m. This type of strategy has been done many time before.

I recall with Sjoberg's 2.42m in Stockholm that he jumped a low height (2.25 range), cleared 2.31m (absolutely five inches of daylight under him), took one shot at 2.39m and then raised the bar to 2.42m. One thing in Patrik's favor was that he had cleared 2.39m just days prior to his attempts at 2.42m so he was obviously in prime conditioning.

If Silnov can get in the 2.35-2.37 range early this season and he has a meet where he feels totally on, I'd do something like the aforementioned progression.
          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Good, well-considered answer!

Silnov, if he can get into a rythm like last year (seven-consecutive finals over 2.30m, six of which were =2.33m or higher, and his last six competitions victories), he'll be in dynamite shape to make that stretch attempt to 2.40m/2.41m. (He had a seven-straight finals at 2.30m and over in 2006 as well). Striving for 2.41m as a secondary goal this season would appear to be a next-in-line step following European and Olympic titles. He has yet to win a world championships (2.21m/2.29Q in 2007), something Holm also lacked on his CV.

Comment

Sjöberg won by 14cm in his WR at DN Gala (Zvara was second in 2.28m). Uhkov won by 10cm this winter in his 2.40m jump. I believe Silnov, if he is able to jump 2.40m/2.41m this season, will do so in a similar setting where the competition hasn't edged past 2.34m - at a meeting late into the season when the other jumps are past their peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Sjöberg won by 14cm in his WR at DN Gala (Zvara was second in 2.28m). Uhkov won by 10cm this winter in his 2.40m jump. I believe Silnov, if he is able to jump 2.40m/2.41m this season, will do so in a similar setting where the competition hasn't edged past 2.34m - at a meeting late into the season when the other jumps are past their peaks.
                I agree with that assessment. It is interesting to note that when Paklin cleared 2.38m in Rome (87') it was on his 13th jump of the competition!! Talk about conditioning :shock:. If he had taken fewer jumps that night, I have no doubt he would have cleared 2.40m and probably pushed Sjoberg to clear as well. If Silnov is in similar condition and is in a relatively quick competition with few jumps, there is no telling how high he'll go. Of course all of this is moot if he can't clean up that horrid layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                  Originally posted by marknhj
                  Originally posted by Dietmar239
                  Hopefully, he's cleaned up some of his technical issues. It's very rare for russians to have layout issues like he's experiencing.
                  You mean like this? What a peculiar position for a jumper of his class to get into:

Yeah, that's what he does. He un-arches too soon and raises his head even before his butt has cleared. He does not get good rotation over the bar but he gets tremendous height.

Thomas is similar going over 2.33

Comment

Working...
                  X