Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Webb 3:57 - Next 100 post thread starts here

Watching Jennings at Edmonton was painful...

as was watching Webb last year...

Both have significant unknowns coming into this outdoor year.

Robison and Lunn would be my current selections, but there's 5 months of racing to establish who's in form.

Comment

Before last year I stopped following US distance running after the reign of Steve Holman. So someone like Jenning was unknown to me before last year. By looking at this site I thought Gabe was just a reasonably talent miler that went on a goofy bike trip.
      I did get to see Pyrah in the finals at the 2000 Olympics. As I remember it was at a sports bar and I said to myself, "well,what do you know Pyrah is finally running with the big boys". At the time Pyrah was 29 the same age Lunn is now. Perhaps we will see Lunn in the Olympic finals in Athens. Lunn and Pyrah share almost identical PRs.

I am almost certain Webb will run another 3:53 at Prefontaine this year.

Comment

Robison and Lunn would be my current selections, but there's 5 months
        >of racing to establish who's in form.

AZ-

Yes, but it all comes down to one day, one race and probably the last 100-300m of that race. Currently the only cleary superior athlete is Krum who may or may not run. The event is pretty much up for grabs. Being so close it will be won by the guy who runs the smartest and has the best finish. We know this - they all know this. Most recently this has been Lunn - a seasoned tactician. But, if Krum decides to double (which I think he should and probably will) he will change the thinking of the others. Also, if Webb can get his '01 finish back he may have others trying to move earlier. The sucker will be the one who leads before 1k. Most likely it will be very slow as usual through 8. Unless someone has the balls and/or stupidity to sacrifice himself to make it a full 1500m race (maybe Jennings?). Either way it will be alot of fun to watch.

Comment

i guess i will be the bad guy, but if a us runner makes the olympic final in the 1500, the only ones who will care is the hardcore fans. as it will be overshadowed by the people who win in other sports, especially the nba all stars. and if the nba all stars lose that would really be the center of the medias attention. for a track star to get their props, they have to win gold and/or set a world record, or at least be in contention to win with a gutsy effort like prefontaine. webb ran his best race in 2 and a half years, yet korir ran and hid in winning that race.

Comment

Re: Good job webb, wait until spring

Hold off on discussion of A. Webb until after the Pre Classic?? That's a promoter's nightmare! I wanna see 100, no 200, posts on this list between now and then about what Alan might run here on June 19th. (To get the discussion going, it looks good that El G will be returning to Eugene for the Bowerman Mile.)

Comment

Doug-

How our guys will do on the world scene is a different discussion than who will be on the team.

Unfortunatly those who are best suited to make the OGF aren't necessarily those who will make the US team. Due to pacing differences and more savvy international competition the OG will obviously require a much stronger athlete.

Who does the US have that can make the OG finals?

IMO, only Lunn and Krum have the strength and race smarts required and it will not be easy for these vets. For anyone else to make it to the finals is a very long-shot. But long-shots are what make sports exciting!

Comment

I'll say it here: Hall as the sleeper who makes the O.G. 1500m. team.

Comment

Working...
                X