Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    After Regionals, Oregon gains 3 points but still only 10 ahead as A&M gains 15.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/lists/ ... &year=2009

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by ed gee
    Rupp is in the 1500 and 5000.
    Could be an interesting triple in the heat of Arkansas.
    June 12 last year at 8:40 (5K final time) it was 77 w/ 69% humidity.

June 13 at 1:20 (1500F) it was 80/70%.

Decidedly un-Oregonian

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied
    Did you think he would run the 5000, DMR anchor and 3000 indoors?

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by bruce3404
    Don't see how it could possibly happen. After running a 5000 semi on Wed, he'd have to come back with a 1500 semi at 8:10PM on Thursday, followed by the 10,000 final at 9:45PM. Friday would be an "easy" day with only the 5000 final at 8:40PM and then the 1500 final would be Saturday at 1:21PM.

I doubt that Coach Lanana would take a chance on the 10,000 title by letting Rupp run a 1500 only 90 minutes before the 10,000 final. Rupp is no shoo in for the 10,000 title (Chelanga has run a full minute faster this year) and to ask him to run 3 races in just over 24 hours would be asking too much, IMHO. If Galen runs the 1500 at Regionals, it will probably be for a speed workout; even then, it just doesn't make sense, since the 5000 final and 1500 semis are on the same day.

Then there's the possibility that so many races might diminish Rupp's chances for making the World's team.
    But if he pulls it off, he would earn his place on Oregon's Mt. Rushmore alongside Pre. And with Oregon heavily favored to win the team title, CBS's live broadcast would be "The Galen Rupp Show", a la "The X-man Show" in 2006 and "The Walter Dix Show" in 2007. Come to think of it, the only way that Rupp would be seen live on an over-the-air major television network would be if he ran the 1500 final on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    Don't see how it could possibly happen. After running a 5000 semi on Wed, he'd have to come back with a 1500 semi at 8:10PM on Thursday, followed by the 10,000 final at 9:45PM. Friday would be an "easy" day with only the 5000 final at 8:40PM and then the 1500 final would be Saturday at 1:21PM.

I doubt that Coach Lanana would take a chance on the 10,000 title by letting Rupp run a 1500 only 90 minutes before the 10,000 final. Rupp is no shoo in for the 10,000 title (Chelanga has run a full minute faster this year) and to ask him to run 3 races in just over 24 hours would be asking too much, IMHO. If Galen runs the 1500 at Regionals, it will probably be for a speed workout; even then, it just doesn't make sense, since the 5000 final and 1500 semis are on the same day.

Then there's the possibility that so many races might diminish Rupp's chances for making the World's team.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    Originally posted by gh
    Note that Wheating isn't declared for the Regionals 1500, so he'll be single-event fresh against Hernandez in Fet-Nam.
    He has no choice if he wants to beat Hernandez! He maybe able to do that with most, but certainly not Jacob. I am not sure if Wheating has ever beat Jacob in a collegiate final yet....?
    Given the timetable, that would be a very tough double in Fayetteville regardless of who is in the race. But yes, even fresh, Hernandez will be a challenge for him.

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Note that Wheating isn't declared for the Regionals 1500, so he'll be single-event fresh against Hernandez in Fet-Nam.
    He has no choice if he wants to beat Hernandez! He maybe able to do that with most, but certainly not Jacob. I am not sure if Wheating has ever beat Jacob in a collegiate final yet....?

Leave a comment:

• bruce3404
    replied
    Originally posted by trig
    Argh! There goes a bottle of wine!
    Since I responded first, at least you won't have to pay for shipping
    And no 2 Buck Chuck!

Leave a comment:

• trig
    replied
    Argh! There goes a bottle of wine!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    an e-mail I got after the Big 12:

<<In the 800 it looked like Texas was about to complete a 1-2-3-4 finish. But in the final 50m a KsState runner broke up the sweep and keep running down UT guys ahead of him. He eventually took second. At the time I didn't realize it was Hernandez fading in the final stages of the race.

At first I thought Hernandez was content when he figured UT was going to sweep and just relaxed to soon before the finish. But a bit later I was down the other end of the backstretch and passed by Hernandez on the way back to the media area and he was flat worn out. More zapped than I've ever seen him following a race. That goes back to seeing him throughout high school. So to see him on the anchor leg of the 4 x 400 later was a bit of a surprise>>
    I watched the Big 12 conference meet on the tube and Hernandez was struggling down the stretch. Initially I thought he might be just trying to cruise in but the look on his face and within his shoulders said otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    an e-mail I got after the Big 12:

<<In the 800 it looked like Texas was about to complete a 1-2-3-4 finish. But in the final 50m a KsState runner broke up the sweep and keep running down UT guys ahead of him. He eventually took second. At the time I didn't realize it was Hernandez fading in the final stages of the race.

At first I thought Hernandez was content when he figured UT was going to sweep and just relaxed to soon before the finish. But a bit later I was down the other end of the backstretch and passed by Hernandez on the way back to the media area and he was flat worn out. More zapped than I've ever seen him following a race. That goes back to seeing him throughout high school. So to see him on the anchor leg of the 4 x 400 later was a bit of a surprise>>

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    He was quoted just after graduation as stating that he, too, would be surprised if he is beaten. Now that he's done studying, he can hang out with his housemate, Manzano, and actually train, rest and recover the next few weeks. Hernandez stated everything is pointing to nationals.

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    Can't believe the indoor champ and defending outdoor champ in an event just got dropped from 2st to 9th in his event.
    Can you name the athlete?
    Jacob Hernandez. I'll be interested in seeing whether the Big XII race was a one-off, or if there is a bigger issue at play. Hate to see a guy end such a noteworthy college career on a down note.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X