Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-Conferences chart now up, with Ducks leading by 10 (since our first chart, Florida has fallen from 1st at 62 to 4th at 41.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/lists/ ... &year=2009

Comment

Ducks could do a team sweep which would be crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by CougarMVP
        After having had the opportunity to visit Eugene during the 2001 NCAA Championships, what I find amazing is that Oregon doesn't completely dominate the sport in the same way UCLA once dominated men's college basketball. They have more going for them than any other college in the nation - virtually unlimited resources, rabid fan base, facilities and tradition. Furthermore, because of Phil Knight's deep pockets and passion for Oregon Track and Field, Oregon may be the only college program in America that will unaffected by the economy in the next few years, while other college programs will undoubtedly be forced to cut back. The sleeping giant has awaken.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
          After having had the opportunity to visit Eugene during the 2001 NCAA Championships, what I find amazing is that Oregon doesn't completely dominate the sport in the same way UCLA once dominated men's college basketball. They have more going for them than any other college in the nation - virtually unlimited resources, rabid fan base, facilities and tradition. Furthermore, because of Phil Knight's deep pockets and passion for Oregon Track and Field, Oregon may be the only college program in America that will unaffected by the economy in the next few years, while other college programs will undoubtedly be forced to cut back. The sleeping giant has awaken.
          Wooohooo! Go DUCKS! Will be traveling to Fayetteville in a few weeks to root 'em home.

Comment

Only problem for the Duckos is that the easiest path to national team titles i shaving a bunch of spinters/hurdlers who can score in inndividual events and/or the relays. That doesn't happen much in quasi-frigit territory.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Only problem for the Duckos is that the easiest path to national team titles i shaving a bunch of spinters/hurdlers who can score in inndividual events and/or the relays. That doesn't happen much in quasi-frigit territory.
              The sprint/hurdle blueprint works a lot better at the outdoor championships than it does at the indoor championships, where the 4x100 is replace by the DMR.

Comment

I notice Wheating is not mentioned in the 1500. I have a bottle of wine resting on his doubling.

Comment

Originally posted by trig
                  I notice Wheating is not mentioned in the 1500. I have a bottle of wine resting on his doubling.
                  The timing isn't very good:
                  Wed--800 Round One
                  Thur--800 Semis at 7:25, 1500 Semis at 8:10
                  Fri--Off
                  Sat--800 Final at 12:28, 1500 Final at 1:21

Not impossible, given the rest day on Friday, but to go back to back in what will amount to about 45 minutes on Saturday would be tough. Perhaps the thought will be to qualify in both (hoping that the 1500 qualifying round will be very slow), but put heavy emphasis on the 800 and then hope for a couple points in the 1500.

Comment

Also, with Centro now the favorite and a group at 3:37, it is not clear that Wheating would make the top 8 with a hard double.

Comment

He would first have to qualify in regionals where 1500 is usually before 800. Some runners have tried, but none who I can recall has ever even made it to NCAA meet, much less to finals in the six years of regionals.

I don't expect him to try.
                      none

Comment

Can't believe the indoor champ and defending outdoor champ in an event just got dropped from 2st to 9th in his event.
                        Can you name the athlete?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                          Can't believe the indoor champ and defending outdoor champ in an event just got dropped from 2st to 9th in his event.
                          Can you name the athlete?
                          Jacob Hernandez. I'll be interested in seeing whether the Big XII race was a one-off, or if there is a bigger issue at play. Hate to see a guy end such a noteworthy college career on a down note.

Comment

He was quoted just after graduation as stating that he, too, would be surprised if he is beaten. Now that he's done studying, he can hang out with his housemate, Manzano, and actually train, rest and recover the next few weeks. Hernandez stated everything is pointing to nationals.

Comment

an e-mail I got after the Big 12:

<<In the 800 it looked like Texas was about to complete a 1-2-3-4 finish. But in the final 50m a KsState runner broke up the sweep and keep running down UT guys ahead of him. He eventually took second. At the time I didn't realize it was Hernandez fading in the final stages of the race.

At first I thought Hernandez was content when he figured UT was going to sweep and just relaxed to soon before the finish. But a bit later I was down the other end of the backstretch and passed by Hernandez on the way back to the media area and he was flat worn out. More zapped than I've ever seen him following a race. That goes back to seeing him throughout high school. So to see him on the anchor leg of the 4 x 400 later was a bit of a surprise>>

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                an e-mail I got after the Big 12:

<<In the 800 it looked like Texas was about to complete a 1-2-3-4 finish. But in the final 50m a KsState runner broke up the sweep and keep running down UT guys ahead of him. He eventually took second. At the time I didn't realize it was Hernandez fading in the final stages of the race.

At first I thought Hernandez was content when he figured UT was going to sweep and just relaxed to soon before the finish. But a bit later I was down the other end of the backstretch and passed by Hernandez on the way back to the media area and he was flat worn out. More zapped than I've ever seen him following a race. That goes back to seeing him throughout high school. So to see him on the anchor leg of the 4 x 400 later was a bit of a surprise>>
                                I watched the Big 12 conference meet on the tube and Hernandez was struggling down the stretch. Initially I thought he might be just trying to cruise in but the look on his face and within his shoulders said otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X