X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubba
    replied
    Re: Need Help--early Fayetteville results

Don't forget 1:46.00 from Krum. With his 1:45.69 at World Indoors last year as US 2,6 1:46 flat has got to be close to a top ten all-time performance.

Leave a comment:

• magpie
    replied

>If track wants to be treated like a professional sport, it'll have to start
    >acting like one. Name one other pro sport where it's okay to quit a fifth of
    >the way through the competition. Or say for instance, someone surpassed
    >Stringfellow in the 3rd round after he pulled himself out of the comp. 30
    >minutes earlier. Is he going to try and get warm to jump in the next round to
    >regain the lead or say, "nah, i guess i'll just lose this one." Only in
    >track.

In most pro sports, few of the starters play all or even most of the game during the preseason. Many of those fans enjoy seeing the action regardless of the names on the backs of the jerseys. Rather than whining, one could simply enjoy the rest of the jumps/jumpers. Also, do those who pass not do so on a round-by-round basis? Being the pro that he is, Stringfellow probably had a good feel for the competition by the end of the first round. It should not be taken to mean that he necessarily did not keep himself warm should he feel the want or need to jump again before the end of the competition.
    Do not carp about athlete actions like this until there is enough $ in the sport to pay the athletes well enough so that they do not have to worry so much about making it through to the real meat of the season (golden league, grand prix, etc.) and the post-season (championships and Oly games.) At this point, in this country, the athletes primarily drive the sport, not the paying fans (or lack thereof.)

Leave a comment:

• whatever
    replied

"Athletes like this suck."

Perhaps this is where we sensed some negativity - but, bygones being bygones, we move on to the rest of the meet, which has some other excellent marks. To wit:
    Stacy 15'5.5
    Sands 55'10.5
    Devers 7.10
    and
    ta da
    Webb 3:57 and here we go!

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied

I have absolutely nothing against him. He's a great long jumper and a class act. Didn't mean for my post to sound so negative.

You can argue that pro sports are not about the athletes, they are about the fans. Without them, there is no "pro".

Leave a comment:

• hj197steve
    replied

reminds me in some ways of when Carl Lewis passed in the LJ when he had a comfortable lead and he was either booed or criticized by some of the "experts" in attendance. I have to agree... it is early in the year, he booms a great jump, there probably was no one theire with a ghost of a chance of beating him. If he did not feel completely right, it is HIS call.

Plus... as much as any sport is "for the fans", it is for THE ATHLETES first. Savante has been a contributor to this board, and I get the impression he has his act together. Go get 'em Savante, you are off to a great start ! Stay healthy, and peak later. 28 plus is a slam dunk.

Leave a comment:

• whatever
    replied

Well, thank you for making that concession. If I'm him, I just opened at 27'7, and I'm ANYTHING less than 100% ready to go again, I'm passing. It's too early in the year to risk ANYTHING. If I were a spectator there, I would have been pretty pleased with that jump alone.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied

if he was injured, pulling out is fine. He shouldn't risk missing the rest of the season. But if you're healthy, you should compete, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• whatever
    replied

Cooter baby - you have no earthly idea what you are talking about, do you? Please tell us all what transpired in the conversation you had with him after he withdrew? You obviously KNOW that he's just a slacker who could not possibly kave had a good reason to stop. It must be nice to be omniscient. Guess what I'm thinking right now?

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied

If track wants to be treated like a professional sport, it'll have to start acting like one. Name one other pro sport where it's okay to quit a fifth of the way through the competition. Or say for instance, someone surpassed Stringfellow in the 3rd round after he pulled himself out of the comp. 30 minutes earlier. Is he going to try and get warm to jump in the next round to regain the lead or say, "nah, i guess i'll just lose this one." Only in track.

Leave a comment:

• whatever
    replied

"Athletes like this suck."

My dearest Cooter,
    I am glad your perspicuous insight was so eloquently articulated. Indeed, Mr. Stringfellow owes us all his most abject apology for his disgraceful comportment. Certainly he 'owes' us fans more than just the 27'7 leap. What was he thinking? I join you in this bitter disappointment. Please continue your insightful comments, so we know who we should boo in the Summer Games.
    Your faithful admirer.
    Whatever!

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Hey,

After Olsson jumped 17,64 on his first attempt, he looked tired, but willing to give us more of himself. I personally don t think he made the best choice when weighing the option of making me happy as a ticket-holder against the option of saving a few longer jumps (and strength) for the Olympics. He ran through his final attempt, and did not improve after his first attempt. Nothing wrong with Olsson, as he will make a great run for the WR.

My point is this: Does the athlete have a responsibility to us as fans of the particular meet in which they are competing? Or do they have a responsibility to themselves to train hard, compete well and make adjustments to improve their efforts?

I would venture to say that - despite whatever the reason is that Sevante did not take extra jumps - he is looking at the long-term process of becoming an Olympic gold medal contender.

Maybe his coach told him to take one great jump, measure the effort and tweek some things in practice for the next meet.

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied

>Almost forgot another world leader--Savante Stringfellow jumped 27-7
    >1/4/8.41(PR) in the first round, then passed the last 5 rounds

That's the problem with track. After setting a world leading mark on his 1st attempt, he calls it a day. I'm sure the crowd appreciated that. No wonder, fewer fans show up each year. Athletes like this suck.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>When you talk about US distance running it is always about past
    >accomplishments. Where is the future.

Canucks aren't doing bad. Reed broke the 800 record today by 1 second fresh off Sully's 3000 record last week.

Leave a comment:

• hj197steve
    replied

>Almost forgot another world leader--Savante Stringfellow jumped 27-7
    >1/4/8.41(PR) in the first round, then passed the last 5 rounds

great jump Savante ! Hope you passed the rest for non-injury reasons.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

The future is today... these guys are trying for a record run... whether they succeed in eclipsing the AR or not, they are at least making a significant run for it. Whatever the outcome, there will be fantastic running, a load of PRs and great expectations for the next series of races.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X