X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Oregon be sanctioned?

Some you might have seen this story last week:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 7605.story

NC State warns student over NCAA rules on Facebook site aimed at top hoops recruit

It's hard to distinguish between this, and the crowd chanting "Come to Oregon" at the end of the OT women's 1500. Hasay even cited the event in her decision to go to Eugene. Any Pac 10 schools out there willing to make a stink?

One reason the Huskies were hated so much here ( now they are just plain pathetic and we even feel sorry for them :lol: ) is because many years ago the Ducks tied for the conference championship in Football, and the Huskies voted to let one of the California schools go to the Rose Bowl. :evil:

So a word to the wise Pac-10 schools; the fans here have a very long memory. :lol:

Now in regards to "the chant", Jordan Hasay has said that although she heard it, it was not a significant factor in her decision making. Now whether you think it is 8-) or :roll: , that is what she's said.

Comment

Re: Could Oregon be sanctioned?

Originally posted by RMc
      Some you might have seen this story last week:
      http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 7605.story

NC State warns student over NCAA rules on Facebook site aimed at top hoops recruit

It's hard to distinguish between this, and the crowd chanting "Come to Oregon" at the end of the OT women's 1500. Hasay even cited the event in her decision to go to Eugene. Any Pac 10 schools out there willing to make a stink?
      I've got the solution. Forget all these silly PC rules. If you want some jock or jockette, do what you gotta do to get em. That's called free enterprise. If they want money, give it to em, that's what alums are for. If they need a little boost, wink wink, give it to em. Let's face it, jocks are not in school for an education, they are there to be jocks. They can raise a lot of money for the school as well as put them on the map. Nobody remembers any geek with a 3.5 gpa, but most can reel off a list of ex jocks. Scheesch.

Comment

Oh please, there's a world of difference here. What Pac-10 coach would want to him/herself look like an idiot by complaining about the spontaneous behaviour of a bunch of fans at a non-collegiate event? The difference between that impromptu event and a specially crafted website that sits there for a long period of time is simply immense.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Oh please, there's a world of difference here. What Pac-10 coach would want to him/herself look like an idiot by complaining about the spontaneous behaviour of a bunch of fans at a non-collegiate event? The difference between that impromptu event and a specially crafted website that sits there for a long period of time is simply immense.
          True it was close to 20,000 fans at the most prestigious track meet in the United States- the Olympic Trials. I of course see nothing wrong with that. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            According to the story, the website was put together by an NC State student without any input from the NC State coaching staff or athletic department. The student, not the athletic department, was told to cease and desist. The analogy is actually quite similar--a spontaneous recruiting effort by affiliated individuals who aren't aware of the NCAA's crazy rules. Hasay had probably 10,000 "contacts" in those few moments--way over the NCAA's limit. It's extremely difficult to consider the Trials a "non-collegiate" event from the perspective of the NCAA when it's being hosted and staffed by the UO or at least its employees. The affiliation was much closer than in the case of the Facebook page (which may not have even been seen by the recruit.)

BTW, NCAA coaches are well known for acting on any type of recruiting violation by another program, not matter how silly. And why not blunt an obvious recruiting advantage? I wouldn't put it past them. And it could be any other NCAA member.

And yes, I absolutely agree this rule is silly. But the point is that all the silly rules should be enforced so that we all can see that they are ridiculous and put pressure on the NCAA to get rid of them. If we keep giving them slip on enforcement, then these issues will keep coming up.

Comment

NCAA specifically bans the use of social network sites in recruiting by anyone representing an institution . . . and states this includes students from the institution.

Comment

Originally posted by RMc
                Hasay had probably 10,000 "contacts" in those few moments--way over the NCAA's limit. ....... And why not blunt an obvious recruiting advantage?
                Chanting should not be allowed. And we may have to take a careful look at Cheering and Rhythmic Clapping too. The Victory Lap obviously will have to go.

:shock: :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by jkjoregon
                  Originally posted by gh
                  True it was close to 20,000 fans at the most prestigious track meet in the United States- the Olympic Trials. I of course see nothing wrong with that. :lol:

20,000?

Uh, I was sitting two sections away and NO ONE around me was chanting. There may have been 20,000 at the meet that day, but not all were chanting. Frankly, some of us didn't give a damn where she went.

Paranoid-conspiracy parody alert:

How do we know those weren't a group of U-Dub alumni backers who PLANNED to chant that and thus get Oregon sanctioned and/or keep Hasey away from the school? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Makes as much sense as slapping down a university for the spontaneous action of a semi-section of true fans of the sport (as gh says above).

Comment

Originally posted by Brian

20,000?

Uh, I was sitting two sections away and NO ONE around me was chanting. There may have been 20,000 at the meet that day, but not all were chanting..
                    Huh?..... O.K., 18,000 then. :wink:

Note to self: Not everyone can detect hyperbole. :lol:

Comment

20,000?

Uh, I was sitting two sections away and NO ONE around me was chanting. There may have been 20,000 at the meet that day, but not all were chanting..

Wellllllllllllll, knowing how Eugeneans love to pat themselves on the back for anything T&F related makes it tough, I will admit.

Comment

Wellllllllllllll, knowing how Eugeneans love to pat themselves on the back for anything T&F related makes it tough, I will admit.
                        Eugeneans are indeed proud of the T&F heritage here. And yes, we do tend to brag a bit too much. :lol:

Comment

20,000?

And they're well-deserved pats on the back. No where else in the country will you find a more knowledgeable fan base who get off their asses and actually attend meets. Just compare the attendance in recent years at the Pre vs the NYC Reebok and the Home Depot in LA. Not only have we outdrawn them both, but we do it with a population base that's 1/32 of the population of NY or LA metro areas.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404

20,000?

And they're well-deserved pats on the back. No where else in the country will you find a more knowledgeable fan base who get off their asses and actually attend meets. Just compare the attendance in recent years at the Pre vs the NYC Reebok and the Home Depot in LA. Not only have we outdrawn them both, but we do it with a population base that's 1/32 of the population of NY or LA metro areas.

Never said it wasn't deserved. Just that they love doing it.

Which they do. As you again proved.

:]

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404

And they're well-deserved pats on the back. No where else in the country will you find a more knowledgeable fan base who get off their asses and actually attend meets. ...
                              Something I was really impressed with -- watching the videos that runnerspace.com put up -- was the enthusiastic support and rhythmic clapping for UCLA's long jumper, Hobson. The Long Jump was an extremely crucial event in the overall outcome of the dual meet and Hobson and Eaton (oregon) were battling for the 5 huge first-place points. Yet, there were the Duck fans, cheering on the Bruin to jump well. Very, very impressive.

Hobson and Eaton both went over 25' and both PRed.

Comment

Working...
                              X