Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt's Behind Schedule, Still Tearing it up on Dance Floors

Excellent front-page piece on Bolt. Excerpted:

Post-Beijing, Bolt has again struggled with his training. This time there have been even more distractions – talk shows, ­parties, and requests to meet everyone from Bill Clinton to Cristiano Ronaldo. Bolt says he lost his motivation to train until a chance conversation with an old friend made him realise he wanted to become a ­legend ­comparable to Tiger Woods or Magic ­Johnson. Behind the scenes his agents are working on a brand to take him to Beckham-esque levels, something no modern day track and field star has ever achieved. All Bolt has to do is keep on winning. As long as he can hack coach Mills's training regime, the dream may not be as impossible as it sounds.
    Will he have an fleckless record in 2009? Me says no.

Bolt's season starts next month, at the Jamaica Invitational, and his ­training is already behind schedule. There are ­medals to be won in Berlin, at the world championships this summer, and coach Glen Mills will not let anything stand in the way. Can he go home yet? Mills shakes his head. Bolt has just completed five 180m drills – his best 19.6sec – on what is designated an "easy" day. On a tough day he is expected to break 18sec. Mills is a ­difficult man to impress.
    Running 19,9h pace (17,9/180m) during practice isn't too shabby, however.

I really hope it is not the case, but this sounds like a guy who got too much too soon. If he already didn't like the training before, now that he's a rich celebrity, how will he find the motivation to go through the immense pain it takes to be the best sprinter on the planet? Powell is hungry. Gay is hungry, Dix is hungry. Is Usain? We think of Bolt as just some insanely talented freak, but it took a lot of really hard drudge work to run 9.69/19.30. The foundation for this season should have been last Nov/Dec.

Comment

Some folks can't handle success. Is Bolt one of them?

Comment

With his dislike of training in general, I don't think we'll be seeing any serious attempts at the 400!

Comment

Perhaps it would be best to read the complete article...

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/262231.html
          Regards,
          toyracer

Comment

And come up with what different conclusions?

Comment

Originally posted by TNT
              And come up with what different conclusions?
              That it's ok to only spend three hours at the club, time (02.00-05.00) notwithstanding, as long as you can put in the requisite 19,9 pace in practice ;-)

Comment

So - all things considered (what we know, what we are told, what we might surmise) - what are the odds that Bolt will ever come close to repeating the exploits of last summer in Beijing?

I'd bet he will be up and down but never that up again.

Comment

This man sprints very well. He also dances very well. Why shouldn't he do both? :wink:

http://www.topsocialite.com/wp-content/ ... ancing.jpg

http://www.sport.es/vivo/recursos/fotos ... 58_CAS.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                    it's ok to only spend three hours at the club, time (02.00-05.00)
                    I know the sports world is replete with stories of hard-partying, hard-working, highly successful athletes, but I'm not sure THIS will be one of those cases (not that he's out partying from 2-5am on a regular basis). :? It's one thing to play a team sport, but it's another when your athletic success is solely dependent on the quality and quantity of real hard work you can produce in training from November to June.

Comment

Smokescreen!

Maybe it's just a smokescreen as to why he isn't going to come close to his marks from the Beijing Olympics...

Comment

I had some/most of my best meets after partying hardy the night before.

Comment

all this is just because bolt produced such magic last year - career defining magic! even if he doesnt come close to those runs again - hes still produced them, it happened, and anything he does from here shoudlnt be lessened just because he produced them so early

kinda reminds, being british, of oasis in the 90's - they released their two career defining and era defining albums straight off the mark, and the rest of their career has been unfairly slated, but they still produced definately maybe and whats the story morning glory!!

any brits see the comparison??

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            I had some/most of my best meets after partying hardy the night before.
                            That's a whole lot like me saying I had my best meets after 2 Ring Dings and a Sprite! 8-)

Comment

I think we've finally come up against someone unique to sprintdom. A 6-5 100m man should have warned us we'd be seeing something different. Here is a guy who prances to a 9.69 beating the best in the world with comical ease. A guy who appears to not have an uptight bone in his body, it's all fun and games. Now he's out living the life and if he were a normal sprinter it should be.."will success ruin the boy?" I would be thinking that if we were dealing with a normal sprinter, we aren't! This guy is going change everything (not that he hasn't already) we are going to see something totally different than anything we've seen before. Be prepared to be amazed.

Comment

Working...
                              X