Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help--early Fayetteville results

If anyone knows Tim Broe's splits when he set the 3000m AR in Boston 2 years ago, please respond as soon as possible. There's talk here in Fayetteville of Daniel Lincoln taking a shot at the record. Also in the field are Cragg, Gruber, Cheboiywo, Asmerom, Woolhouse, Morrison, Josephat Boit. David Lelei is the rabbit.

Some hot stuff in Friday's competition:
    WOMEN
    200-Meters Veronica Campbell Arkansas/Jamaica 22.51--World Leader
    400-Meters Sanya Richards Texas 51.45 breaks her own World Junior Indoor Record
    Long Jump Jenny Adams 20-2 1/4 (Finished 5th)

MEN
    400-meters Jerry Harris TCU 45.52 2004 best
    Pole Vault Jeff Hartwig 18-8 3/4

Check the link on the front page for full results

The meet will be shown on ESPN2 tonight from 9-10:30pm(Eastern)

Re: Need Help--early Fayetteville results

Almost forgot another world leader--Savante Stringfellow jumped 27-7 1/4/8.41(PR) in the first round, then passed the last 5 rounds

Comment

Broe: 7:39.23

First 800m 2.03,7 Bryce Knight - rabbit
      Mile: Broe 4.08,8 ahead of Mucheru of Kenya
      Broe: 29,4 last 200m

Comment

From Running Network:

Mucheru and Broe were the class of the field. The pack hit the 400 meters in 60.85, 800 meters in 2:03.67, and 1200 meters in 3:05.7 with Broe taking the lead, hitting the mile at 4:08, and 2000 meters in 5:09.47. 2400 meters was hit in 6:09.78, and 2800 meters in 7:09. Broe and Mucheru had changed leads several times, but Tim Broe was full of running. When Leonard Mucheru went by Broe with 100 to go, Broe did not falter, but chased Mucheru to the finish, and Leonard Mucheru ran 7:37.46 and Tim Broe was rewarded with his courageous running in an American Record of 7:39.23, breaking a twenty one year old record, held by Steve Scott in 7:39.94!

Comment

When you talk about US distance running it is always about past accomplishments. Where is the future.

Comment

The future is today... these guys are trying for a record run... whether they succeed in eclipsing the AR or not, they are at least making a significant run for it. Whatever the outcome, there will be fantastic running, a load of PRs and great expectations for the next series of races.

Comment

>Almost forgot another world leader--Savante Stringfellow jumped 27-7
              >1/4/8.41(PR) in the first round, then passed the last 5 rounds

great jump Savante ! Hope you passed the rest for non-injury reasons.

Comment

>When you talk about US distance running it is always about past
                >accomplishments. Where is the future.

Canucks aren't doing bad. Reed broke the 800 record today by 1 second fresh off Sully's 3000 record last week.

Comment

>Almost forgot another world leader--Savante Stringfellow jumped 27-7
                  >1/4/8.41(PR) in the first round, then passed the last 5 rounds

That's the problem with track. After setting a world leading mark on his 1st attempt, he calls it a day. I'm sure the crowd appreciated that. No wonder, fewer fans show up each year. Athletes like this suck.

Comment

Hey,

After Olsson jumped 17,64 on his first attempt, he looked tired, but willing to give us more of himself. I personally don t think he made the best choice when weighing the option of making me happy as a ticket-holder against the option of saving a few longer jumps (and strength) for the Olympics. He ran through his final attempt, and did not improve after his first attempt. Nothing wrong with Olsson, as he will make a great run for the WR.

My point is this: Does the athlete have a responsibility to us as fans of the particular meet in which they are competing? Or do they have a responsibility to themselves to train hard, compete well and make adjustments to improve their efforts?

I would venture to say that - despite whatever the reason is that Sevante did not take extra jumps - he is looking at the long-term process of becoming an Olympic gold medal contender.

Maybe his coach told him to take one great jump, measure the effort and tweek some things in practice for the next meet.

Comment

"Athletes like this suck."

My dearest Cooter,
                      I am glad your perspicuous insight was so eloquently articulated. Indeed, Mr. Stringfellow owes us all his most abject apology for his disgraceful comportment. Certainly he 'owes' us fans more than just the 27'7 leap. What was he thinking? I join you in this bitter disappointment. Please continue your insightful comments, so we know who we should boo in the Summer Games.
                      Your faithful admirer.
                      Whatever!

Comment

If track wants to be treated like a professional sport, it'll have to start acting like one. Name one other pro sport where it's okay to quit a fifth of the way through the competition. Or say for instance, someone surpassed Stringfellow in the 3rd round after he pulled himself out of the comp. 30 minutes earlier. Is he going to try and get warm to jump in the next round to regain the lead or say, "nah, i guess i'll just lose this one." Only in track.

Comment

Cooter baby - you have no earthly idea what you are talking about, do you? Please tell us all what transpired in the conversation you had with him after he withdrew? You obviously KNOW that he's just a slacker who could not possibly kave had a good reason to stop. It must be nice to be omniscient. Guess what I'm thinking right now?

Comment

if he was injured, pulling out is fine. He shouldn't risk missing the rest of the season. But if you're healthy, you should compete, IMHO.

Comment

Well, thank you for making that concession. If I'm him, I just opened at 27'7, and I'm ANYTHING less than 100% ready to go again, I'm passing. It's too early in the year to risk ANYTHING. If I were a spectator there, I would have been pretty pleased with that jump alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X