Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS DQs, Part 114

From the Tallahassee paper:

Florida High's Ena Johnson won the 100-meter hurdles (14.98) and 300 hurdles (44.82) and also appeared to win the 100 meters. But her district-winning time was disqualified because she raised her arm at the finish line, and by rule her gesture was considered unsportsmanlike.
    Johnson said she was simply tired from previous races and didn't think she had a chance to win the 100 meters. She said without thinking she raised her arm in celebration.
    "They took it as taunting; that's not how I meant it," Johnson said.
    The 'rule' they are citing is about excessive celebration and taunting, which is clearly a judgement call. What do you think? This is the District meet that qualifies athletes for Region, then State. Obviously I didn't see the incident, but is lifting one's arm at the finsh (relief, exultation?) really a reason to end the runner's season in that event? As a coach, I do address this stuff with my team, but I'm just not feeling the need to DQ someone. Turning at the finish and wagging one's finger at an opponent? Yes, that's taunting . . . but this?

Absurd. (Just like many of the first 113.)

Comment

What do i think? I am 33% outraged, 33% saddened and 33% highly amused. Its sickening, what a bunch of P.C. pussies. Why the hell dont we take Bolts world 100m record away while were at it. Makes me sick, :x

By the way did the offending athlete's underwear match her uniform? The monster probably wore jewery also. :roll:
      phsstt!

Comment

Link?

Usually I fall on the side of a rules a rule, and in the case of the uniforms and jewelry it's hard to blame anyone but the coach or athlete. But IF this is exactly as the snippet reads it's disgusting.

Edit: Link - http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2009 ... 002/SPORTS
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
          Link?
          Usually I fall on the side of a rules a rule, and in the case of the uniforms and jewelry it's hard to blame anyone but the coach or athlete. But IF this is exactly as the snippet reads it's disgusting.
          Edit: Link - http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2009 ... 002/SPORTS
          As you saw on the link, there is no other context to the incident. She probably would have done well at State in the 100.

So we DQ Tiger for his fist pumps? And virtually every other athlete in the history of sport for celebrating a great personal goal?

Comment

I bet she also uses the wrong fork at dinner. These scofflaws must be stopped!

Comment

The official who made this decision should be DQd from officiating for life.
              I realize time is short but she should appeal. It took a year but an Okla state HJ ch was restored after the winner was initially DQ because he wore school issue basketball shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf

While I would tend to agree with the sentiment on what we know, I'd suspect there's more to the story. We've heard one side.
                There are no strings on me

Comment

While I would tend to agree with the sentiment on what we know, I'd suspect there's more to the story. We've heard one side.
                  True. We should hear the other side and then draw and quarter the official. :evil:

Comment

Ya gotta let kids rejoice a win. My personal opinion, anything short of running backwards, thumbs in ear finger waggle and a bronx cheer is not excessive celebration.

Comment

Ya gotta let kids rejoice a win. My personal opinion, anything short of running backwards, thumbs in ear finger waggle and a bronx cheer is not excessive celebration.
                      Do we have the IOC to blame for this - I bet these guys agreed with their idiotic opinions vis a vis Bolt.

Comment

Re: HS DQs, Part 114

The more I read about these situations it is becoming clearer and clearer that the rules are not the problem. The interpretation of the rules, however, is a big problem.

Either through stupidity or, worse, through design, we are seeing kids DQ'ed for no good reason. What a great way to turn kids off track and field.

Comment

True. We should hear the other side and then draw and quarter the official. :evil:
                          For being officious as opposed to being an official. There is a difference.

Comment

Oh boy, another chance to rail against the moronic fat-assed dumb-shit bureaucrats at the NFHS and their moronic fat-assed dumb-shit minions . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                              Oh boy, another chance to rail against the moronic fat-assed dumb-shit bureaucrats at the NFHS and their moronic fat-assed dumb-shit minions . . .
                              Rigghhttt!!!!! :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X