Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which american distance runner will medal first?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• williamwindhamjr
    replied
    Um did you read the whole topic ?I named Galen,German,you know american born.I know Lagat won medals.Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    With the last Olympic medal (over 1500) by an American male being just over 4 years old and the last WC medal in the reigning champion being an American I think that this line of thought is somewhere just short of being ridiculously inapt.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    It's quite possible we will never see another American male medal over 1500m and longer.
    I'll put money on you being wrong, but I may be dead before I can collect, and I doubt if I'll be around past 2030.

Leave a comment:

• williamwindhamjr
    replied
    I definetly cant leave out kara Goucher.Whats up with Adam Goucher,at one point he seemed like a star on the rise.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by doug091463
    but as far as which will medal next (lagat,flanagan, meb and kastor recently have) i agree with the 2nd poster the odds are against any of them.
    You forgot to include Kara Goucher among the recently haves.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    Some bone-head run like the 1988 Seoul Olympics, and the Peter Rono's with American names have a chance of sneaking on in.
    True.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Some bone-head run like the 1988 Seoul Olympics, and the Peter Rono's with American names have a chance of sneaking on in.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    It's quite possible we will never see another American male medal over 1500m and longer.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Re: Which american distance runner will medal first?

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
    Which american distance runner will medal first in the worlds or the olympics.Galen,German,Alan?I love the way German is progressing.Galen seems to be getting the speed that is needed to finish at the elite level.I Alan is better than any miler,but needs to learn how to race.
    German's a pace runner. Three 4.09,6 1.600m runs (12.28,8/13.00 5.000m) without stopping isn't too far off the map for a guy of his stature. In four years. Now, however, he's due to miss a month following world juniors, so he'll have a longer entrance on to the outdoor scene following rest and recovery and a new build up.

Leave a comment:

• AthleticsInBritain
    replied
    What about Wheating? He seemed to impress last year. Nick Symmonds is as good a guess as anyone as Beijing showed that it's pretty much anyone's guess as to who's going to make the final!

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Webb. He's got all the tools, he just needs to get his race plan right. Ok he's inconsistent, but the law of averages must mean he's got to have a good day at the right time!

Leave a comment:

• williamwindhamjr
    replied
    Well Galen is getting faster.He ran a 3:57 indoor.In another 3 years,who knows.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    Fernandez will be interesting to watch. No way yet to gauge his potential, but his rate of improvement has been phenomenal.

For the rest, except for an aging Lagat, I can't see any potential medal winners. Take a look at the depth of the world lists before Americans begin to appear. Rupp simply does not have the turn-over rate to threaten in a major championship. He is so far away from the level of the Africans that it seems improbable he will finish in the same lap at a WR or OG final.

Leave a comment:

• williamwindhamjr
    replied
    Thank you gleason for proving my point.If you have a good college coach who sees the big picture than it can be done

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
    College distance runners can medal while in a college program,but they have to change their schedule of racing during an olympic year.
    Jim Ryun was 2nd in the 1968 OG 1500, but competed for Kansas in 1968 & 1969.

Joaquim Cruz won the 1984 OG 800 for Brazil and the 1984 NCAA for Oregon. Earl Jones was 3rd in the 1984 OG 800 for U.S. and was 2nd to Cruz in the 1984 NCAA 800 for Eastern Michigan.

Paul Ereng won the 1988 OG 800 for Kenyan and the 1988 NCAA 800 for Virginia.

I don't know if they changed "their schedule of racing."

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutra
    Originally posted by Gleason
    Originally posted by guruof track
    I'm voting for none. The college system for American distance runners does not teach them how to race. Unless they start changing their race modules at the collegiate level we wont soon see any of our distance runners (middle distance as well) winning any medals.
    Lagat ran for Washington State in the 1990s, yet he won OG medals at 1500 and his great 1500/5000 double win in 2007 WCh. Webb ran only one year at Michigan, so why has he failed to win a global medal?
    There was this Willis guy who had some success internationally and I seem to recall him running around in a uniform with a big "M" on it. I think it was a blue and maize uni.
    Yea, but he was just copying the shirt of that Sullivan guy...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X