3 Kevin Sullivan Reebok-CAN 3:56.57
    4 Alan Webb NIKE 3:57.52

Re: Webb 3:57 - Next 100 post thread starts here

>1 Paul Korir NIKE-KEN 3:53.26
    2 Laban Rotich adidas-KEN 3:55.93
    3 Kevin
    >n Sullivan Reebok-CAN 3:56.57
    4 Alan Webb NIKE 3:57.52

Here's the first. Great job by the kid coming off a pretty good x-c double. Probably hasn't done much speed work(for the mile) either.

Comment

Re: Good job webb, wait until spring

Good job Alan Webb!!!!

I have a feeling a sub 3:53 is coming this spring.

I am starting to become a believer in Webb again.

Well what do you know, it was his appendix that was causing a lot of his past problems afterall.
      To come off all this cross country running a then post a 3:57 mile is indeed impressive.

Lets hold off on any more Webb discussing until prefontaine. That is going to be the most interesting race for Webb fans this spring.

Comment

Re: Good job webb, wait until spring

niiiccceee, got more hope in the fella for the oly's

Comment

Does anyone know the splits on this one?

Comment

>Does anyone know the splits on this one?

They are here(at least Webb's):

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ead=340144

Interesting comment from someone who ran against him last week-end.

Comment

Webb = Pyrah

The physical resemblance is uncanny.

Did Pyrah run cross-country?

Comment

Please wake me up when this nightmare is over.

Comment

My recollection had the 400 being 54, which Webb and Sullivan kindly ignored.

Solid race for Webb, 3:57 off base training is a good sign.

Key will be staying healthy. Last year I thought Webb looked a bit too muscular.

Last night, he was far more trim.

As I had seen him as a high schooler, he had the ability to accelerate, which I thought boded well to sprint finishing as he matured.

That acceleration aspect HAD been missing. If he recovers it and has 3:52 range then he'll be a factor this summer.

The hope is he continues to progress into sub-3:50 realm in the coming years....

and a renaissance in American miling occurs..

Comment

AZ-

Yes, I agree with what you said. His ability to acclerate is still the big question. However, he does seem to be going in the right direction. He is apparently very well conditioned and now has very good range. I am a little concerned with so much racing so early but it did work for him in 01, and I'm sure Raz has a detailed plan to get him ready for the trials. He also needs a little more racing than some of the others because the previous couple of years have derailed him. Each good race is building him back up.

The chemistry between Raz and AW is back. Webb is gaining more confidence in his ability to come back and in Raz in laying out a plan to get him back.

Two questions remain - will he get that killer finishing speed back and will he stay healthy? Time will tell but it is looking very promising.

Comment

<Two questions remain - will he get that killer <finishing speed back and will he stay healthy? <Time will tell but it is looking very promising.

Cyril, you and I both view Alan Webb almost identically.

He has the gifts to be Olympic/World finalist at some point in his career.

Hopefully the XC strength predicts good things for the rounds at trials in sacramento.

If he finds his "lost" closing ability, the stanford stable will be surprised in july.

Comment

With the exception of Robison the stanford stable is overrated. In the last 4 years not one stanford metric miler has made either an Olympic or World Championship final. Look at what happened to Gabe in 2000.

This spring we will see Webb at Prefontaine. This is the meet that will give us an indication on what kind of shape Webb is in. I believe a 3:52 mile is a definite possiblity. Robison, Webb, and Lunn are pretty damn good American milers.

It would be great spring for US miling if Webb runs a 3:52 at Prefontaine and Robison wins the NCAA Championship. I am feeling a lot better about US distance running lately.

However, it is a shame Lincoln may retire after 2005. His 7:40 3k this weekend is an indication that a sub 8:20 steeplechase is around the corner.

Comment

15mph... do your homework:

Jennings ran the WC 1,500m in Cananda 2001. Look at this years OT contenders from Stanford:

Robison
                          Lunn
                          Jennings
                          Stember
                          Sage
                          Hall (quarters or semis)

Comment

Jennings was a lot better than I thought.

I have no idea what has happened to the guy the last few years.

Comment

This spring we
                              >will see Webb at Prefontaine. This is the meet that will give us an indication
                              >on what kind of shape Webb is in. . . I am feeling a lot better about US distance
                              >running lately.

Let's hope Prefontaine meet goes better than last year! Happened to review a tape of it, Webb looked awful and Kennedy got buried by East Africans in the 5,000. Ancient history; but I still think we have no reason to be optimistic for U.S. distance. Let's enjoy the best the rest of the world has to offer --

Comment

Working...
                              X